Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: maintaining/building work capacity in the off-season

Post Thanks / Like

maintaining/building work capacity in the off-season

I've been staying with my in-laws in France for the past week and we will be here until the beginning of August. They live in a small city with, unfortunately, no place to train. So, after getting some advice for a few people here, I've been trying to include some body-weight exercises and kettle bell (really large jugs filled with water) work in an attempt to not lose everything that I worked for this past training year.

These simple exercises don't seem to tax my body all that much, so I am considering doing some other types of exercises, mainly to keep my work capacity up (and a decent cardiovascular system). When I played football in college, we would have some pretty intense off-season condition exercises that seemed to help out a lot with this. We would run a lot of 110s, gassers, 300s, agility drills, etc., but I'm not sure how well they would translate over to weightlifting (I remember reading that fairly intense long-range cardio workouts -- running -- could be counterproductive to weightlifting). So, long blurb short, what are you thoughts on running 110s and gassers (or other short sprint-like running) as a way to keep in shape. Also, we would do a lot of bounding exercises as well in the off-season. Do you think those types of exercises would be okay (broad jumps for 50 yards, bounding for 50 yards, etc.)?

Well hell, I guess the better question would be: Are there any types of conditioning drills football players (or other sports: throwers, gymnasts, etc.) use in the off-season that would not be advised for weightlifters in the off-season; are there some that would be better than others?

Sorry for the long blurb...

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you remember what Ilya was doing in his offseason after London?

If it's the offseason and you are very far out from competing, it's fine to just do GPP stuff besides walk/bike/swim.

For elite gymnasts who are out of the gym in their offseason its pretty much do whatever they want and live life like anyone else. I think it's only a recent phenomenon by the gals where they are out of the gym for long periods of time and the only one that really successfully has come back seems to be Simone. Nastia Liukin and Shawn Johnson tried and couldn't do it. I've never heard of the guys doing it besides just taking it easy in the gym.

3. Likes Gary Echternacht liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Blairbob View Post
    Do you remember what Ilya was doing in his offseason after London?

If it's the offseason and you are very far out from competing, it's fine to just do GPP stuff besides walk/bike/swim.

For elite gymnasts who are out of the gym in their offseason its pretty much do whatever they want and live life like anyone else. I think it's only a recent phenomenon by the gals where they are out of the gym for long periods of time and the only one that really successfully has come back seems to be Simone. Nastia Liukin and Shawn Johnson tried and couldn't do it. I've never heard of the guys doing it besides just taking it easy in the gym.
    Sounds good.

No, I'm not familiar with what Ilya was doing. What was he doing?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jackie View Post
    Sounds good.

No, I'm not familiar with what Ilya was doing. What was he doing?

One of these men is olympic champion in weightlifting

6. Likes Blairbob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Basically he wasn't WLing. He was chilling and doing what normal ppl do. RnR.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jockomoron View Post

Ha, crazy how Klokov makes everyone look out of shape

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Blairbob View Post
    Basically he wasn't WLing. He was chilling and doing what normal ppl do. RnR.
    I'd like to stay in slightly better shape than Ilya during my off-season

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jackie View Post
    I'd like to stay in slightly better shape than Ilya during my off-season
    Heh... all comes down to goals and motivations. Fuckin' bastard probably still C&J's 220 without training, 'looking like that'...

Sprints and leaps are explosive power training, and simple. Check out the kind ov push-ups and upper body plyo that throwers do. Hell, you could just do some throwing if you know anything about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jockomoron View Post
    Neither of these men is olympic champion in weightlifting.

12. Likes erpel, jockomoron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleddau View Post
    Neither of these men is olympic champion in weightlifting.
    You have your version, we have ours.

14. Likes Blairbob liked this post