Likes Likes:  50
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Thread: 2019 worlds thread

Post Thanks / Like
    The last really competitive Olympics - i.e. with full teams - was 1996. Since Sydney many world champions and record holders have been deliberately kept out.

In theory I'd even agree that numbers and records are less interesting than a tight competition. But by cutting people out they often destroy the sparring as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Did ask the Iranian kid I know. He did state that a lot of Iranian athletes, particularly the Wrestling team are Kurds and they are sort of looked down on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Blairbob View Post
    Did ask the Iranian kid I know. He did state that a lot of Iranian athletes, particularly the Wrestling team are Kurds and they are sort of looked down on.
    "looked down on" total nonsense.

Most Iranian wrestlers are from Mazandaran not Kermanshah, especially in freestyle I don't know of a single Kurdish Iranian wrestler (and there were none at the 2019 worlds a few weeks ago).

Most Iranian expats in the West are pretty clueless about Iran. Ask an Iranian Kurd and there is a 90%+ chance he will disagree that Kurds are "looked down on" in Iran.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not related to 2019 worlds but Moradi is back in serious training and looks good.

Sohrab needs to post a total by the end of this month or his chances of qualifying for 2020 are over. The last tournament he can compete is in the "Challenge 210" tournament (Oct 25-26th).

It seems that Moradi is part of the Iranian team that will be participating there, so that's great news! He needs to post a total to have a shot at qualifying though, so it's still shit or bust (and coming off an injury doesn't help) but at least he still a chance.

On the other hand, Rostami and Alihosseini are out and are not part of Iran's team to the Challenge 210 games. For Rostami I understand because he went to worlds but Alihosseini was not chosen for worlds or this tournament, so he must have had a serious falling out with the Iranian federation.
    Last edited by Rezazadeh; 10-13-2019 at 08:48 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    word is that alihosseini did not do well at a local competition

i was working on what would be the smallest total sohrab could afford and still edge out rostami for robi pts from Iran. i suppose i could crunch what he would need to place as #8 in the 96 class but he could still show up to Asian Champs next year, win and get that slot to Tokyo. I think that's how it works.

i suppose he could show up and power 40/40 though i think he would probably do something more like 90/110, or 100/120.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Blairbob View Post
    but he could still show up to Asian Champs next year, win and get that slot to Tokyo. I think that's how it works.
    Not quite. The continental qualification is still based on the robi total over the entire qualification period. After the top 8 worldwide, then it's the top ranked lifter from each continent from a NOC not already qualified. Moradi could show up to Asian champs next year and hit 3/3 WRs and still not go if his overall total isn't high enough because he's got a 0 (or otherwise shit robi total) from this qualifying period.

7. Likes Blairbob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I read that Tian Tao will be at the Challenge 210 games too.

Post Thanks / Like
    yeah, a handful of the chinese men are going to those. lu and li as well

Post Thanks / Like
    Anybody want to predict the number of ADRVs from the 2019 World Champs?

The public disclosures should start appearing in the next fortnight.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleddau View Post
    Anybody want to predict the number of ADRVs from the 2019 World Champs?

The public disclosures should start appearing in the next fortnight.
    Less than 10.

12. Likes Blairbob liked this post