Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: nutrition in offseason (when you don't have access to gym)

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    142
    Post Thanks / Like

    nutrition in offseason (when you don't have access to gym)

    I will be leaving in two weeks to spend the summer with my in-laws. Unfortunately, there's no gym close by, nor will I have the convenience of training even if there were a gym. Any tips/ideas for how to eat so that I keep as much of my lean mass as possible? I will be doing lots of walking (sight-seeing) and possibly sprints in the morning before my wife wakes up.

    I typically eat around 2700 cals/day when training regular volume, so I was thinking of reducing this to around 2400 cals/day, along with upping the amount of protein and dropping the amount of fats and carbs. (I am looking to stay around my current weight of 75). Finally, I will also be continuing taking creatine and protein (casein and whey isolate). Should I also take BCAA or essential amino acids, or do you think I will be getting enough through the protein (meats, fish, powder, etc.)?

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    317
    Post Thanks / Like
    Probably fine without the aminos and protein powder for that matter if you're eating well. You could probably maintain your lean mass with push ups, pull ups and sprints.

  3. Likes Blairbob liked this post
  4. #3
    Member Blairbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    2,988
    Post Thanks / Like
    Did some googling. So Creatine usage actually seems to increase Test in some studies by 20%. One study went from an average of high 570s to 707. While that sounds great, at the end of the day 20% in the real world doesn't actually make a lot of difference but it's a start if it could be compounded with other things (besides just taking 300g of suspended Test via needle).

    In a few other studies, Creatine significantly seems to increase free Test (especially in one that used Cr+BetaAlanine). Another paper I read suppose that it may affect DHT as well besides Testosterone levels.

    One paper showed a megadose of 20g of Cr significantly spiked gh levels. However 20g of creatine may also give you diarrhea

    One of the only reasons to use BCAA is to trigger mTor via Leucine since a dose of whey may not hit the 3g mark of Leucine to trigger mTor. Or to use BCAA's when you are cutting diets (only about 70kcals/dose). Or to pay for an overpriced product to pad someone's wallet.

    I usually cut out creatine if I'm gonna try to make weight a few weeks out to possibly more. And then I usually don't start taking it again until I resume hard training including volume.

    But looking at creatine use, it might make sense to dose it even when not in training. More DHT, happier wife.

    Getting back to it, I would probably set your fat levels around 1g/lb of LBM. They usually say 1g/lb but you might be able to go as low as per LBM not total BW. At 75kg, I can't imagine your BF levels are that high. This is just for good hormone function. Protein intake probably could go as low as 0.75g/lb of LBM to BW or 1:1. Fill the rest with carbs, maybe some fat. Track BF levels with a mirror in the morning using jiggle/search for ab method. If I crunch the math using these methods, you still get to eat like 300-350grams of carbs per day! Sounds a bit tbh. 100g of pro, 75g of fat leaves you about 150g of carbs. Cut 10g of fat and you could get 22 more g of carbs. Could go under 100g of protein but umm, who wants to?!

    Not sure if you can rig it, but you could try doing car pushes for strength if you have a lot of space without much around. Maybe get a sledgehammer and find a tire?

    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11297004

    https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/42e...21042e6e9e.pdf

    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19741313

    https://examine.com/nutrition/does-c...ause-hairloss/

  5. #4
    Member Judas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,664
    Post Thanks / Like
    Man... there is sooooo much you can do to not just maintain your strength, but actually build it so you come back stronger... no gym, no bars. Explosive strength and power are even easier (than say bodybuilding with no gym). I have a double bodyweight raw bench and i can still find push-ups that destroy me... and i mean in under 8 reps. These are so effective that i wished i'd had the extra time to do them after my upper body workouts when i was still training that way. Anything from bench ROM, to press ROM. Lower body? God... way too easy... Further, if you're a two-trick pony (like i am), and you always do just barbell work in the gym, then this will only serve as a great break in schedule and training... talk about mixing things up...

    The ONLY thing you cant do without a bar is specifically practice bar movements. But look at the elites... they actually do quite a bit away from the platform... ALL things you can do at a log cabin in Northern Svalbard.

