Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Thailand applies to compete at 2019 World Championships

Post Thanks / Like

Thailand applies to compete at 2019 World Championships

Thailand caused a major surprise by declaring that it wants to compete in the International Weightlifting Federation (IWF) World Championships next month - despite its self-imposed exile for multiple doping offences.
    https://www.insidethegames.biz/artic...hwarted-by-iwf

2. Likes Blairbob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    fuck'em. they should be happy they didn't lose the Championships in themselves and can still profit from whatever athletes and teams coming in and paying for rooms at host hotels besides local eatery, flights and the tourism.

probably one of the only reasons they got to keep it is because how much of a logistical nightmare it would have been to find another country (besides Turkmenistan) that could get be good to go in a short timeframe.

And no, it would not have been great for the US to do it again. Visas are a nightmare right now for foreign athletes and Phil has said USAW actually loses money hosting IWF meets. Good for prestige, shitty for budget.
    Last edited by Blairbob; 08-23-2019 at 04:44 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Blairbob View Post
    Visas are a nightmare right now for foreign athletes and Phil has said USAW actually loses money hosting IWF meets. Good for prestige, shitty for budget.
    Correct, visas under Trump are tough.

Are you saying that meets are not profitable from a revenue/cost standpoint?

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you saying that meets are not profitable from a revenue/cost standpoint?
    I've never seen numbers but I thought I heard IWF competitions cost a fuckton and the IWF competition fee is a royal fuckton.

None of the national meets in USAW lose money (I think but some way) but their profits are a drop in the bucket compared to the membership dues and USAW courses that bring in the bulk of the USAW budget. I think it's been said the national meets may profit at the end of the day 5 digits but that might have been for the big ones like Reno and LV. Some of the smaller AO meets don't have nearly the numbers and USAW nationals is now one of the smallest meets. Youth nationals is huge but meet fees are less. Jr nationals and Universities are middle of the road.

There is some chance, after all is said and done that we might come out in the black on this particular event, because we did manage to control down a few of these costs. That will depend on ticket sales.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/weightlifti...nt_profitable/

Post Thanks / Like
    Am I missing something? The article you linked states that the IWF turned down the Thai appeal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nkanter View Post
    Am I missing something? The article you linked states that the IWF turned down the Thai appeal.
    Correct - the IWF has essentially given the Thai Federation two options:

(a) Stick to their written agreement to "self-suspend", which means hosting but to not compete

(b) Do not host.

Clearly, choice "B" would be a logistical nightmare for everyone involved, not to mention a financial nightmare.

8. Likes nkanter liked this post