Likes Likes:  45
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 worlds thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Catching up with OM's WR:

The commentators (non-British I assume) should know that a) you need to lift one kilo above the world standard to set the record, so Om needed 166.
    And b) there are eight men with a 3x body weight c&j. The number six seems to be from old articles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Echternacht View Post
    You can find the results on the IWF web site.
    I can't find the results for women's 55kg group D (which should have been earlier today)?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by erpel View Post
    Catching up with OM's WR:

The commentators (non-British I assume) should know that a) you need to lift one kilo above the world standard to set the record, so Om needed 166.
    And b) there are eight men with a 3x body weight c&j. The number six seems to be from old articles.
    Did some counting:

Om has CJ'd triple bodyweight 7 times in his career to my knowledge.

Naim 10 times although I cannot find evidence of 172 and 173 at 56, so I think the number is closer to 8.

Terziyski 1 time.

Long 1 time in international competition, 2 if you include Chinese National Games 2009.

Genchev 1 time (then promptly banned).

Topurov 1 time.

Mutlu 1 time.

Who is the eighth? Ivanov was close with 155.5 at 52.

Post Thanks / Like
    Stefan Topurov 1983
    Naim Suleymanoglu 1984
    Neno Terziski 1987
    Angel Genchev 1988
    Lan Shizhang 1997
    Halil Mutlu 2000
    Long Qingquan 2009
    Om Yunchol 2012

I'd also stress this list to not be definitive, as the likes of Grablev may have done 167.5 at ~55.80 to win a lesser 80s comp when this number was already below the WR (so it wouldn't have received attention).

Post Thanks / Like
    I think they meant 165 was triple bodyweight and that was significant enough to do, not the world record weight, and the number 6 was the amount of times Chol has previously done 3x BW. Just what I remember, as I am normally very critical of this kind of incorrect maths statement. But, its done now, not to worry.

Its Sean Waxman and two other guys, all who seem to have a decent interest and understanding of the sport, not some bros off the street. The same guys who have been commentating the last few Worlds. They have been the best commentary team since Goldstrom/Morgan who finished their run somewhere before the London Olympics, so I cut them some slack.

Let me mention here that the coverage at this Worlds has been exceptional so far. All sessions recorded, with some available on Youtube, some watchable live on FB, and the A sessions streamed for free on Olympicchannel.com, even in the UK which typically blocks everything at the drop of a hat. I am thoroughly enjoying this worlds.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ah! That's right, Lu Yong's uncle was one of those lifters. It is definitely a short list, but in my opinion these triple bodyweight jerks are some of the most impressive lifts ever.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is a classic world championships, as in: there's no audience.

The start book was updated today, the two Ukrainian totals discussed above have been lowered, Dekha is now at 246.

8. Likes psstein liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by erpel View Post
    This is a classic world championships, as in: there's no audience.
    yes typical;

also it doesn't exactly help if the local populous has no team there competing to cheer on

:sad face:

Post Thanks / Like
    Thailand has the best fans.

Post Thanks / Like
    These last few months I've been thinking that maybe we need to do a welfare check on Thailand's weightlifting fans. They've been doing it tough lately. There's that one dude who usually gets dressed up, I hope he's..... well I was going to say hanging in there but..... yeah.

BTW that 61kg A session was a blood-bath. 1 successful 3rd attempt jerk.