Likes Likes:  17
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: International weightlifting without steroids

Post Thanks / Like
    Anything anabolic and hormonal. I think whereabouts failures can be 2-4 years although in this day and age, you should not be failing whereabouts. I think DPRK has at least one OOC positive, soooo... yeah. Not to make DPRK the punching bag of jokes but if DPRK can abide by those rules there is no excuse.

Stimulants I think are fine with a 2-4 year ban or stripping of results. The bigger issue is kidney and heart issues with taking large doses of stimulants, but I do not believe they have the same (drastic) effect on performance as anabolics and hormones do. I could be mistaken because I don’t look at the science with regards to performance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeland View Post
    Without doping, the sport will become more of a numbers game in terms of recruitment and talent pool.
    yeah, you'll see certain countries with massive talent pools and large participation numbers bring their government-paid-athletes into the game later in life.... say at/around age ~20.... after years of growing up NOT being in the IWF/WADA testing pool. :wink wink emoji:

Lifters will come out of nowhere, post good numbers, win medals, then disappear.

Post Thanks / Like
    Qualifying period was from November 2018-April 2020, broken up into three periods, athletes had to compete at least 6 times and at least once per period, and in respective Olympic category. It would not surprise me if the qualifying period for 2024 began January 2021. It would be difficult to create out of nowhere champions like several countries had before. Not impossible but we have seen lifters disappear for a few years, post very large training numbers, return to a testing pool, and come nowhere near those training performances or at best take 2-4 years to get close to those numbers.

We are not going to have overnight winners anymore. We currently do not have that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by b_degennaro View Post
    Anyone who falls in the mindset of "I want to see inhuman numbers/world records/one lifter dominance" does not have a mature view of sports.
    "You're just a natty edge lord."

-All of Reddit.

5. Likes psstein, Cleddau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hypothetical question:

WL gets dropped for 2024 due to current events. But there's a chance it gets accepted back for 2028 if the whole structure and administration is overhauled.

Would countries continue to fund this sport?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by erpel View Post
    Hypothetical question:

WL gets dropped for 2024 due to current events. But there's a chance it gets accepted back for 2028 if the whole structure and administration is overhauled.

I think it would be a fairly straight forward case of funding a sport that is in the Olympics or not. And then for that country satisfying the question of do they get return in performance and how popular and well supported in the sport publicly. A disruption of any historical revenue stream would probably put a dent in the functions of a WL federation though.

There would need to be a lot of country by country negotiations keep the sport going strong with all 5 continental regions.

What might be wise is to imagine what the future of the Olympic movement looks like. Because if there is a de-nationalization of sport, and a de-coupling of sport from public funding, then organizations like the IWF need to examine other models for the sustainable future.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by erpel View Post
    Hypothetical question:

I don't know. I suspect some sort of federation split if the IOC drops WL. Not as bad as PL, but probably something along the lines of tested/untested.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FFF View Post
    "You're just a natty edge lord."

-All of Reddit.
    The sport would be drastically more interesting if it were really drug free. Outside of the freakiest of genetic freaks, competitions would depend more on strategy and attempt selection, vs. the current model where one lifter dominates a class by a big margin.

10. Likes Cleddau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by psstein View Post
    The sport would be drastically more interesting if it were really drug free. Outside of the freakiest of genetic freaks, competitions would depend more on strategy and attempt selection, vs. the current model where one lifter dominates a class by a big margin.
    On the contrary, the thing that I enjoy most about sport is the absolute freaks of nature that somewhere in their DNA there is a very rare component that gives them all the abilities to be amazing at their selected sport. I don't care so much about attempt selection and stuff like that, that happens at most good competitions anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    We would still have outliers in competitions but we would have more close competitions. Coaches and athletes would have to adapt to more strategic weight selections and planning. I am not just talking about two or three lifters going back and forth, I am talking about the majority of a session. Someone who is 10th in the snatch coming out on top for the total gold because many lifters tied or are only separated by 3-4kg. The lifters and coaches who make the smart weight attempts and make their lifts are the ones who are going to medal.

I remember talking to Waxman and JP Nicoletta or hearing in a podcast they were talking about how some countries have little idea how to compete outside of putting down the heaviest lifts and just taking 5+kg jumps.

13. Likes Blairbob, Cleddau liked this post