Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Uesaka Barbell Issue

Post Thanks / Like

Uesaka Barbell Issue

Hey all! I bought a Uesaka training barbell a couple years ago and have been really happy with it overall. However last Friday I started to clean and something felt off, just a really jerky feeling during the turnover. Anyway I discovered that one of the sleeves has somehow become stuck! It will turn about a quarter of an inch both ways before it locks up completely. No amount of pressure or weight on the bar will allow it to spin. The only thing that may have caused this is while changing weights working from blocks the day before, the unloaded side rolled off and bounced on the concrete floor...about 12in.

I've been trying to find some maintanance guides or tutorials but have come up with nothing so far! No videos on YouTube or even on the Uesaka website. Just wondering if anyone has any experience here with these barbells. I've also tried taking the sleeve off to clean inside but cant figure out how to pop the end cap off. There are two small holes on either side hit I cant seem to figure out how it works.

Any info or advice would be appreciated! Its and expensive bar and I'd hate for it to he ruined.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would advise contacting Joe Hamblin with Uesaka and asking him about it. I have a Uesaka training barbell also. I've never seen anywhere about taking the sleeve off or doing any maintenance to the sleeve. I know they use a dry bearing system, but that's all I know about how their barbells work.

Post Thanks / Like
    yeah get with Joe. he's helpful

@uesaka.joe on instagram

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, yeah I reached out to Uesaka USA last week and they did finally give me a response. Basically, they recommended some lubricant spray inside the sleeve. However if the metal bushing is damaged, then I'm pretty much SOL because the sleeves don't come apart.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by P_K View Post
    Thanks, yeah I reached out to Uesaka USA last week and they did finally give me a response. Basically, they recommended some lubricant spray inside the sleeve. However if the metal bushing is damaged, then I'm pretty much SOL because the sleeves don't come apart.
    So they won't replace it? That doesn't sound like the Uesaka that I've heard so much about over the years. I'm seriously considering an Uesaka as my first "real" training barbell, but not if they're telling you that you're SOL. If the sleeve doesn't come off, then they need to send you a new bar, and have you send in the old bar. If the sleeve doesn't come off, then clearly you didn't damage it and it's a manufacturing error.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KrisG View Post
    If the sleeve doesn't come off, then clearly you didn't damage it and it's a manufacturing error.
    I'm not defending Uesaka, but all of the barbells I've seen have a common weakness - which is the lack of sealing between the sleeve and the shaft. This makes it possible for dust and grit to enter the bearing interfaces over a period of years. It also allows internal corrosion to form in certain circumstances (but this is usually only an issue in areas that are unusually humid or located close to the sea).

I only mention this because it's arguably a design error rather than a manufacturing error. The barbell could have been fine when it left the factory.