Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: LSUS 10-5-3 Program by Dr Kyle Pierce

Post Thanks / Like

LSUS 10-5-3 Program by Dr Kyle Pierce

This is a popular program, that I use a lot with my lifters as well (particularly beginner-intermediate level lifters). I know there are a few spreadsheets out there for it, but I wasn't satisfied with any of them, so I took on the (painstaking) task of making my own.

What this spreadsheet does for you
    • Gives you a recommended 10RM goal weight in your first week
    • Automatically calculates your drop down sets
    • Gives you a recommended weight for your rep max each week
    • shows you your PR for the rep maxes week to week
    • Shows you what % of your 1RM you're working at

Disclaimer: This spreadsheet is set up how I like to use LSUS, which has some variation from the traditional program, such as:
    • In the 10s, the original program says that your drop down sets need to be within 10% of your 10RM. I always just drop my lifters straight to 90%. That is what I recommend and that is how the spreadsheet calculates the drop down sets in this phase
    • The 5th exercise in the 10s gives an option for a number of pressing exercises, I like to stick with the military press unless a lifter has a definite need for something different. Feel free to change from MP, but but advised the %s and recommendations aren't going to autopopulate correctly
    • I tend to deviate from the power snatch/clean from the hip. I created a drop down menu on those exercises so you can select a different variation
    • I program bent rows as a % of bench press. It's difficult (and some what pointless) to max the row. The BP is about the closest thing to getting an accurate %
    • Pull-Ups are highly variable. Some people like to do weighted, some people can't. I've seen % calculated on total weight, some just on added weight. They're blank, so fill it in as you please.
    • In the 10s phase, day 5 calls for 18 reps at 70% I prefer to do this as a 6x3
    • We don't have a great way to do jerk recovery in our gym, so I never program them. Thus you won't see them in this version of LSUS
    • How much someone can muscle snatch is highly variable, thus I didn't make any recommendations on weights. FIlls this in as you go.
    • In the 3s phase, the program calls for working up to a heavy 5x1 on jerk drives on both Day 1 and 3. I usually have lifters go AHAP on the first workout, and then repeat that weight on the second workout (as opposed to trying to go even heavier). Thus the spreadsheet will automatically fill in day 3 with what you did on day 1
    • Although snatch and clean pulls call for a "rep max" I prefer to keep the % between 90-120% any heavier than that and it becomes a deadlift with a really slow extension at the top. I always do the hang pulls lighter to save the back

Other recommendations:

• During the day five workouts where you're supposed to go AHAP (aka max) don't update your 1RMs on the first page even if you hit a new PR.
    • Don't do all of your jerk drives with a 3 sec pause, I've seen this build too many bad habits
    • If this isn't your first time going through the LSUS program, don't try to set a 10RM PR on your first workout, save it for at least the 2nd
    • During the taper phase, do a few sets working up to your heaviest set

I'll likely add some more analytics later, but the spreadsheet should be fully operational. Let me know if you find any errors or things you don't like. I'm not super proficient with excel so there might be some mistakes.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by FFF; 09-19-2014 at 05:28 PM.
    Currently reading: The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins

Just Finished Reading: City of Thieves by David Benioff

Friend me on Facebook

Give us a shoutout on IG by using #WLForums and we'll follow you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Is this based on the paper?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CharisLouca View Post
    Is this based on the paper?
    lol yes

Friend me on Facebook

Post Thanks / Like
    It looks so good. Im tempted to try it out, but I dont know if Im ready for it lol , maybe after finishing Waxman's Jerk Progression or Initial Progression, because being honest, that's my worst lift :/
    Last edited by Cesar; 09-19-2014 at 03:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Also I think there is a mistake in the formula in Day Five starting from the 5's week 2 on the PR column. Its getting the values from the wrong cells.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cesar View Post
    Also I think there is a mistake in the formula in Day Five starting from the 5's week 2 on the PR column. Its getting the values from the wrong cells.
    Which exercises? With the exception of the first week of each phase, every subsequent PR column is filled with the week prior's rep max. For example in week 2 of the 10s, it shows you the 10RM from week 1, and so forth...

Friend me on Facebook

Post Thanks / Like
    Snatch and Clean and Jerk, It is giving me my squat and DL Pr instead of my snatch and c&j pr
    Last edited by Cesar; 09-19-2014 at 04:58 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    In Day Five

Post Thanks / Like
    Should be fixed. I think there was some time of progressive cell selection when I was copying and pasting.

Friend me on Facebook

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you have access to Pierce and Stone's Weightlifting Program Design paper? I have been trying to find a pdf copy of it, to no avail. The scribd link below requires paid access .

http://www.scribd.com/doc/129239167/...28-SCJ-10-2006
    Last edited by bushidosurvives; 09-24-2014 at 12:22 PM.
    ~Surgite atque resurgite dum agni leones fient~