Likes Likes:  7
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does anybody have an entry-list for the Qatar International Cup in Doha?

Post Thanks / Like
    Just noticed Kostova also reading 0 points from period two. She's far from being the best W59 from Europe and won't make it either.

Post Thanks / Like
    That 175 from period 1 also screwed her. 411 robi pts which another 300 would have been a help.Which is also why it isn't a good idea to only compete once per period.

Post Thanks / Like
    https://www.insidethegames.biz/artic...ion-tokyo-2020

"If the best athletes are not there, if it is not as good a competition as it could be, it is bad for weightlifting and for the people watching.”

Ursula Garza Papandrea, the IWF vice-president who spoke to both Rostami and Ismayilov in Qatar, said, "It seems there are side-effects of the qualifying system that will potentially eliminate some of our best lifters.

"Obviously bomb-outs are part of the sport and people can dwell on that point, but this qualifying process was never intended to leave out the best lifters due to one bad meet.

"In a sport with low media attention, high-profile Olympic champions are a huge help overall by attracting more fans and viewers."
    Curious though, the vast majority of lifters and countries managed the process just fine.

I fail to become sympathetic towards their frankly arrogant and/or lazy approach. There was plenty of time to plan ahead and enter a second or third meet in each period. Other people had no issue seizing the dozens of opportunities.
    Rostami especially e.g. is not too poor to fly around the world two more times.
    Last edited by erpel; 12-30-2019 at 09:32 PM.

4. Likes Blairbob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by erpel View Post
    https://www.insidethegames.biz/artic...ion-tokyo-2020

Curious though, the vast majority of lifters and countries managed the process just fine.

I fail to become sympathetic towards their frankly arrogant and/or lazy approach. There was plenty of time to plan ahead and enter a second or third meet in each period. Other people had no issue seizing the dozens of opportunities.
    Rostami especially e.g. is not too poor to fly around the world two more times.
    Rostami did end up competing again in Switzerland but the IWF won't recognise it. Sure he was a late entry but if the event organisers were willing to accept a late entry and let him compete I don't understand why the IWF aren't counting it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Two months whereabout information for one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rostami didn’t follow the rules, why should he be allowed to compete? These rules have been in place since 2018 Worlds. He has had one year to familiarize himself with the selection process yet he has failed to do so and expects to be made an exception? Fuck that and fuck him. He missed his train.

Rostami has victimized himself throughout this because he thinks of a conspiracy orchestrated by the IWF to shut him out of the Olympics. Even North Korea has this selection process down pat and are sending people to every competition available.

8. Likes Blairbob, Bulldog73 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by erpel View Post
    Two months whereabout information for one.
    Which 2 month period are you referring to? The Swiss comp was 4 weeks after Worlds.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, the months before and after worlds in this case. The first would be covered as it overlapped. But not the second if it was on short notice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by b_degennaro View Post
    Even North Korea has this selection process down pat and are sending people to every competition available.
    Ha, I wanted to reference them as well but after looking at the tables I noticed they messed up too. Both their 81s bombed at worlds with no other comp. PRK will likely only send three men to Tokyo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Choe Jon-Wi and Ri Chong-song competed at 2019 Asians and 2018 Worlds if I'm not mistaken so they have at least those two. I was largely referencing Choe Hyo-Sim, Rim Un, and Rim Jong Sim.

I suspect O Kang Chol and Pak Jong Ju are the men they will send. Not sure what Om Yun Chol will be doing.