Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: 210 Challenge Games (Switzerland) - October 2019

Post Thanks / Like

210 Challenge Games (Switzerland) - October 2019

Bronze qualifying event.

The schedule and list of entrants:

http://www.swiss-weightlifting.ch/se...20schedule.pdf

The events are all today and tomorrow.

Moradi, Rostami and Tao are all competing tomorrow at 8.30pm (local Swiss time) - the real 2019 world championship for 96kg! Moradi and Rostami need a total to save their 2020 qualification dreams.

China has sent a full strength team too.

Post Thanks / Like
    WH have a cool podcast interview with Kianoush Rostami up from today if anyone's interested:

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcas...=1000454868061

Rostami said he has been told he can lift at this event, but it's not confirmed that the IWF will recognise his results as valid for qualification purposes.

According to Rostami, the Iranian federation sent his application for this event 2-3 days late which is why he wasn't on the entry list.

Interestingly, he said that he did 190kg/230kg in training recently and the 190kg snatch was "very easy" (I'll put this down to his English not being perfect lol). He said his body is still not fully adapted to 96kg so he expects to exceed these numbers in time for 2020.

He also mentioned that he has never failed a doping test and he is always ready so he is very sad about these events (apparently hasn't been able to sleep properly for 20 days) and that if he can't compete in 2020 he will retire from weightlifting.
    Last edited by Rezazadeh; 10-25-2019 at 01:11 PM.

3. Likes Blairbob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Moradi still injured, Rostami might be in good shape but mentally all over the place.

The thing with Rostami is, there are Internet WL nerds who have never competed in their life who know the Olympic qualification process to the last detail and would never be late sending off a form for a competition. What is his excuse, as a top professional and defending Olympic champion? He is onje of my favourite lifters but that is some dumb, dumb stuff. He can blame the fed all he wants but he could take a bit more responsibility.

In that podcast, the rules are explained very clearly even. Also the excuse of 'I did not know I had to total and went for records and bombed' is nonsense.
    Last edited by CNL; 10-26-2019 at 04:53 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CNL View Post
    He is one of my favourite lifters but that is some dumb, dumb stuff.
    Don't have to be smart to lift big weights.

Post Thanks / Like
    Moradi snatched 80kg with his first attempt and declined his subsequent attempts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rostami went x165/165/x177 in the snatch. Pretty disappointing, and looks like the right elbow is still giving him problems.

Tao went 130/140/150 in the snatch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rostami did 190, got 'red lighted' on his 2nd attempt with no weight on the board, then did something of a deadlift with 232 for the world record. Not sure what is going on in his head.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rostami did 165/190 so I think he technically won gold but he wasn't awarded with a medal because the IWF didn't recognise his results. Looks like it's over for Rostami re: 2020.

But he clearly wouldn't be able to compete against an even half fit Moradi anyway, so as long as Moradi makes 2020 this doesn't really change anything.

Moradi looked comfortable considering he had shoulder surgery barely a month ago. Wise choice of weights to minimise strain on the shoulder.

Post Thanks / Like
    i thought his 232 was more of a missed clean/clean pull than a DL. definitely too heavy for him to get under and spat out backwards.