Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Massage after training

Post Thanks / Like

Massage after training

I've recently seen online that one should get a massage after lifting weights. Apparently, studies have shown that not only does it help speed up recovery, but it also leads to stronger muscles. Also, I have recently been told that studies have shown that one should not stretch or do anything after training to help with recovery, as the body should stay in its current excited state for as long as possible. Rather, stretching, foam rolling, etc., should be done on non-training days/recovery days. To me these sounds like competing ideas. How can they both be backed up by science? Does anyone have any knowledge about this?

Post Thanks / Like
    The theory about avoiding recovery methods only applies during short term heavy loading, but it is for advanced lifters. Generally it is best to do what you can for recovery when it is convenient.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with the former wholeheartedly, have never heard the latter about staying tight and trained and tired as long as possible, it doesn't make much sense to me. As soon as you finish training, you start the recovery process.

4. Likes Blairbob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CNL View Post
    I agree with the former wholeheartedly, have never heard the latter about staying tight and trained and tired as long as possible, it doesn't make much sense to me. As soon as you finish training, you start the recovery process.
    Is it possible to get similar benefits from foam rolling after training, or must it be a standard massage?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jackie View Post
    Is it possible to get similar benefits from foam rolling after training, or must it be a standard massage?
    Hands on massage has a number of additional benefits, foam rolling is not nearly as effective. Better than nothing I suppose!

7. Likes Blairbob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Massage leading to stronger muscles? I dunno about that. I suppose it helps blood flow and recovery but I would doubt massage leads to stronger tissue development.

I think of foam rolling as a cheap massage. It's slightly better than a shitty massage that is ineffectual. It's not very precise, it's like painting with a sprayer instead of a brush.

Post Thanks / Like
    I really doubt that massage per se makes your muscles stronger, but it could potentially increase your work capacity for training (which could make you stronger).

10. Likes Blairbob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think it makes you stronger, for sure.
    It keeps your body in better condition allowing for hgiher quality and quantity training.

12. Likes Blairbob liked this post