Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Hip flexor/groin discomfort

Post Thanks / Like

Hip flexor/groin discomfort

So I've even dealing with some hip flexor/groin discomfort. I stopped squatting for about a month and just did powers but I can actually feel the sensation when pulling the bar off the floor as well. I've dealt with this before but it usually goes away on its own. And suggestions for working around this? Any suggestions for some rehab or warmups prior to lifting that may help. Lastly is it common for a hip flexor strain to be felt in the inner leg/groin area or am I dealing with two different issues here? Thanks in advance!

Post Thanks / Like
    Sports massage
    More one legged training, light, higher reps
    Do you ever do unilateral training?

Post Thanks / Like
    Can you do a pistol squat aka one leg squat?

If not then your intra muscular coordination may be off/non-optimal.

For warm ups, try include a hip thrust variation in your warm up routine. Simply take a small weight 1-2, max 10 lbs, and hold it between for knees while you do hip thrust. I usually do 15-30 reps in my warm ups.

Post Thanks / Like
    Physical therapist here. It is common for a hip flexor strain to refer to the groin. However, there are a number of other possible diagnoses in that anatomical area. Correctly identifying the problem is critical in formulating the most effective approach to return to full movements. PM me if you like, always happy to help out.

Post Thanks / Like
    So my hip is still bothering me and I will be seeing someone about it soon. In the meantime I have to do something lower body wise or I'm gonna go crazy lol. Squatting is out of the question so that leaves me with some sort of pull. Which type of pull is going to put less pressure on the hip flexor/ groin area; a higher hip position hinge (straight leg deadlift/rdl) or a lower hip position such as a clean pull? This way I can at least do some sort of variation while I get things figured out. Thanks in advance!