Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Consuming protein from plant-based sources?

Post Thanks / Like

Consuming protein from plant-based sources?

I've been tracking my nutrition for quite some time (cals, protein, fats, carbs, and some micronutrients). I've always thought (both from watching professional/elite strength athletes eat and reading) that one should consume their protein from meat sources (typically beef and fish, sometimes chicken, turkey, pork, etc.), not just for the protein but also for the other nutrients found in the meat. However, I currently started watching "The Game Changers" on Netflix. It's an interesting documentary about elite athletes who are solely plant-based, including their protein intake. Of course it's pro plant-based eating, but something that stood out to me was apparently there are scientific studies showing that consuming protein from plant-based sources increasing blood flow to your muscles, and hence improves performance. Up until this point it was purely entertaining, but then it became much more intriguing. Does getting your protein from plant-based foods improve your performance (I'm talking strength/explosive athletes, not endurance)? Does anyone know more about this?

Post Thanks / Like
    I think it is reasonable to believe that different people respond differently to nutrition from different sources.

Therefore the only sensible course of action is to try eating protein from different sources and see what works best for you.

Post Thanks / Like
    No, it's pretty much a bunch of bullshit.

There are some really good things about more plants in your diet. More fiber. Lots of fiber can raise SHBG which inhibit Testosterone levels to some degree. I wrote about this in a post on this forum awhile back where vegetarians have higher total testosterone but like to leave out they also have higher SHBG which means their free testosterone is less. The body is probably up regulating testosterone release to offset the high SHBG.

So I haven't watched the documentary. But I was very curious about who was involved. Particularly who is paying for it. Because I'm a cynical pessimist at times.

So Danone seems to be the money behind it. As well, one of the athletes helped create "Vega" which is a pretty popular plant protein. I've had a sample, it's thick and heck it's not that cheap either.

Kendrick was not a vegetarian for life as he didn't change until late 2014. Kendrick moved up to 94 after London with a stellar performance garnering him a medal at 2013 Universaides. He missed 207 at 2015 PAC but I can't remember if he was trying that splot jerk shit or it just wasn't there. He performed poorly in the CJ at 2015 Worlds. He did manage to perform well at 2016 Olympic Trials/Nationals with a 209 CJ to beat Norik after missing 204. Before that he was kind of shitting the bed in the US with that splot jerk shit though he was slowly increasing his snatch.

So it's hard to say whether KF improved on veganism. His Snatch certainly did but it was always behind his CJ for the early to mid part of his career. His CJ definitely diminished from 2013 which could have been due to age, that splot jerk fuckery, and the fact that he only pushed it heavy on the CJ when he felt he needed to. His Rio performance was poor only hitting his openers. I've heard it been said, he might have been sick or injured his shoulder as he cruised at PanAms but pushed hard at Trials/Nats.

So here is what I'm copy and pasting from something I wrote together in a private FB group:

So a buddy messaged me out of the blue about "Game Changers," the Vegan/plant based movie that has been making the rounds on FN ads and Netflix.

I knew Arnold and Jackie Chan were involved besides James Cameron. And a bunch of others.

It seems like the money behind it is from Danone. They bought out WhitewaveFoods which was out of Denver and Boulder. They distribute everything in that picture in the US. They are from France and cofounded a plant based lobby in Canada.

They own Stok coffee, Silk, SoDelicious, Horizon Organic, InternationalDelight and LandoLakes.

After Whitewaves sale was finish in 2017 is when it seemed Danone had finalized the sale within the US.

Yep, they are Dannon. And Evian. 44 billion in total assets. 24 billion in sales and 2+billion in profit.

Activia and Oikos...thats them too. They are in Russia, China, the Uk, Indonesia, India,Canada, Mexico, Brasil, and even Iran.

In the first half of 2018,[6] 29% of sales came from specialized nutrition, 19% came from waters, and 52% came from dairy and plant-based products.[7]

Plant based sales were 1.7bil in 2018 and which they hoped to triple by 2025.

Im sure some of you have heard of Vega. They make protein powder. Brendan Brazier created it as he was a plant powered/vegan swimmer and athlete whose father was a heart Dr that was pro vegetarian. He's written a few different vegan books and was in "ForksOverKnives".

James Cameron. Never knew he was vegan. Apparently he has co founded some company with Peter Jackson in NZ to produce plant powered products there.

Also some fun facts. I knew he was married and divorced to Linda Hamilton. I didnt know why. He cheated on her with an actress from Titanic which is why he had to pay her $50mil in the divorce. I think that was divorce #4 though he has been married to his current wife since 2000.

To top it off, Pam Anderson is involved and if you don't remember, shes a Peta member.

And Rip Esselstyn, another plantpowered writer and athlete.

So basically, as I suspected, its a big shill for plantpowered products.

If you check out the FAQ, they omit pointing out that large herbivores unlike humans are ruminants. Totally glossed over.

