Likes Likes:  18
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Adults should not do weightlifting, says Functional Training Guru Michael Boyle

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kim Goss View Post
    First, many excellent weightlifting coaches work out of Crossfit gyms.

I've seen many comments on Boyle's social media platforms this year in which he is promoting the same ideas he promoted in his 2004 book. However, now he is more vocal about the superiority of weightlifting movements from the hang and single-leg, partial range split squats.
    So, your beef is that he believes that when training someone who is not competing in weightlifting, eliminating the pull from the floor makes sense?

As I interpret his comments, it is not that a hang clean is a superior exercise than a clean, but rather considering all the other factors, he believes it makes sense to do it from the hang for his women's ice hockey team, as well as various other athletes that train at his complex. Are you suggesting that the first (or first and second, depending on how you classify things) pull is that much of a game changer?

Also-- many average to subpar coaches work in crossfit gyms.

Good discussion, lots for me to think about Coach. I appreciate the input

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by coachd50 View Post
    So, your beef is that he believes that when training someone who is not competing in weightlifting, eliminating the pull from the floor makes sense?

As I interpret his comments, it is not that a hang clean is a superior exercise than a clean, but rather considering all the other factors, he believes it makes sense to do it from the hang for his women's ice hockey team, as well as various other athletes that train at his complex. Are you suggesting that the first (or first and second, depending on how you classify things) pull is that much of a game changer?

Also-- many average to subpar coaches work in crossfit gyms.

Good discussion, lots for me to think about Coach. I appreciate the input
    Actually if I was coaching a random person off the street on the lifts and how to deadlift, I'd really simply start at the highest pin/box they could keep their back flat and their chest over the bar, then bring it down every training session until they're on the floor. A lot of people just can't keep back tightness from the floor well unless taught. For me personally box/rack/hang lifts helped me a lot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by celicaxx View Post
    Actually if I was coaching a random person off the street on the lifts and how to deadlift, I'd really simply start at the highest pin/box they could keep their back flat and their chest over the bar, then bring it down every training session until they're on the floor. A lot of people just can't keep back tightness from the floor well unless taught. For me personally box/rack/hang lifts helped me a lot.
    Good point! I've also found that starting off new athletes with hex bar deadlifts enable them to learn how to get the back into the proper alignment (as the hands are at the sides, rather than in front of the body).