Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: New article about the Bulgarian Lunge (aka, the Squat Killer)

Post Thanks / Like

New article about the Bulgarian Lunge (aka, the Squat Killer)

I put together this new article about the history of the Bulgarian lunge/split squat, which has become the "go-to" leg exercise over squats among many functional trainers. It has several great photos from Bruce Klemens of past lifting champions.

https://simplifaster.com/articles/bu...e-split-squat/

Thanks,

Kim Goss, MS, CSCS
    President, Team BFS

2. Likes Blairbob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good article. One critique I have is that I have always heard it referred to as "Bulgarian split squat". I've never heard anyone call it a lunge.

Oh, and you need to be ready to edit the part about Taranenko's 266 still standing!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Erdman View Post
    Good article. One critique I have is that I have always heard it referred to as "Bulgarian split squat". I've never heard anyone call it a lunge.

Oh, and you need to be ready to edit the part about Taranenko's 266 still standing!
    Thanks for reading the article. In the late 80s, many of us were calling it the Bulgarian lunge, so I used that for the title. But in the second paragraph, I said it's actually a split squat. It's like in those early days a hip thrust was an exercise performed on an incline sled, but now people are calling pelvic bridges the hip thrust; and preacher curls were changed to Scott curls after Larry Scott flexed his biceps on the Olympia stage. In fact, I attended former US World Weightlifting Team Coach Carl Miller's weightlifting camp in 1977. He tried to introduce lifting to the general population by referring to the snatch as the single lift and the clean and jerk the double lift -- never caught on.

5. Likes Blairbob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice article. I remember the one with Spassov.

I currently have one athlete (well, I only have one athlete anymore anyways) who does one day of BS, another of 1/4 squats, and throws in stepups on one day. Eventually the 1/4 squats will be replaced with barbell jumps. Said trainee is a non barbell athlete and I'm trying not to obliterate them from the body split training they were doing before. We're basically doing a scaled down version of LSUS though I may look at some of the program that Bill Sands did that laid the groundwork for LSUS. Also, said athlete and myself know Bill from his gymnastics days where he lectured at Congress and athlete has a masters in biomechanics besides being an ex gymnast. They don't need to peak until sometime in 2021 or 2022.

They are still doing hack squats and leg presses which I'm trying to slowly wean them off. I intend to when they do 3's. I see it as extra accessory work but may be unnecessary and add too much into the total volume as he is dealing with a nagging calf that seems to hate both exercises after squats in training.

Using the 1/4 squats instead of jerk dips because they don't do any jerks and to lift some heavier loads as their sport focuses on jumping with very little upper body effort. I suppose they could probably do Power jerks but they train in a globo gym that is without bumpers and had an injury with cleans many moons ago so that wrist is a pain in the ass from time to time.

They also do some direct ham work such as GHD raises/nordic curls, rdls, and single leg back extensions or regular back extensions as their athletic action involves jumping.