Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Early arm bend?

Post Thanks / Like

Early arm bend?

Does anybody have any insight as to why I only have an early arm bend when I do power cleans but not full cleans? It's always been like that so I quit doing powers but I can't figure out why it is the case?

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe different mental cues? With squat clean you might be focused on technique, and power clean you are trying to get the highest pull which is subconsciously bringing the arms into action? I haven't heard of this before to be honest.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pufatr01 View Post
    Does anybody have any insight as to why I only have an early arm bend when I do power cleans but not full cleans? It's always been like that so I quit doing powers but I can't figure out why it is the case?
    In the power clean, you need to use the arms to pull the bar to a height needed to power clean the weight. You're simply engaging them earlier in the pull. You do not with full cleans because you do not need to use your arms, at least not in the same manner, to successfully complete the lifts.

Out of curiosity, do you have an early arm bend with lighter full cleans?

4. Likes jockomoron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wittmer View Post
    In the power clean, you need to use the arms to pull the bar to a height needed to power clean the weight. You're simply engaging them earlier in the pull. You do not with full cleans because you do not need to use your arms, at least not in the same manner, to successfully complete the lifts.

Out of curiosity, do you have an early arm bend with lighter full cleans?
    Ok yeah that makes a lot of sense. I think I definitely depend more on pulling with my arms because I also don't meet the bar as well on powers. As to your question, I'm not really sure but I do not think so or at least it doesn't feel like I do. I just noticed the difference on heavy powers vs heavy full cleans via video.