Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about the 2019 AO...since it's over

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Blairbob View Post
    I forgot to create a thread about here as I've been busy with other stuff while I'm out of town.

Some lifters who were definitely UTR came out to play.

Mary Theissen CJ 154 and SN 106 (has done 111 from floor?) ex thrower and coach

Like that Lindsay Siolka that MFlagg pointed out to me. 197@59

Cicely Kyle doing 168@45 as a 35yo master (yes, she was previously sanctioned for a tainted supplement).
    Kyle's performance surprised me. The 45 class hasn't really had any standouts yet. It was great to see.

The showdown at 49 wasn't quite as exciting as it should have been. King put up a nice total for her. Ritchie seems to be in that Derek Johnson place where the big weight cut (allegedly 4-5 kg) leads to inconsistency on the platform. Jordan hasn't quite settled into the 49 weight class yet, but hopefully she will soon.

Lachance has steadily built up her total like 5 kg each comp and is actually close to the 3 elite lifters there with a 230 total. Alwine edged her out by 1.

Mattie opened too high on snatch. She and her team mentioned some reasons for that, but opening at 1 kg below your comp PR is very risky unless you are a young lifter on the rise. If you miss your first attempt, it seems psychologically tough to recover, knowing it is a heavy weight for you. On top of that, where do you go if you make 105? 107 for a new PR and then 110 to match her block snatch? Seems too tightly packed. Open at a weight that you routinely hit. 135 was a PR and she seems to like the team so hopefully big things are coming. Great 109 snatch by Shacasia, and after a weird CnJ opener miss, she put up a solid 241 total.

PR total for Bradley at 81. Being taller myself, I like to watch her lift.

Monster CnJ from Theissen at Super. 154 isn't really that far off Robles' best.

Good to see some new talent emerging on the men's side with Addison and Cuicchi.

Townsend with that pull at 89, power cleaning 180 and getting second. Blackwell got the victory in a 2/6 performance. Very strange CnJ attempts from Downey. He missed 185 twice (186 would secure the victory over Blackwell), and missed the clean on the second attempt. Then he jumps to 194 on his third, which we all knew what the outcome would be. Maybe he needed a certain total for Panams or something?

The Robi system and higher level of comp in the US has created a 2 tiered competition circuit where we rarely get to see the top lifters at the AO finals anymore. I kind of miss it... but then again, Americans are medalling at world's now.
    Last edited by Jason S; 12-13-2019 at 12:46 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Blairbob View Post
    Mary Theissen CJ 154 and SN 106 (has done 111 from floor?) ex thrower and coach
    According to her Instagram she has snatched 113 in training (from the floor with no straps) and done a 155 clean & jerk.

I expect she'll break the C&J record at some point soon, given how easy her 155 looked.

Which is pretty impressive given her age. Her instagram suggests she recently turned 30.

3. Likes Blairbob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by b_degennaro View Post
    Can we talk about the very low success rate in the majority of the sessions?
    I also think this is a very important issue. Or should be. I only really only watched the 64 A group snatches, but I believe out of 33 lifts the success rate was 14 or 15 out of 33. The Soviets rightly so came up with a reliability index for elite lifters where a lifter success rate in important meets was measured. Making 5/6 or 6/6 is so... important with beginners and often sets the tone for a wtl career. It relates directly to the "plan" and program. Regrettably "hope" is not a plan.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by robo View Post
    I also think this is a very important issue. Or should be. .
    agreed. i havent paid much attention to whether or not theres a higher success rate in international meets, but, in an all american meet, i can see it being an AmErIcA issue of just pushing for the highest possible number vs the best (technically proficient) lifts (which i personally feel are more important).

Anybody know why Jordan is in the 49s now? She looked pretty good to me at 55. Especially because she's still young and growing. Besides, its not like we have any other 55s for tokyo (that i can remember).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rawfeels View Post
    Anybody know why Jordan is in the 49s now? She looked pretty good to me at 55. Especially because she's still young and growing. Besides, its not like we have any other 55s for tokyo (that i can remember).
    yeah, real curious on this.

Totalled 209 at PanAmsChamps as a 55.
    200 another time near that time also (as 55).

