Likes Likes:  12
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: The "current IWF competition going on" thread

Post Thanks / Like
    At the rate that countries are banning travel, very little international competition is going to be possible for some time. The US has now banned flights from Europe.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been told that consensus is building within the IWF to endorse the following proposal to modify the Tokyo 2020 qualifying procedure (wording is mine):

• The requirement for athletes to participate in international events will be reduced from 6 events to 4 events.
    • The qualifying period will be extended to a date in June (to permit the inclusion of results from the postponed Continental Championships)
    • The qualifying system will otherwise remain unchanged i.e. rankings will be calculated from four events across three periods.

3. Likes Hawkpeter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    So the IWF has submitted alternate qualification rules to the IOC but they aren't disclosing it to coaches and athletes yet until it is approved. But they are not extending the qualification period.

EDIT: Over on reddit Holly Ford is saying that the qualifying period has been brought forward to March 31st, lifters on the preliminary start lists for remaining competitions will be credited with those appearances, otherwise the system remains unchanged and the current standards of ROBI points will be the final points and rankings.
    Crikey, if thats true, anyone relying on the continental result to be added to their total for a 4th score or big improvement is going to the hurting.
    Last edited by Hawkpeter; 03-18-2020 at 08:00 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I heard the qualifying period will be extended backwards to include 2014-2017 competitions.

Also, is the Olympics going to even happen? I don't see it.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    More and more countries will follow in not planning to send a games team until the Tokyo organizing committee + IOC relents and they reschedule to a later date.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkpeter View Post
    More and more countries will follow in not planning to send a games team until the Tokyo organizing committee + IOC relents and they reschedule to a later date.
    https://www.iwf.net/2020/03/24/break...020-postponed/

Post Thanks / Like
    My Unqualified Opinion:

The IWF will schedule a major tournament in 2021 that will also serve as the principal qualifying event for the 2021 Tokyo Olympics.

1. The top eight ranked athletes within each of the Olympic bodyweight categories will be offered an invitation to compete at the Olympics.

2. They will be joined by the winners (or the most highly ranked athlete who isn't already in the top 8) from the 2021 Continental Championships.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleddau View Post
    My Unqualified Opinion:

The IWF will schedule a major tournament in 2021 that will also serve as the principal qualifying event for the 2021 Tokyo Olympics.

1. The top eight ranked athletes within each of the Olympic bodyweight categories will be offered an invitation to compete at the Olympics.

2. They will be joined by the winners (or the most highly ranked athlete who isn't already in the top 8) from the 2021 Continental Championships.
    Why couldn't they just go back to the original selection system with an extended finish to the qualifying period?

Post Thanks / Like
    "Athletes who had qualified for the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games will keep their places at the rescheduled event after it was postponed until no later than the summer of 2021 because of the coronavirus pandemic.

The International Olympic Committee (IOC) gave the guarantee on a teleconference call with 33 International Federations yesterday, multiple sources familiar with the talks told insidethegames."

[Insidethegames] Qualified athletes for Tokyo 2020 to keep places at rearranged Olympic Games
    Last edited by Cleddau; 03-27-2020 at 10:22 PM.