Likes Likes:  6
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Empty bar work on off days?

Post Thanks / Like
    I do believe that light exercise does promote recovery. Both light bodybuilding and bar work can be a form of light exercise. Bar work is just more specific.

Whether or not there is a causal effect, I don't know. Can't do an experiment with only one subject.

2. Likes Blairbob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    what self massage do you like, Gary?

Post Thanks / Like
    I started with Rich Poley on You Tube. He had written a book Self Massage for Athletes. Can't remember why I picked him. Like most things I do, I modified things to make it my own. Legs, hips, and shoulders are easy and relaxing. Back is hard to do--foam rollers, lacrosse balls, and my rubber mallet.

There is a ton of stuff on You Tube.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Erdman View Post
    I can't tell what you are saying at the end there. You feel like you could go for a PR during the easy session, or the mobility work and ~60% weight make you feel like you could go for a PR in the next session?
    Basically i train a sort ov Bulgarian style. I do as much as i can that day, no real programming. Daily maxes, then a few back-off sets. Coming from powerlifting (as you know) one ov my biggest weaknesses is STILL god damn expectations. So, when i come in specifically to do a light day (ie: there is zero pressure to perform), i ALWAYS do better. Heh... just tonight, an hour ago... I have a big session tomorrow, so tonight i just hauled out the greens and yellows... was going to PC&J to 80, 90ish. Nice and easy, tight, smooth, etc. Ended up topping at 140 (which is 97% on the bar i was using). I even thought about doing a second rep, which would have been a PR on that bar. This... after a heavy bench/press night last night. God damn expectations...

The extra mobility work doesn't help lifting that day, if anything, it weakens me a tad. I only need so much to perform... 30-45 minutes or so. Maybe an hour to snatch. Any more and its just getting redundant.

Post Thanks / Like
    That is the thing about stretching. Any more than is typical means you have to rebuild the microtears and whatnot. There is that fine line and how fast you recover probably varies per individual.

Post Thanks / Like
    Gabriel Sîncrăian just mentioned after his maxout with Clarence, doing 50-60% for a few weeks.

I was still sore on Wed from Sunday and managed to PSn 70 on the 3rd try. Hamstrings too tight, just no pull. that's 80% of my best Power but I haven't PSn 84 in over a year. My best since AO3 has been 80 and I think 82 will come back soon based on an attempt I did with it last week. Technically 70 is a lil bit more than 70% of my SN (98 though of late and since AO3 91 is the most I've done).

I did feel better after the session than before.

It's noted in my log but I managed to hit 86 yesterday with 3 misses at 88. Pull just wasn't there. Hitting a 75 PSN was tough as I had to go 70-73-75. Pull was way stronger than the day before but hamstrings were still a bit tight. Even 70 after an attempt of a MuSn with 66 wasn't easy.

So anyways, I think 70% may be a bit much. I know when I do some light days I'll do something like 50/50 or 50/70 maybe 70/84 for powers or full at most.

50% would be light seeing as I usually start with 50 for a MuSn or Power (if my shoulder is bugging me for a MuSn). 70 I usually PC maybe 75 or 80 if I feel good that day to start.

I actually typed everything above earlier but forgot to submit it. After 2 days of Snatching, low volume of reps, my left shoulder was definitely feeling a bit more sore than usual on jerks. I'm sure it will feel splendid tomorrow on cleans but I'm just gonna do a single, squat, and maybe try some nordic curls

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Blairbob View Post
    That is the thing about stretching. Any more than is typical means you have to rebuild the microtears and whatnot. There is that fine line and how fast you recover probably varies per individual.

Maybe i'm lucky? in a way? I have such a ridiculous surplus ov strength that i can essentially over stretch, and lose some punch, and still do well. While i did say it was redundant, i'm not sure i've ever stretched so much that it cost me performance... and years ago i'd stretch upwards ov 90-120 minutes before olympic lifting. I've seen this happen in weaker lifters though.