Likes Likes:  23
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: International weightlifting without steroids

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by erpel View Post
    Hypothetical question:

WL gets dropped for 2024 due to current events. But there's a chance it gets accepted back for 2028 if the whole structure and administration is overhauled.

Would countries continue to fund this sport?
    At the of the nineties the Portuguese Weightlifting Federation lost state support, due to some shady issues and the sport pratically dissapeared, so yes, i think it can have serious effects, especially if there is a big dependance on public funds.

2. Likes Cleddau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Doping or not, the same guys/girls would still end up on top."

This is a common narrative of those indifferent or supportive of steroids in WL.

The last two years have shown how wrong this statement really is.
    The coaches have no idea what to do now and the lifters aren't superiorly talented.

4. Likes Cleddau, psstein liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This is a common narrative of those indifferent or supportive of steroids in WL.

The coaches have no idea what to do now and the lifters aren't superiorly talented.
    I used to think this. I no longer do, primarily because the training styles and mentalities are so very different.

6. Likes Cleddau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Though I 90% agree with erpel's statement, I think once/if those coaches adapt, their lifters would not be as hopeless as they are currently.

In the various current doping countries, WL still offers more of an incentive for success and talent than in the current non-doping countries due to the difference in income/living costs.

As it stands though, it's funny (if you're into morbid humour I guess) to see Kazakhstan's junior team out-lifting their senior team.
    Last edited by strapping; 05-29-2020 at 01:43 AM. Reason: brevity

8. Likes Hawkpeter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just to find one example, the Kazakhs are clueless in how to train without drugs. When, like Ilyin, you go from 190/245 to barely 170/200, your training isn't what's putting you over the top.

Post Thanks / Like
    Speaking of Kazakhstan, their national team hasn't received salaries for six months now if you translate this:
    https://vesti.kz/heavyathl/281299/

Post Thanks / Like
    Speaking of Kazakhstan, their national team hasn't received salaries for six months now if you translate this:
    https://vesti.kz/heavyathl/281299/
    I wonder if this explains the Ilya retirement timing - or if because of his retirement government money dried up for the other lifters.

Post Thanks / Like
    An update to this story: the missing salary was "only" from the WL federation, about $600 per month. They also receive about $2100 from their national Olympic committee.
    The federation said it has no money at the moment due to lacking sponsors (not indicated whether that term means government agency or private business).

13. Likes Blairbob liked this post