Likes Likes:  6
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Retired buuuuut. Jerk only training? Suggestions appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Retired buuuuut. Jerk only training? Suggestions appreciated.

Hey everyone. Haven’t been here in a a while. Long story short, lifted seriously (amateur of course) from age 30-35 ended up with best lifts of 125/160 at bw 112. Retired in 2017 after placing at Masters worlds.

Now I have two little kids (10 months and 3) but things are a little more stable. I need to get back in shape but I want to have fun doing it. I ttried lifting like a normal person but it’s boring. I tried grappling and loved it bc I was a wrestler, but the schedule with the little kids really does not allow it.

So I racked my brain and I think I can fit (2) 45-60 minute sessions per week in the morning. I was gonna try to see if I could PR snatch but honestly I’m just not in the mood to go through all the pain and commitment to get there. Especially the deep squatting. I love squats but I don’t have it in me to work up to a 190-200kg squat again. Also I’m down to 95 kg and I’d like to stay around this weight.

Anywho, with all this in mind, I thought it would be fun to see how much I could Jerk. This sounded like a fun goal bc I think I can fit it in my schedule, I don’t feel like gaining full snatch mobility again, it’s fun to put massive weight overhead and I think it will keep me entertained. Also since it’s just jerk I won’t be tempted to compete again or obsess about WL all day everyday again

So I’m gonna develop a JERK only program that fits in my 2x per week, 45-60 mins schedule. It’ll be somewhat periodized . Here is the general protocol, but any exercise ideas or input is appreciated

Exercise 1 (technical): jerk variation
    Exercise 2 (technical assistance): explosive jerk dips, PP etc
    Exercise 3/4 (strength): half/quarter squats front or back, good mornings, jerk recover
    Exercise 5/6: bodybuilding, shoulder stability, core

I’ll let you know how it goes. Any ideas or if I missed something that might help, let me know.

2. Likes Blairbob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That looks like a good plan. Do you have jerk boxes, or everything from the rack?

Post Thanks / Like
    Great question. I don’t have boxes unfortunately. All from rack. I’m just glad to have bumper plates and free time.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd probably do a lot of core, a lot of jumping, plenty of sub max technical work, one heavier jerk days a week, and lots of upper body bodybuilding. You can squat 5x5 or something once a week to keep some gains. Good to see you back!

Your plan looks pretty solid.
    Last edited by CNL; 07-29-2019 at 04:02 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks.
    Any idea what kind of BB exercises I should focus on? With my limited schedule and I gotta be super efficient in my exercise choices

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by scottyb_rochny View Post
    Great question. I don’t have boxes unfortunately. All from rack. I’m just glad to have bumper plates and free time.
    Ok, a nice way to do heavy rack jerks is to jerk from the front and drop it down to the back to put it in the racks. You do reps on the minute. So do 3-5 reps otm, for 3-5 sets.

For "bodybuilding" I would emphasize the shoulders. I think when the triceps are over-developed compared to the shoulders it leads to pressouts. Since it is only for your personal gratification, pressouts might not matter. The shoulder/tricep thing is just my running theory.

Post Thanks / Like
    When I don't have time to do much, I do DB curl and press. I cheat the curl with a slight swing but I generally do 10, 15, or 20 reps. I do both sides at the same time.

If I wanted to do unilateral work, I would just do the strict DB sn for reps I usually do. Some row and press action besides internal and external rotation.

Paired dips and pullups work too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Scott, the "Bar & Bar" is open most MWF and you know it's equipped with jerk boxes.

Post Thanks / Like
    60minutes isn't much time.

Figure 5-10min warmup. You are basically going to have finish a set, start loading the next set and maybe take a short rest once it gets heavy. No sitting down for light sets, sorta back to back with maybe a sip of water.

15-20min to Jerk. 5-10minutes to pushpress one day a week. 10minutes to (partial) squat, probably just ascending sets up. 5 minutes to do explosive jerk dips after FS on one day if you care to. 5-10minutes extra to do whatever.

As fun as jerk recoveries are, they like rack holds don't have a great return investment for the time they take. Jerk dips do imo, and if you do 5-10 jerk dips, it takes some time anyways. I'm sure you could throw them in IF you had some time.

I think one of those sessions, you could do a complex of PP+Jerk to get some PushPresses in and maybe put a bit more time into squats.

I know I've had some nights at the gym before closing where I've had 5-10minutes to squat for FS so I just do back to back triples into a double and a single with some big jumps. 70-100-120-135-140-145. The first 4 sets don't take very long and 135 will prob be a dub and 140 a dub or single where I might get 1min of rest.

I was actually dismayed that doing FS like this made my FS seem pretty weak but I did a short cycle of FS for a few weeks and ended up hitting 155 after never really getting past 140 after triples up to 130-135. So that strength was still there even if it didn't seem like it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Twb:

5:30 am-7am M,Th