Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Trouble with squats

Post Thanks / Like

Trouble with squats

Have an interesting situation looking for advice on. In the last 12-18 months my training methods have matured. Trading consistent strength training (LOTS o SKWATS) for PR attempts an Sn/CJ every workout.

Took my max from 190-195 to 215, see below.

Issue, I built new maxes via volume. 10s... 8s... some 6. Varied approach recently to reduce to 3x3 or 5x3. Good news - recovery felt great, I felt strong ready to hit it. Bad news. Pulled left vastus medialis (mild) on first rep of 80% 172/380#. First actual non impact injury in years. It recovered in about 2 weeks but I was fearful of way worse.

Here is more bad news, my right vastus medialis feels weak. Not like it can’t generate power, but more like “she’s gonna blow!!!”

So there’s the back story, here’s the question. What in my technique or anyone’s, exerts imbalanced and overloaded pressure on vastus medialis ? I am worried I am going to squat myself into a more serious injury, all while 227/500# is right around the corner.

I appreciate your suggestions.

Last edited by Drewc64; 06-22-2019 at 11:41 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you shifting toward your left on the way up? Angle is funky as it's from the diagonal instead of straight on thirst shot? Do you split on the left? Any other weight shift unilateral dominant sports?

Post Thanks / Like
    Have a deload week
    Get some sports massage
    Do some unilateral training with very light weights

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CNL View Post
    Have a deload week
    Get some sports massage
    Do some unilateral training with very light weights
    Thanks for suggestion, it just so happened I had some travel for work the following week so I did deload (unless you count Top Golf). Took about 12-15 days off any leg work.

I will try to start incorporating some unilateral training.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Blairbob View Post
    Are you shifting toward your left on the way up? Angle is funky as it's from the diagonal instead of straight on thirst shot? Do you split on the left? Any other weight shift unilateral dominant sports?
    Thanks for comment sir. I dont feel like I am shifting during squat. I do jerk left front first. But it wouldn't explain how the exact same muscle on the other side is also having issue.

Sorry I didnt have a better video. I dont have many squat only videos and none from front or multi angle. Maybe post another next week.