Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Programming squats

Post Thanks / Like

Programming squats

For the past several macrocycles (dating back over a year ago), I've been following a linear progression model for my squats (pretty sure it's just the Texas method). On Mondays I squat high intensity (3 triples at a very high intensity for me), Wednesday I squat moderate intensity (3 triples at 10 kg less than the weights for Monday), and Friday I squat moderate intensity but high volume (5 sets of 5 using the same weights as Wednesday). Each week I will add 1-2 kg to every session. So far I have been able to increase the weight every week. But, I am starting to get very tired of doing squats like this, as they are now reaching the point where the "high intensity" day and the "volume" are pretty brutal and the "light" day is nothing close to light. I was fine with this because I have been focusing on getting my squat up (I squat a very low percentage compared to my lifts -- snatch 85, clean + jerk 105, and pr back squat is 124). But now, I'd like to shift focus, if only to get a break from the squatting routine, and put the lifts as the driving force for my squatting strength. By that I mean, I remember a poster talking about basing his squats off of his clean + jerk and as it went up so did the weight that he was squatting (I think it was Brian DeGennaro).

Does anyone have experience with programming their squats in this way?

I have been squatting three times a week (training 4 times per week), with 43-45 working reps (plus around 30 warmup reps). Would I need to decrease/increase the volume?

I'm pretty sure that I can get a lot from Roman's book (ARIs, volume, etc.), but I'm also pretty sure that he's got someone in mind whose squat is much higher percentage compared to their lifts than me. Would this change things if I wanted to use Roman as a starting point?

Post Thanks / Like
    sounds like a flipped TM but your Wed should be 80% of Mon so it's too high. You Sn and CJ are only a few percentage points off the preferred ratios of Sn 60-65% of BS and CJ 80% of BS give or take -2 to +3%

I'm just gonna pretend your triple BS is 110-115 or give or take a few kg. That means your Wed is probably 100-105 which is too high for a recovery day. It should be nothing more than 100 and that's why Glenn's modified TM used FS which would probably be around 85% of BS give or take besides less stress on the lower back and PC.

Degennaro works under the Ukrainian/Soviet system were you squat based off your lifts which for you probably wouldn't be much different I think. If you go through his posts thru the search function, you should find the parameters about it in a post. Torokthiy's squat programs might be similar

And looking at your reps, it does sound like a lot of volume.

Looking at some of the more reasonable squat workouts I did this year, I see between 25-50 total reps and definitely not 75 total. Reps of % worth counting is probably 20-35 per session, twice a week.

Post Thanks / Like
    You have the Texas method backwards. The volume day should be on the Monday and the intensity day on the Friday. The light day on the Wednesday should come after volume day as you are recovering. The intensity day on Friday should be hard but there should be relatively few total reps in order to not completely fuck you up for the next volume day. With 124kg squat there's no reason why you can't continue using the Texas method. If you're not progressing you need more calories or a deload. Personally I think every 4th week should be a deload anyway (still squatting 3 times a week just with 40% less total reps).
    Last edited by DylanJM; 11-02-2019 at 04:54 AM.

4. Likes Blairbob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey jackie, empty your messages, I'm trying to send you something.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Blairbob View Post
    sounds like a flipped TM but your Wed should be 80% of Mon so it's too high. You Sn and CJ are only a few percentage points off the preferred ratios of Sn 60-65% of BS and CJ 80% of BS give or take -2 to +3%

I'm just gonna pretend your triple BS is 110-115 or give or take a few kg. That means your Wed is probably 100-105 which is too high for a recovery day. It should be nothing more than 100 and that's why Glenn's modified TM used FS which would probably be around 85% of BS give or take besides less stress on the lower back and PC.

Degennaro works under the Ukrainian/Soviet system were you squat based off your lifts which for you probably wouldn't be much different I think. If you go through his posts thru the search function, you should find the parameters about it in a post. Torokthiy's squat programs might be similar

And looking at your reps, it does sound like a lot of volume.

Looking at some of the more reasonable squat workouts I did this year, I see between 25-50 total reps and definitely not 75 total. Reps of % worth counting is probably 20-35 per session, twice a week.
    Sorry, those numbers for the volume are the totals for the week. For example, this past week was: 60(3), 85(3), 105(3), 115(3)x3 on Monday; 60(3), 85(3), 105(3)x3 on Wednesday; 60(3), 85(3), 105(5)x5 on Friday.

I will look back to find his posts and Torokthiy's programming.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DylanJM View Post
    You have the Texas method backwards. The volume day should be on the Monday and the intensity day on the Friday. The light day on the Wednesday should come after volume day as you are recovering. The intensity day on Friday should be hard but there should be relatively few total reps in order to not completely fuck you up for the next volume day. With 124kg squat there's no reason why you can't continue using the Texas method. If you're not progressing you need more calories or a deload. Personally I think every 4th week should be a deload anyway (still squatting 3 times a week just with 40% less total reps).
    I'm still progressing, but it's getting to the point that I need a break from it. I'm not sure the order matter all that much for me (the scheme that I've settled on is the most practical for my training plan).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CNL View Post
    Hey jackie, empty your messages, I'm trying to send you something.
    It appears that there are very few messages...but they are gone now, so hopefully it will work. Thank you in advance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jackie View Post
    I'm still progressing, but it's getting to the point that I need a break from it. I'm not sure the order matter all that much for me (the scheme that I've settled on is the most practical for my training plan).
    The order does matter. You are meant to have the light day after the volume day.

https://www.otpbooks.com/glenn-pendl...-texas-method/

10. Likes Blairbob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The intensity day is supposed to be ONE set of heavy 5,3,2, whatever. One set. You work up to it and you're done. the wednesday if it's gonna be a recovery day, should be lighter. Doing FS would help and I'm guessing your FS is prob 105-115 so tripling 90% of it would make it easy.

a backoff week would probably do you some good. Simple solution, no across sets, work up to 80%.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jackie View Post
    It appears that there are very few messages...but they are gone now, so hopefully it will work. Thank you in advance.
    Still says full I am afraid.