Post Thanks / Like
    Something the vegetarians and vegans don't like to touch over are:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...and-depression

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3466124/

https://www.thehealthy.com/mental-he...mental-health/

https://healthyeatingharbor.com/vege...ental-disorder

Some of it may simply be due to the fact that vegetarians and vegans may just be more sensitive, especially to the plight of raising animals in poor conditions and of course, having to kill and eat them so they can survive.

Post Thanks / Like
    As for Herschel Walker, he's made a lot of stupendous claims over the years. That he did not meat though his teammates said he did. That he only ate once a day, salad and soup. etc

Walker also has admitted he has MPD/DPD. So basically the veracity of any of his claims are paltry at best.

Post Thanks / Like
    I totally see what you are saying. It's an interesting documentary and I suggest that you watch it, for entertainment purposes.

On a side, related note, is Ilya still vegetarian/vegan?

Post Thanks / Like
    As for some other elite athletes, particularly bodybuilders and patrick baboumian and likely clarence kennedy...steroids.

Numerous TnF athletes are on the juicy juice.

Case in point, Ilya supposedly went Vegan in late 2013 before his incredulous 2014 and 2015 performances before being caught positive in the past.

Clarence hasn't explicitly said he is on AAS but has gone on record to disagree about anti-doping in particular. So it's presumable, that he's on.

As of late, his recent totals are lower than what he did in 2005 as a Jr at 85. Sure, he may have hurt his back in the process but perhaps a non drugged out Ilya doesn't seem to capable of doing 180 220.

To his defense, he did not caught IC for 2014 or 2015 though it's rumored he was given a pass in 2014 or maybe never weighed in as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's an interesting documentary and I suggest that you watch it, for entertainment purposes.
    Arrow, Flash, and Supernatural are back on so...

I haven't heard if Ilya is still vegetarian/vegan or seen him post any food pics or talk about it.

which reminds me, the percentage of vegetarians or vegans who relapse from time to time is high. https://www.zmescience.com/ecology/e...diet-12122014/

https://faunalytics.org/wp-content/u...ull-Report.pdf

While the only motivation cited by a majority of former vegetarians/vegans (58%) was
    health, a number of motivations were identified by a majority of current vegetarians/vegans: health (69%), animal protection (68%), concern
    for the environment (59%), feelings of disgust about meat/animal products (63%), and taste preferences (52%).
    I have a friend who has been vegetarian for years and switched to veganism a few years back but she did say from time to time, she would eat eggs or dairy. Probably her body lacking nutrients. She wasn't underweight in the past but has been the last few years besides not having great eating habits. I don't think she's anorexic or bulemic, but often just doesn't take the time to cook for herself or is mindful about eating. She's never really been an athlete as her interest in fitness pretty much peaks with a bit yoga and jogging/hikes besides some curiosity with the martial arts.

I played with vegetarianism for a solid month back in 2001ish out of curiousity and while I think I could do it better with veggie protein and some supplementation, it was a pretty shit month when I was coaching and training. I didn't cut out dairy but didn't drink milk heavily or any protein powder. Basically lots of cheese enchiladas and marinara pasta, etc. At the time I usually lifted about 3 days at the gym besides gymnastics M-F and some running at school on the XC course. I tried to eat so I wasn't hungry but I remember having issues with energy and training. I broke the diet by eating a 1/4 or 1/2 pound of turkey and pastrami each.

My martial art instructors in Karate in HS were macrobiotic vegetarians so I can remember at some point cutting out red meat and pork and only eating chicken here and there. I still ate things like milk and eggos but I was trying.

Shortly after I switched to Track N Field because a buddy asked me to join the team with him (and then the fucker quit and joined tennis), I was eating beef and pork and chicken and all the meat I wanted within a week if not the first week or few practice days. Too hungry.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was just looking at macro breakdowns on plant-based protein sources (black beans, protein powder, buckwheat, etc.), and the amount you have to eat in order to hit appropriate levels of protein (1g/lb) is much higher in calories than I was thinking. I would need to eat a lot more calories in order to consume equal amounts of protein as I currently do. I'm curious how people don't gain weight just to maintain adequate protein intake levels, cause I just don't see how someone weighing 175 lb can get 175 g of protein + enough fats from plant-based foods and not eat too many calories to maintain weight.

I'm a huge fan of carbs and veggies, and already eat a ton of them, so I figured that I might give it a try for a week or two to see how my body responds. But, damn, I don't see how I could get enough protein (1g/lb) without adding way too many carbs.

Post Thanks / Like
    The odd thing about veg/vegan is the idea about it being natural and environmentally responsible. Most products are highly processed, and shipped from all around the world. It typically isn't hard to find local grass fed beef or free range chicken/eggs. I realize there are marketing tricks at play, but with a little effort it isn't hard to figure out.

From a performance standpoint I don't see vegans dominating the field. Sure some can keep up, but that certainly doesn't mean it is superior or advantageous.

If you use whey protein, it wouldn't hurt to rotate with plant-based powders.