Now 183 at 49?
    184 ttl is Turkey as a 49 also?

maybe she has an injury or something right now but its not working out it seems.

doesn't seem to be panning out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jourdan has a much greater chance at 49 than 55 to medal. 190-200 total at the Olympics is likely a medal since Thailand is out and China can only send 1 lifter. At Worlds the last two years the threshold to be in the top 4 was around 190.

One prominent coach called a session embarrassing when only two lifters made their second jerk attempts and everyone else bombed or only managed the first ... in a B session! I don't get do or die/glory attempts. Just because it put you on an international team does not speak to your ability to actually compete or should you be expected to recreate said lift in a different time zone with many different conditions pertaining to managing weight, diet, and training. I think an issue is a lot of people train for training's sake rather than for competition in mind. There are a lot of kilos left on the platform with very large jumps or ambitious attempts.

Looking at 2019 Worlds on the men's side they made 19/30 snatch attempts and 18/30 jerk attempts, with the women at 16/30 for both lifts respectively.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Robi system and higher level of comp in the US has created a 2 tiered competition circuit where we rarely get to see the top lifters at the AO finals anymore.
    It's been this way for a handful of years now. Some of our best lifters only do the AO if they didn't go to worlds and are trying to qualify for PanAms. But with 3 other National meets now, even the AO and Nationals aren't as important anymore because going to PanAms and Worlds is what means something for our best.

Post Thanks / Like
    DelaCruz ranks 9th in the 55 class. It doesn't show her total from the Naim Invitational that was worth 757.56robi. That means she is at 3195.68. There are 4 chinese at head of her so take out 3.

Hidilyn only has 3 scores to be at 2731 and her lowest total is worth 829.52robi and it's highly likely she will go to Asian Champs to secure her spot.

We don't know if Ershova will be able to compete and she is ranked 10th right now. She has 4 scores but the last was about 200pts down from what she normally scores. If she gets a score like that she will push beyond 3000.

Escobar is ranked 9th but her last robi score was 300pts less than her 2nd to lowest total.

AMALAHA has only 3 scores in and should be good for another 800+pts.

Rodriguez from Venezuela would have been a threat has she not bombed in P1. Maybe she gets another 150pts but that won't matter much.

LANDOULSI lost 40kg in her total from P1 to P2. No idea why. Nearly a 500robi pt score difference and she only has 3 robi scores as of now. So she could tip over 3000.
    SHERMETOVA
    So all that means she is pretty much 8th with the Russian. But...SHERMETOVA has 2145pts and has 3 scores, 1 being a poor score she could easily swap out for a 700-800robi and gain 300robi pts besides a 4th robi score.

So Jourdan would currently rank 5th in the 49s. The top 3 49's are Chinese, so take away 2 of those.

Segura is at 3121 and probably can get another score to increase her score maybe 125pts

Ri song still has 1 more score to get and is at 3052. So she will end up in the high 3000s more than likely.

Mirabai has 2966 for 3 competitions. She could end up at around 4000 as well.

Sobol is at 2964 but with another score she could probably only total 150+ pts. That and the Russia drama so she might be staying at home.

Piron is at 2562 and will make likely score 700-850 in P3 putting her around 3300-3400.

King is at 2134 with 3 scores. If she manages to get 800pts, she will still be under 3000.

Ritchey is at 2304 with more score left. If she scored a 185 and 190 at 2 silver meets, she could inch out Jourdan if Jourdan could not hold her off.

Post Thanks / Like
    i dont know man...

all the points and jibber jabber aside, if Jourdan can get used to 49 (and doesnt struggle to keep the weight off as a young growing girl), and can improve her total to upper 180s low 190s, and gets the points necessary to beat out Ritchey and King (the latter of which has roughly the same total and is accustomed to the class)...., removing the Chinese, Jourdan will still have a tough fight to get 3rd against the rest of the group at 49 with a 185-190 total.

that's a lot of ifs.

if she goes in as a 55, she goes to the olympics, and doesnt podium... but she goes to the olympics. Which to my understanding is half the point of all this. The other half being winning or, at worst, medaling.

at face value, removing the chinese, King has just as much a chance as Jourdan to get 3rd and she's been light since forever. Jourdan has 7ish months to grow accustomed... but, if i had to guess, i'd say her body naturally lies closer to 55+ than 49. *shrug.

Post Thanks / Like
    What's the deal with Mohamed Sultan? I caught the end of the 81s, and he was hitting some big numbers. The announcers seemed to know him, but I hadn't heard of him before.