Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Converting Squat percentages from Clean for the inefficient lifter?

Post Thanks / Like

Converting Squat percentages from Clean for the inefficient lifter?

I've got a PDF or two of some programs that I would love to run at some point.
    Only problem is that all Squat numbers are based off the Clean, in a sort of typical Soviet sense.

For example..
    Back Squat: 3*6 @ 100% of Clean
    Front Squat: 2*5 @ 90% of Clean

I'm quite inefficient, so doing 100% of my Clean for triples would be too light for any sort of useful change.
    Does anyone know how I could adjust the Squat numbers to be based off my Squat maxes for both Front and Back Squats?

Post Thanks / Like
    The simplest thing to do would be to adjust the prescribed % intensity obviously. But I'd just decouple the squats completely from the classical lifts and try to match the stress points with your own relevant intensity.

Programs that lock your squat into your clean and snatch demonstrate very little complexity. You may want to also consider whether a program is deliberately conservative in advancing squatting in order to emphasize other parts of the competition output. (This shouldn't last very long)

So look through the program, find the peaks for intensity and tonnage, and try to match the desired stress accordingly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Does anyone know how I could adjust the Squat numbers to be based off my Squat maxes for both Front and Back Squats?
    Take your current BS, multiply by 0.8-0.85 and pretend your Clean is actually within proper ratio of your BS.

Going off 195.

Doing triples of 162 for 6 sets sounds about right as would be 5 doubles of 145.
    Last edited by Blairbob; 07-24-2019 at 04:23 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would not do anything different. If your clean is low compared to the ideal ratio to squat, then just adjust your squat and prioritise the clean. If you train at 60-70% on the squat, you will temporarily lose your top 5-10% squat ability. However, it will come back with some heavy training, and it is clearly doing you no good on the clean so you don't need it.

Exact ratios are for chemists.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Blairbob View Post
    Take your current BS, multiply by 0.8-0.85 and pretend your Clean is actually within proper ratio of your BS.

Going off 195.

Doing triples of 162 for 6 sets sounds about right as would be 5 doubles of 145.
    This will work nicely. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    CNL does have a point if you find your legs or back too tired to train your lifts. Those should be the priority right now unless you are not doing the lifts for some reason (busted wrist or shoulder, don't feel like it, etc)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I've got a PDF or two of some programs that I would love to run at some point.
    Only problem is that all Squat numbers are based off the Clean, in a sort of typical Soviet sense.

For example..
    Back Squat: 3*6 @ 100% of Clean
    Front Squat: 2*5 @ 90% of Clean

I'm quite inefficient, so doing 100% of my Clean for triples would be too light for any sort of useful change.
    If you’re inefficient, you need to move better, not stronger.