Likes Likes:  6
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Retired buuuuut. Jerk only training? Suggestions appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is a good point. Jerk recoveries are gonna take too long. I’m better off pausing my jerks during my jerk sets for a little extra stability

Yes on complexes

Yes on startup time I’ll probably have to do my best to arrange the workout so I don’t have to change the bar and can just keep adding weight.
    Something like
    Jerk variations 60-70%
    Explosive jerk dips 80-90%
    Heavy jerk dips 90%+

I’ll have to think about it and how it fits into each phase

2. Likes Blairbob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Today was my first day. Holy crap am I out of shape. Got the whole thing done in 45 mins

2 PP + 2 PJk 65kg, 3 sets
    Jerk drives 100kg, 3 sets 5 reps
    10” Partial front squat 125kg, 3 sets 5 reps

Superset 1, 3 sets
    BTN cable pulls down 10 reps
    Pushups 15 reps
    Super set 2, 3 sets
    Ab rollout, 10 reps
    BW Split squat, 10 reps per leg

4. Likes Blairbob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    You say you cant do snatch or full squats... or, wont i suppose. I get it. My knee is being a right cunt, and while i CAN do full, i cant train it with enough volume to get anywhere, and certainly i cant train the full lifts with any volume. The violence just kills them. So i gave up on weightlifting for a long time. I just loved the technical mastery ov it. The speed, the timing, the violence. I hated having to powerlift, but i had to do something with a bar.

THEN...

I just said fuckit. Why not do power versions only? Everything is still there. No, i cant pretend to be Aukhadov or Milko, but i can become quite powerful, fast, remain flexible, better my timing, and have fun cranking big weights overhead.

It took me over half a decade to figure this out. But I CAN TRAIN AGAIN! So i've been training both lifts, full time, 5-7 days a week, for the last 3-4 months, and its been awesome. Already chasing National masters records, and the world records are not far off those. I'm one ov those lifters that needs a target, and this has been the most intense training cycle i've had since my last powerlifting comp, 3 years ago. I catch everything way high (nowhere near parallel), though i'll admit i'm lucky in that i dont have to squat, like ever, to have the strength to hit my (records) goals. At its very weakest, i still squat 227kg, front about 185. Come those world records? I'll have to bring some squatting back in maybe (maybe i'll wrap the knee?), but until then... man, i'm having wicked fun. I've already matched my best ever (full) clean and jerk PR with a high PC&J, and my powersnatch is only 10kg off my best ever snatch.

Try power versions?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Judas View Post
    You say you cant do snatch or full squats... or, wont i suppose. I get it. My knee is being a right cunt, and while i CAN do full, i cant train it with enough volume to get anywhere, and certainly i cant train the full lifts with any volume. The violence just kills them. So i gave up on weightlifting for a long time. I just loved the technical mastery ov it. The speed, the timing, the violence. I hated having to powerlift, but i had to do something with a bar.

THEN...

I just said fuckit. Why not do power versions only? Everything is still there. No, i cant pretend to be Aukhadov or Milko, but i can become quite powerful, fast, remain flexible, better my timing, and have fun cranking big weights overhead.

It took me over half a decade to figure this out. But I CAN TRAIN AGAIN! So i've been training both lifts, full time, 5-7 days a week, for the last 3-4 months, and its been awesome. Already chasing National masters records, and the world records are not far off those. I'm one ov those lifters that needs a target, and this has been the most intense training cycle i've had since my last powerlifting comp, 3 years ago. I catch everything way high (nowhere near parallel), though i'll admit i'm lucky in that i dont have to squat, like ever, to have the strength to hit my (records) goals. At its very weakest, i still squat 227kg, front about 185. Come those world records? I'll have to bring some squatting back in maybe (maybe i'll wrap the knee?), but until then... man, i'm having wicked fun. I've already matched my best ever (full) clean and jerk PR with a high PC&J, and my powersnatch is only 10kg off my best ever snatch.

Try power versions?
    Oh yes, it’s not that I “can’t”. It’s that I won’t.
    I don’t want to, honestly. I entered this sport and achieved exactly what I wanted to, then retired in 2017.

So now I’m just trying to have fun and lift within my time and mental energy constraints. So I chose jerk because It’s a fun parlor trick to put huge weights above your head. So yeah this is a little experiment in fun.

To me, without a real goal like I had in 2017, crushing myself with big squats is not particularly fun, nor is it quick. Cleans aren’t really fun unless you’re competing. Snatch was my original choice for this, but something about moving the heavier weight was appealing to me. So jerk was my weapon of choice.

Update, it’s now week 4, and I’m deloading. My workouts have been exactly 45-60 minutes just liked I’d hoped. The first three weeks got the rust off. I’m eating right again so that’s helping a ton. Hat tip to RP diet app.

