Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Dizziness on cleans, front squats

Post Thanks / Like

Dizziness on cleans, front squats

Hello friends!

Here is today's topic. Dizziness on the clean or front squat.

I used to suffer from this for years, then fixed it. Then took a little time off WLing, and it came back. Now, I have fixed it again.
    For me, if I focus on keeping hard tension in my abs specifically, I do not go dizzy. If I focus on my back, keeping an arch, or similar, I always go dizzy, anywhere from 70-80% up, I get that blackout moment, and the heavier the weight goes, the longer it stays, which obviously kills your confidence pre-jerk as well as being a bit dangerous.

I asked mastrength about it, and they mentioned pointing the elbows out raises the bar off the neck and helps create a better rack.

Anyone else had similar experiences?

Also, can anyone explain the biological reasons of keeping tension in the abs helping me not pass out vs not?

Post Thanks / Like
    Good question. The "windpipe" thing never made any sense to me. I've heard pinching a nerve or artery, but I haven't had that problem... yet.

Have you tried some deep breathing before cleans to see if it made a difference?

Post Thanks / Like
    if you're racking the bar into your neck, then yeah, it can be an issue. Surprisingly, it doesn't take much pressure to get choked out if your artery is being pinched (even a little). Do it in jiu jistu all the time (hence the tap)

If im doing heavy CJ (>90%), i personally have to make sure that the bar is on my shoulders but not pushed into my neck (like Ma apparently told you). I have to raise my rack as it were. Recently, it's also helped if i point my chin more upwards and back as if i was looking at the clouds (say 45*?). I don't force anything of course, just raise my lats (which raise my elbows without changing their angle), look up a little, and go...

also food. Lack of food makes me feel faint. But i assume you already have that part checked...

Post Thanks / Like
    I suffered from this forever. It literally kept me from front squatting even close to my potential, still does. But after years (since 2010) ov this bullshit, i finally figured out what it was. It started when i got better at front squatting... ie: better form. Once i fixed my upper thorassic mobility... i started backing out. It was counter-intuitive and stupid. NO ONE could fix it. Quite a few good coaches took a shot. I'd get light-headed anywhere from 160-180, even as light as 140 sometimes... and i could squat 200. Best ever was 210 was shittier form, but once i fixed it, i couldn't go above 180. I tried EVERYTHING.

Well... turns out, you can be too mobile. By that i mean, i was cranking my elbows up too high. I started playing with it, and dropped my elbows considerably, but pushed the 'shelf' up. I dont see many lifters doing this... from intermediate to elite, so i never thought to try. Second i did... no more light-headedness. I hit 200 quickly again, and only an adductor tweak kept me from going higher (at a much lighter bodyweight mind you).

Since then, no issues. I'm only powercleaning now... so i might never do a full-clean again, but so far, to 150 anyways, no issues.

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe this is kind of weird. My best front rack hold for a 2-3 count was 240kg. Best front squat 125. I decided to be dumb and pretend to be Liao Hui with the front rack holds, felt cool.

For me one thing I learned in any sort of front rack hold is I actually have a full grip on the bar, and pretty simply I just apply upward pressure with my arms through the whole ROM of the squat and rack hold, then I guess this takes the pressure off my front rack position. Keep in mind, this is not the noob sort of thing with a wrong front rack position holding the bar in your hands, I can front squat no hands/bar just sitting on my clavicles arms in front of me with 40-50kg no problem, I still definitely am actually racking the bar, I just find to be comfortable you do need to actually apply a bit of upward force to the bar with your hands/arms with a full grip. With the full grip and upward force you also essentially micro-adjust the bar sitting on the clavicles as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you not feel that pushing up with the arms messes with your jerk celicaxx?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CNL View Post
    Do you not feel that pushing up with the arms messes with your jerk celicaxx?
    My jerk sucks, and I'm also a power jerker with long arms.

I guess what I mean by pushing up is this. If you've ever gotten spotted on a bench press before, and had a guy put two fingers on while you're sticking at the sticking point, he's obviously not applying a lot of pressure, but it's just enough pressure to get you through the sticking point, that couple of pounds. So in this regard I don't think it's an all or nothing affair, just the amount of pressure changes with the weight and scenario. For example on the bottom of a heavy front squat, I'm pushing up on the bar a lot with the arms, if it's light, maybe just the tiniest of pressure to position the bar comfortably. So on the jerk I think it's the same, you want to apply just enough pressure that you're not continuously pressing the bar, but enough pressure to keep the weight comfortably on your chest. I think in the very moment of the actual jerk I do actually relieve some pressure from the bar with my hands, but if you're just paused waiting to catch your breath for the jerk, it's better to have some upward force on the bar with your hands to make it so you can breathe. Of course all this assumes a full grip or at the very least the palm touching the bar, it's hard to really put a lot of pressure on the bar with just your fingertips.

If you look at Liao Hui here with the front rack hold, he has a full grip and definitely looks to be pushing up on the bar through it.

I mean I'm a shitty lifter, so whatever, but that's what I do, and I find it comfortable.

Oh yeah, I did have some problems with dizziness since I've been training sporadically for about 2 years now. In my case I've kind of determined it's actually my cardio sucking and not technique. So if your cardio sucks you might just be getting dizzy from exertion (me) but if you're feeling choked out it could be the front rack technique. I'd not feel dizzy on a clean or a jerk by itself, but on clean and jerks I would, so I think it's actually cardio there.