Quote Originally Posted by coachd50 View Post
I can't speak directly to these "swinging cheat curls" as I have never seen him discuss those. I have seen video of him teaching power cleans from the high hang and hang and referencing Glenn Pendlay in the instruction.

Also, I have only seen him teaching split squats/ rear elevated split squats going down to a front leg parallel position. Not partial range of motion versions of that exercise.

Are you saying that he is advocating that all athletes use wedge boards, or just the athletes that are lacking the ankle mobility so that they can perform the exercises until their mobility catches up?

Regarding basketball, you don't think the countless hours of jumping, landing, cutting is an example of absorbing, storing and redirecting force? Those injuries are overuse injuries caused from the athletes playing basketball year round from the ages of 8 or 9.

I understand your (and other's here) points of view considering it is coming from a weightlifting background. I am just saying I could see where S&C coaches who are training large groups of higher level (not high school) athletes might not think Cleans, Jerks and Snatches are worth the squeeze.
Boyle has posted many videos of his athletes doing these swinging hang cleans. I saw one video where he referenced Glenn Pendlay, but when you see Boyle's athletes lift, they usually start flat footed, push their hips well back, then thrust their hips forward, causing the bar to move slightly above horizontal. Then they loop it back, often performing a Boston Stomp in the process.

The cover of Boyle's book, "New Functional Training for Sports," shows an athlete doing a split squat and the top of the front leg higher than parallel to the floor. Again, Boyle is anti-back squat.

In a recent Instagram video (that I can no longer access because he banned me), Boyle advocates doing his goblet squats with the high wedge board to compensate for lack of ankle flexibility. So his approach seems to be one of identifying flexibility issues, then work around them by performing partial range movements with resistance?

One of the primary causes of overuse injuries is muscle imbalance, which can be caused by emphasizing partial range of motion exercises. It's been found in track and field that runners who do not lift weights are more susceptible to overuse issues, along with other types of injuries. With basketball, not working the limbs through a full range of motion can cause the tendons to lose their elasticity.

I had this "worth the squeeze" argument with one Division I strength coach who told me he didn't have time to teach his athletes the full clean. This is in spite of seeing many of his future athletes at their high school training camps, having a year of red shirting, and then four more years of training. So five years, and then some, is not enough time to teach a clean? Seriously?