Likes Likes:  13
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: SHW men have the worst technique.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog73 View Post
    Just want to chime in that I totally agree with you all!! I've been saying this for a while (not out loud, because most lifters look up to SHW's due to sheer numbers that are put up).

Weller had decent tech for a super, but that's about it. Mostly, those guys rely on stupid amounts of strength, imho.
    Damn, how I did I forget Weller. Maybe the greatest grip and rip snatchers of all time.

This thread isn't complete without mentioned Chingiz Mogushkov. His 230kg dirty-clean-bar-hump-with-split press out is legendary. The thing should have gotten about 8 red lights.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkpeter View Post
    Damn, how I did I forget Weller. Maybe the greatest grip and rip snatchers of all time.

This thread isn't complete without mentioned Chingiz Mogushkov. His 230kg dirty-clean-bar-hump-with-split press out is legendary. The thing should have gotten about 8 red lights.
    Why? I wasn’t pretty but he managed to lock it out pretty well considering.

Mogushkov’s technique isn’t that bad considering his size. He lifted pretty well in 2013/14 but has gone downhill since.

Post Thanks / Like
    In the same vein of this thread, I would also want to say that most "modern" Eastern European lifters (post 2000s) have poor technique and are not the model lifter that others should be striving to emulate. By poor technique I mean bad timing, rhythm, and sometimes even positions. I think most spend wayyyyyyyyy too much time at the top of the pull before transitioning under the barbell, hump the barbell too hard, or stay over the barbell too long. Let's not forget about forgotten technique of jerking the barbell correctly that North Korea seems to teach everyone the exact same, precise way. Western European and Asian lifters have more classical technique in line with the best from the '80s and '90s.

4. Likes psstein liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkpeter View Post
    Speaking of Taranenko, are there any other examples of lifters who use a thumbless jerk technique?

I tend to agree with the OP.

Lasha is truly an outlier, Albegov and Chigashev not bad. Salimi's snatch is ok. Turmanidze is always under-rated. But that's about it.
    Ronny Weller I believe

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Judas View Post
    Years and years ago, one ov my go-to 'technique' videos, was an early one ov Polovnikov snatching 170x2. Pretty sure he was an 85 lifter at the time. Utter command ov the bar, perfect timing. When he started to get really famous, and was well into the 105's, he just wasn't fun to watch anymore. Fucking brutally powerful, just a beast, which... is fun in different ways, but technically? Just a basher now. I've seen this happen a few times when GOOD lifters climb the classes.

I never saw Ilin lift at 85, but i'd imagine it was a lot crisper and technical than he is now. The guy defines beast... and he's fast and fearless... but technically, i dont like him. I wonder what he was like as an 85.

I haven't been watching too much lately, but i wonder how Tian Tao has weathered his rather massive and abrupt weight change.

As for the actual supers... they've never been my favorite class to watch. Women's sure... but only because ov Kashirina.
    I've been looking for that video for ages, I think I know what you're talking about. Do you have it?

Post Thanks / Like
    I’m sure that some of you would already have seen it, but I direct your attention to the results book for the 2019 Oceania and Commonwealth Champs.

In the men’s SHW there were four competitors who collectively completed two C&J between them in their entire session. Or in more damning language, the very best SHW men in their continental federation failed on ten lifts out of twelve attempts.

I love watching the SHW classes. But this result really underscores how fragile their performances can be when the conditions aren’t perfect (they would have struggled with the short warmup, hot climate, and consecutive attempts).

Would better technique have changed their results? Maybe. But it certainly wouldn’t have made things worse!
    Last edited by Cleddau; 07-20-2019 at 09:46 PM.

8. Likes Hawkpeter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by b_degennaro View Post
    In the same vein of this thread, I would also want to say that most "modern" Eastern European lifters (post 2000s) have poor technique and are not the model lifter that others should be striving to emulate. By poor technique I mean bad timing, rhythm, and sometimes even positions. I think most spend wayyyyyyyyy too much time at the top of the pull before transitioning under the barbell, hump the barbell too hard, or stay over the barbell too long. Let's not forget about forgotten technique of jerking the barbell correctly that North Korea seems to teach everyone the exact same, precise way. Western European and Asian lifters have more classical technique in line with the best from the '80s and '90s.
    The North Koreans have consistently excellent technique. Om Yun Chol, in particular, is one of my favorite lifters to watch.

Which W. European lifters do you like? Personally, I thought Steiner had good technique when he was a bit lighter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by celicaxx View Post
    I've been looking for that video for ages, I think I know what you're talking about. Do you have it?
    Here's Polovnikov with 180x2, which looks more fluid than his present technique:

Post Thanks / Like
    My observational theory is that the amassing of poorer jerk displays in the male SHW category is tied to the absolute limit of human capability, doping included.

Or in plainer words: no matter how strong a talented lifter could get - if steroid testing didn't exist - he'd be limited by the non-muscular tissue and bone anatomy/density.

I do believe we unconsciously observe this with the heaviest attempts already since the 1980s. From 250 onward, especially though with 260+ attempts, the shoulders and arms are under so much stress, the stark shaking, i.e. balancing, is exponentially limiting strength reserves.

A data point supporting this theory are the jerk records. It took 11 years to progress from Alexeyev's 256 to Taranenko's 266, the absolute highest value. That's 10kg. In the same time frame (1977-1988) the 75 class record increased by 20 kg! In fact, all of the limited class records had a proportionally much higher increase in the jerk results.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DylanJM View Post
    Why? I wasn’t pretty but he managed to lock it out pretty well considering.

Mogushkov’s technique isn’t that bad considering his size. He lifted pretty well in 2013/14 but has gone downhill since.

I'd call this a dirty clean, and its a rep only really possible because its only around 40kg over bodyweight. The only reason I mentioned it was that it drew quite a bit of attention when it was posted and its arguably the gold standard of what Erpel was talking about...... SHW with poor technique.

I agree though, on the whole, his technique was reasonable considering his size, in fact I think he snatched over 210 at one stage I think, so that particular rep may be unfair on Chingiz himself.
    Last edited by Hawkpeter; 07-20-2019 at 08:00 PM.