    I find i'm more active on vacation... i lose weight with the same calories. I'd say dont worry about it, and watch the scale... if you start losing (as a pattern over time) up the cals. Adjust as needed. Numbers are as useless as BCAA's...

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    142
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Blairbob View Post
    Did some googling. So Creatine usage actually seems to increase Test in some studies by 20%. One study went from an average of high 570s to 707. While that sounds great, at the end of the day 20% in the real world doesn't actually make a lot of difference but it's a start if it could be compounded with other things (besides just taking 300g of suspended Test via needle).

    In a few other studies, Creatine significantly seems to increase free Test (especially in one that used Cr+BetaAlanine). Another paper I read suppose that it may affect DHT as well besides Testosterone levels.

    One paper showed a megadose of 20g of Cr significantly spiked gh levels. However 20g of creatine may also give you diarrhea

    One of the only reasons to use BCAA is to trigger mTor via Leucine since a dose of whey may not hit the 3g mark of Leucine to trigger mTor. Or to use BCAA's when you are cutting diets (only about 70kcals/dose). Or to pay for an overpriced product to pad someone's wallet.

    I usually cut out creatine if I'm gonna try to make weight a few weeks out to possibly more. And then I usually don't start taking it again until I resume hard training including volume.

    But looking at creatine use, it might make sense to dose it even when not in training. More DHT, happier wife.

    Getting back to it, I would probably set your fat levels around 1g/lb of LBM. They usually say 1g/lb but you might be able to go as low as per LBM not total BW. At 75kg, I can't imagine your BF levels are that high. This is just for good hormone function. Protein intake probably could go as low as 0.75g/lb of LBM to BW or 1:1. Fill the rest with carbs, maybe some fat. Track BF levels with a mirror in the morning using jiggle/search for ab method. If I crunch the math using these methods, you still get to eat like 300-350grams of carbs per day! Sounds a bit tbh. 100g of pro, 75g of fat leaves you about 150g of carbs. Cut 10g of fat and you could get 22 more g of carbs. Could go under 100g of protein but umm, who wants to?!

    Not sure if you can rig it, but you could try doing car pushes for strength if you have a lot of space without much around. Maybe get a sledgehammer and find a tire?

    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11297004

    https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/42e...21042e6e9e.pdf

    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19741313

    https://examine.com/nutrition/does-c...ause-hairloss/

    Yes, those numbers seem nice . Consuming 150 g of protein, 75 g of fat, and 280 g of carbs adds up to 2395 cals (using the standard averages of 4 - 9 - 4 cal/g).

    I was thinking higher protein and lower fat, only because when I look at the diet of a bodybuilder (whose job it is to create/maintain lean BM) they tend to eat more protein and less fat than the typical strength athlete. So I was assuming that the fat would not play as important of a role when you weren't training (not at all saying that bodybuilders don't train, just that their purpose of eating/training is different than a strength athlete's purpose of eating/training).

    My wife has informed me that near her mom's house (around 3/4 km) there is a natural rock wall (around 7 m high) that the local school takes the kids to for bouldering/climbing (they even have a few 5c, 6a, and 6b routes). So, I might try doing that. I've bouldered/climbed a few times here in the states (but only inside at a gym) and came away thinking that it was a pretty good overall workout.

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    142
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Judas View Post
    Man... there is sooooo much you can do to not just maintain your strength, but actually build it so you come back stronger... no gym, no bars. Explosive strength and power are even easier (than say bodybuilding with no gym). I have a double bodyweight raw bench and i can still find push-ups that destroy me... and i mean in under 8 reps. These are so effective that i wished i'd had the extra time to do them after my upper body workouts when i was still training that way. Anything from bench ROM, to press ROM. Lower body? God... way too easy... Further, if you're a two-trick pony (like i am), and you always do just barbell work in the gym, then this will only serve as a great break in schedule and training... talk about mixing things up...

    The ONLY thing you cant do without a bar is specifically practice bar movements. But look at the elites... they actually do quite a bit away from the platform... ALL things you can do at a log cabin in Northern Svalbard.