I’m going to run another 4 week base strength cycle now that I’m starting to acclimate to the volume and weight. Then I’ll run a transitional phase for a month then maybe a comp phase for another month to see where I’m at.

I still haven’t put a lot overhead yet, but I can tell me shoulders and back are adjusting nicely and will be able to support the heavier weight. Form is coming back to me. Using a mirror for jerks is the best, by the way. Jerk dips are feeling good and The partial squats are great. I can do them quick and I’m adding weight and volume perfectly. I’m quite a bit lighter than I was when I was competing so that’s a factor, but we’ll see how much. If I can get a 145 jerk by end of this program, I’ll be pretty happy. If I were to guess right now, I’d probably be able to do 125 if I were to do it today.
    Last edited by scottyb_rochny; 08-19-2019 at 10:32 AM.

7. Likes Blairbob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    It must be weird to have a goal, hit it, and then actually retire satisfied. How many of us here will ever manage that in anything at all in our lives quite so specifically?

Post Thanks / Like
    It was weird. But I have small kids so that made my decision concrete. If it makes you feel any better I buckled under the pressure and missed some everyday weights, missing the silver medal and taking home a bronze. But to be fair I just wanted any medal so I’m not really complaining and I am satisfied. Just sucks sometimes to have that hanging over my head. Pressout nonetheless.

But it was a nice 5 year journey from age 30, never having tried WL at all, to accomplishing my big goal 5 years later. Learned a lot. #1 thing, get a coach you trust and do everything he says, block out other stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with finding a coach and doing what he says. The difficulty is actually finding a person you click with and understands you, rather than someone giving you their way or the highway.

Post Thanks / Like
    That’s true. I was very lucky to find Sergey Bondarenko. It was remote coaching but my god he put 35kg on my total in 18 months and was a very wonderful coach.

Post Thanks / Like
    It must be weird to have a goal, hit it, and then actually retire satisfied. How many of us here will ever manage that in anything at all in our lives quite so specifically?
    At first training was just fun and I didn't have any big aspirations besides never getting to compete in HS and Burg and Jasha telling me I was born to do it.

Then I got the bug to want to make US nationals or the AO because at the time they were still low but I figured they would be jumping up quite a bit, quite possibly out of reach for myself in 2014. Busted wrist and actually thought about other things but running sucked. I was a decent squatter in HS and CF and thought maybe it would jump even more and if I could hit the target ratios, my lifts would be decent. Off a 175Sq, would mean a 140CJ and maybe 115Sn? And I figured 200Sq might not be out of question and th55us 120/155. I also thought at the time, Peruvian WL might be extremely weak (bc Peru kinda sucks at sports in general). Turns out while they are behind most S American nations, their 69's still could do 125/160 or so. And were way younger.

Reality hit but I still wanted to garner a medal and lift at a big comp and figured Masters would be my ticket after helping out at 2015 US Masters Nationals. Improved marginally that year with a few hiccups. Kinda started showing some increase in total at beginning of 2016 but stalled so decided to try to survive LSUS again (unlike 2 weeks in 2014 that irritated my hip 3-4x before i quit). Tweaked back, 10 weeks off (prob only needed 8) and was back at it.

AO series was announced so figured sweet, might not ever make Nationals or AO but could get a big meet experience. Missed 2017 due to registering snafu and ended up having kidney stones the week of anyways.

Set sight on 2018 AO3, training was alright to meh and actually dropped to 73 instead of 81 but after a stupid hard weight cut came home with a medal, a big meet experience, Sean Waxman remembering my lifts on stage, and even a new Masters records (because of the weight class reset). OTOH, I actually left LV early bc I was bored and could hang out with friends on Sat am after a redeye in the wee hrs.

While not the recognition I had set out for, was still very satisfying. Still hadn't hit 100 or 120 or a 200BS but it's been a blast.

At this point of the road, I've had my glory and it was a good run to 100 and 120. I'm not sure they will happen without AAS and quite honestly, after I hit 8yrs of WL and I'm now into my 11th yr (with some small breaks besides gymnastics/CF focus 2008-2011) of focusing on getting strong since the 2008 CFGames, I'm ready to just maintain and coast until I'm old or dead.

I'm pretty damn sure, I don't want to train 4-5x a week anymore and twice sounds nice maybe three times after this cycle. I've pretty much given up on 100 and 120 though the thought of doing 95/115@73 or 200+@67 is somewhat appealing.

AO3 2020 will be in LV and the idea of training for another year sounds like bollocks rn. Recapturing another masters record and being on a podium kinda sounds cool but it's not like it will be a new experience by any means.

Did play with a 3x a week format but I think it will require 4-5days a week to push my total. 3x/week requires quite long sessions though I have wondered about just pulling back most classics work and focusing on strength and seeing how that might do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blairbob, how old are you?

14. Likes Blairbob liked this post