Likes Likes:  17
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: International weightlifting without steroids

Post Thanks / Like

International weightlifting without steroids

As we're closing in on 2020 and thus The Cleanest Olympics Everâ„¢ I'd like to speculate what the future could look like.

Let's pretend for a minute steroid use in WL could be reduced to a minimum, either by pixie magic or draconian sanctions... how would the stars realign?

Perhaps:

a) the medal table from WWC/OG would read as following:

1. China
    2. USA
    3. South Korea
    4. Russia
    5. Japan
    6. Colombia

rank 1&2 would be steady but 3-6 fluid

b) individual lifters from countries without decent government backing (e.g. Australia) would still be able to medal at the highest level

c) lifters from western countries like Italy, Germany or Canada would be regularly amongst the world medalists

d) the most drastic: professional/nationalized programs would plainly not exist in small and comparatively poor countries like Uzbekistan, North Korea, Azerbaijan, Thailand etc pp.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would like to see this happen. I believe in lifetime bans for the athlete on the first sanction, as well as investigations into coaches of the teams should occur.

All your points are agreeable. Most importantly is the competitions would become much closer fights in an A session with the top 5-7 lifters all within a few kilos of one another. To me this is more entertaining and interesting to watch than 1-2 standout lifters per sessions. Anyone who falls in the mindset of "I want to see inhuman numbers/world records/one lifter dominance" does not have a mature view of sports. Why watch Usain Bolt race against high school freshman or a professional soccer team play against intramurals? It's superficial to be awed by just big weights. I'm more impressed with technique and close competitions as that is what this sport is about.

3. Likes erpel, Blairbob, Cleddau, mb_here liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a quick over view of what the higher performing males from countries with seemingly more serious out of competition testing are able to hit. So I left out most eastern european, central asian, south and central american countries.

I calculated the top for from each country by sinclair for international performances and PB's I could find in the last 18 months. There are likely better performances out there but you can see where it basically gets you.
    Last edited by Hawkpeter; 12-28-2019 at 09:33 PM.

5. Likes Cleddau, erpel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by b_degennaro View Post
    Anyone who falls in the mindset of "I want to see inhuman numbers/world records/one lifter dominance" does not have a mature view of sports..
    well said; My thoughts are a bit harsher and stronger in regards to this very prevalent warped thinking.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkpeter View Post
    Yes, this shift certainly would take place. Gradually - but not totally - success in this sport would align with the Olympic scene as a whole.

Post Thanks / Like
    I do think we are getting close to that at the moment, and I definitely agree with you guys that anyone wanting to see 'inhuman numbers' and shit is being dumb. People will actually die, less people will be interested in the sport, it will get villified in society, end of WLing as a more mainstream sport and become a freakshow. Lifetime bans on the first offence? Honestly, I don't think that is a bad idea anyway. For all of us lifters here - how hard is it just not take any supplements? If it is indeed a first time offence lifetime ban, then I believe the amount of substance found in the bloodstream/urine should be higher than what they are currently, to completely do away with the notion of tainted supplements. Now, if you want to compete fully clean, stop buying weird supplements from unknown brands to get 'an edge'. On the other hand, if there is any possibility of being found to have taken a tainted supplement but you were not out to cheat, then that eventuality needs to be covered with slightly higher dosages at the 'bannable' level.

China would still be somewhat dominant in the sport I think, simply because they still do more than any other country I know of training wise, but I feel it is a little unfair to say bunch of countries with a long history of WLing would just not feature while places as undeserving of the UK and NZ would feature at the very top. NZ has one decent lifter. UK has some alright females, but the attention to detail and wider approach to sports is complete nonsense in the UK. Max out, injury, surgery, rehab, repeat forever etc. Drugs or not, a systematic, gradual approach with a lot of focus on the smaller things will beat everything else over time.

Post Thanks / Like
    I certainly wouldn't claim the UK or really any country as a whole, no.

But then again I do think Zoe Smith or Pizzolato ITA would have a chance at a WWC medal if you look at who's ahead of them now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by erpel View Post
    Yes, this shift certainly would take place. Gradually - but not totally - success in this sport would align with the Olympic scene as a whole.
    I tend to agree with that. I put together combined medal tables for the last two World Championships for each of Weightlifting, T&F, Gymnastics and Swimming.

China dominates in weighlifting in a way no other country dominates another sport. We can speculate on why. Certainly without the collegiate level support I dont see the US ever getting to a level of dominance. Any country with financial support of a national program would continue to do well even as a competitive advantage fueled by doping waned.

Post Thanks / Like
    Without doping, the sport will become more of a numbers game in terms of recruitment and talent pool. No longer can an athlete be almost good enough or only somewhat talented. You need to find the most gifted athletes, as theres no longer the significant edge that doping can be, to be added.

In a country like the US this is achieved through making the sport popular enough that the chances are reasonable for very gifted athletes in different sizes/potential weightclasses try the sport at an early enough age.

Equally as important is going to be taking care of the people that start out in the sport. Common reasons for talented lifters quitting weightlifting should be identified and then be worked on somehow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Those of you advocating for lifetime bans on a first offense, are you talking strictly about positives for anabolics/GH/etc.? Would three whereabouts failures in a brief period be a lifetime ban? An in-competition positive for marijuana or cocaine? Pseudoephedrine? Diuretics? Do people currently competing with one prior sanction get grandfathered in (i.e. Lasha)?