    I find i'm more active on vacation... i lose weight with the same calories. I'd say dont worry about it, and watch the scale... if you start losing (as a pattern over time) up the cals. Adjust as needed. Numbers are as useless as BCAA's...
    Thanks! I will do some research into bodyweight exercises.

  8. #7
    Member Blairbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    2,988
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was thinking higher protein and lower fat, only because when I look at the diet of a bodybuilder (whose job it is to create/maintain lean BM) they tend to eat more protein and less fat than the typical strength athlete.
    If they run test & gear, they don't need to worry about consuming fat to derive sex hormones from. So they cut fat low and put it towards protein and carbs.

    I mean, can't you just get or build one of those wannabe KB things to bring along? There is a lot you can do with a 1.5pood or 1pood bell.

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    142
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Blairbob View Post
    If they run test & gear, they don't need to worry about consuming fat to derive sex hormones from. So they cut fat low and put it towards protein and carbs.

    I mean, can't you just get or build one of those wannabe KB things to bring along? There is a lot you can do with a 1.5pood or 1pood bell.
    Shit, I can probably find a heavy object with a handle. I had not even thought of that. Thanks for the idea!

  10. Likes Blairbob liked this post
  11. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    11
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah but the amount of fat actually used to make steroid hormones is minuscule.

    Unless you're a lab rat eating fruits, veg and protein shakes, it's incredibly unlikely that you're under-eating fat period and still unlikely that you're under-eating fat from a performance standpoint. Though many people associate cutting fat with decreased libido/sex hormone production etc, I'm sceptical if that's because of decreased fat itself, or the decreased energy intake as a result of decreased fats.

    From a survival standpoint, if you're starving, you probably prefer pizza first. Then fucking. Hunger will kill off a species faster than impotence.

    It's unlikely if you eat real and reasonably tasty foods that you will ever under-eat fats. Meat for protein, grains/fruits for carbohydrates and vegetables. If you're a vegan, you should probably eat more protein than an omnivore and may need to be more deliberate with regards to protein source.

    Even if it's not that tasty and you're dropping fats pretty low (like I do to lose weight), I don't think it's much different to dropping carbs to lose weight. The energy deficit is what drives a lot of the malaise and shittiness caused by dieting, not low fat or carbohydrates or whatever.

    In terms of gaining weight, I think that as long as you get in a decent amount of carbs (enough to train really hard) and protein then whatever you eat beyond that for calories doesn't really matter.
    Last edited by strapping; 06-14-2019 at 02:31 AM. Reason: spelling errors and further elaboration

  12. #10
    Member Blairbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    2,988
    Post Thanks / Like
    Though many people associate cutting fat with decreased libido/sex hormone production etc, I'm sceptical if that's because of decreased fat itself, or the decreased energy intake as a result of decreased fats.
    Well being in caloric deficit tends to drop hormones. Anyways, low fat to high fat seems to drop hormone levels by 10-15%. Noticeable but not substantial.

    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6538617 fat and how it relates to men

    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4763493/ fat and how it relates to women.

    https://www.physiology.org/doi/full/...l.1997.82.1.49

    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5312216/

    https://academic.oup.com/jcem/article/90/6/3550/2870596

    Actually dropping the carbohydrate to protein level also changes hormones levels. So there is that.

    Here's some I found searching for omnivores vs vegetarians as to hormone levels. I had always heard vegan men had higher testoserone levels but the part they left out was lower free test and higher shbg.

    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2526906

    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10883675

    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/4014062

    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20211044 on women

    https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...744?via%3Dihub compares hormone level changes in a few different diets. Also sperm quality between diets.

    High-fat diet with switch to low-fat diet Men fed high-fat diet for 2 wk had decreased SHBG (21.7 ± 6.8 vs 19.5 ± 7.6 nmol/L; P < .02); when switching to low-fat diet for additional 2 wk, SHBG increased (19.5 ± 7.6 vs 24.8 ± 7.9 nmol/L; P < .01) and serum free T decreased (573 ± 177 vs 453 ± 138 pmol/L; P < .05)
    that's a drop of over 20% in Test levels and SHBG going up by over 20%.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •