Likes Likes:  8
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Consuming protein from plant-based sources?

Post Thanks / Like
    I finally got around to watching this as a lot of my clients were asking me about it. First of all the documentary is EXTREMELY well done, and if you were a lay person watching and didn't have a deep understanding of nutritional science, this film would be VERY persuasive. In the end though, it either misrepresents the science or just flat out lies about things. Both of which wouldn't be necessary to do if there were actual hard data that meat is bad for you.

If you're interested in a thorough "debunking" of the film I recommend Layne Norton's response to it which you can watch here:

Layne has his PhD in nutritional science, has competed in Bodybuilding and Powerlifting, and he's also typically a pretty neutral figure when it comes to nutrition.

It's also worth watching James Wilks debate Chris Kresser on the Joe Rogan podcast. Kresser has no business debating nutrition, but it shows you what an effective debater Wilks is. That can be seen here:

My favorite part of the argument is when James admits that if you took someone on the SAD and simply removed meat, they would be worse off than they would be with the inclusion of meat. This is all the proof you need that the whole vegan stance on nutrition is bullshit. If you have someone that eats a diet of pizza, beer, and candy bars, and you remove the candy bars, they would be better off, not worse off.

Layne also does an excellent response to the debate:

Layne personally calls two of the researchers that James references during the debate, and according to Layne, both say that James misrepresented their data.

The whole thing is some what timely considering the last nutrition related book I read was The Hungry Brain by Stephan Guyanet, who is a neuro-science PhD. According to Dr. Guyanet, the overwhelming majority of anthropologists suggest that roughly 40-60% of hunter gatherer cultures diet was comprised of animal products, and this would include the few modern day H-G cultures that still exist today. This is relevant because humans existed as hunter gatherers for thousands or possibly millions of years compared to the relatively short time we've been eating the way we do now. People are always quick to point out that life span averages were lower than, but I find this to be intellectually disingenuous because we all know why those numbers are lower, and it has more to do with soap, than anything else.

2. Likes Blairbob, Matt Erdman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pizza and beer diet. I think you are onto something.

4. Likes Cinnadom liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Blairbob View Post
    Pizza and beer diet. I think you are onto something.
    Worked well for Norb Schemansky.

6. Likes Bulldog73, Blairbob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice write up. The sad fact is people want to keep looking for some new nutritional trick rather than admit they just aren't disciplined enough in the basics.

8. Likes Bulldog73, Gary Echternacht liked this post