Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it ok to deadlift on a Pyrros bar?

Post Thanks / Like

Is it ok to deadlift on a Pyrros bar?

Not as simple as the title suggests lol but I convinced the gym I work at to get a nice weightlifting bar (rogue pyrros bar). The manager won't let me make it for Olympic Weightlifing use only because only a small number of people do it and he said if he's going to spend the money everyone has to be able to use it. So really there is nothing I can do about it but for my own peace of mind, I just want to know if bending of the bar should be a concern considering there are at least 3 guys who deadlift in the low 600's? Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    I dont know what a Pyrros bar is, but a gym i train at sometimes has Rogue 'Operator' bars (they're army green, 28mm, both PL and Oly markings, very much like an Ivanko OBX20 in look and feel), and they've taken shit tons ov abuse... 600lb squats, mid-600 pulls, etc. They're ancient now, and still straight. I think they were about a $300 bar when they were new... nothing fancy by any means.

The only issue i see with letting non-weightlifters use it, is that it will get racked in metal benches/racks. If your benches/racks have metal cradles, your snatch-grip knurling is going to go smooth very quickly. My gym has OBX20 bars... the best PL bar made in my opinion, but they are gym bars (both bench and racks have metal cradles) so the knurl at the ends is smooth as chrome. I cant snatch on them without straps and a lot ov chalk. C&J, just fine, but snatches are OUT. I do all my C&J on the Ivanko bar we have, but on snatch day i bring my Eleiko. No way in HELL i'd leave my Eleiko there unlocked.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hahah, maybe the gen pop ppl will use other bars bc the knurl on the Dimas bar will chew their hands like a dog and pigs ears.

They should make a rule that they shouldnt be used for rack pulls/shrugs over #600 or landmines.

Post Thanks / Like
    Should be fine. Its slamming it into the rack or onto pins with shit weights for shit exercises that ruin good bars.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah so that's the positive part, it's in a separate room in the gym where there are no racks. All of the benches and squat rack are in a different room so that's positive. He even let me put labels around the collars that say deadlift/Olympic lifting only. That's why I was specifically asking about deadlifts hurting it or not. Because I think online the rogue bars say something about a 200kg max so I just wanted to be sure.

Post Thanks / Like
    I doubt anything Pyrros puts his name to would get wrecked from a 200kg deadlift.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CNL View Post
    I doubt anything Pyrros puts his name to would get wrecked from a 200kg deadlift.
    I doubt Pyrros has any input on how that bar is constructed....

but almost anything shouldn't really get rekt from a 200 DL.

Post Thanks / Like
    Try this...

Show him an Eleiko comp bar at 800 or w/e. Get him to pony up the spend, the. Show him the pyrros and convince him to buy 2 new bars.

The bar itself won’t stress from a 600# deadlift. That said I think if you put the bar in general population, you are likely to find one way or another where a careless lifter takes a high functioning bearing bar and makes it as good as the next $100 imported bar on the bench press rack.

Post Thanks / Like
    It should handle 800lb deadlifts with no problem. As was said, beating up the knurling is the biggest risk.

Post Thanks / Like
    So, the Pyrros bar is an IWF approved bar now, so if it can't handle 600# DL, then it's not really that caliber a bar. I should think it'll handle 400-500kg DL, tbh!! It should be designed to hit 300 kg CJ!!