Likes Likes:  14
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The "current IWF competition going on" thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by erpel View Post
    ACTUAL TOPIC

after all these cancelations, will there even be an Olympics?

My highly unqualified opinion: the health scare statistics published so far - to me - don't upgrade this above SARS or H1N1/2009. What's different to past pandemics?
    Its already surpassed SARS in total infections and total deaths in a much shorter time frame.

yeah, what others have said:
    CoVID19 has a much higher death rate THAN H1N1.
    Its not HIGH, but yes much worse THAN H1N1

And I think CoVID19's R-O is a little worse than H1N1.

So give it time, if CoVID19 spreads around like H1N1 did and infects a similar amount of total people,
    there will be many more dead people in the end for sure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mbasic View Post
    Its already surpassed SARS in total infections and total deaths in a much shorter time frame.

yeah, what others have said:
    CoVID19 has a much higher death rate THAN H1N1.
    Its not HIGH, but yes much worse THAN H1N1
    From wikipedia, the swine flu (H1N1) had an estimated mortality rate of 0.01-0.08% 2009 flu pandemic

By comparison, I'm seeing estimates for the mortality rate of CoVID19 from 1-2.3%.

And I think CoVID19's R-O is a little worse than H1N1.
    From the same wikipedia article, the R0 of H1N1 was estimated at 1.75, where I've seen estimates for the R0 of CoVID19 anywhere from 2 to 4. So it's possible it could be twice as infectious as H1N1.

So give it time, if CoVID19 spreads around like H1N1 did and infects a similar amount of total people,
    there will be many more dead people in the end for sure.
    I've seen estimates that as much as 40-70% of the total world population could eventually get CoVID19, or need to be immunized.

If 40% of the world's population catches it, and the mortality rate turns out to be ~1%, that's roughly 31.2 million dead people.
    Last edited by TheJonty; 03-04-2020 at 01:11 AM. Reason: edit: missed a decimal place in the estimated death toll in my last sentence

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, it happened. Asian Championships cancelled.

They'll have to do something about the qualification rules now surely.

Have we seen the last of Ilya, Rostami and Moradi with this?

Post Thanks / Like
    Have we seen the last of Ilya, Rostami and Moradi with this?
    Nat was saying something they should adjust the qualification.

Ilya will be 32 in May while Rostami turns 29 this year. So Rostami could stick around another quad. Sohrab turns 32 this year as well. Ehab turns 31. I think Ehab could stick around another quad.

it's not like Rostami seems to have anything else to do with his life if he's that loaded (millionaire). And Ilya, if he's not a lifter, even in some weaker form, I wonder if he would lose his shit considering he talked about suicide a few years back as everything unraveled.

Post Thanks / Like
    They can enter a different continental championships:

https://www.iwf.net/wp-content/plugi...ad.php?id=1902

Huh, Beijing is closer to Moscow than Nauru.

Post Thanks / Like
    Asian's status changed to merely postponed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Something that needs to be considered is that athletes and coaches from some countries are being prevented from travelling even when qualifying events aren’t cancelled.

I know of at least one national team that was denied entry into the USA for the Arnold bronze qualifier because members of the team had competed in Italy at the Roma World Cup.

A lot of athletes will have real problems getting to six qualifying events if they haven’t already done so.
    Last edited by Cleddau; 03-11-2020 at 04:20 AM.

8. Likes Hawkpeter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hopefully a lot of this mess will be made clear on the 17th when the IWF board meets next.

Post Thanks / Like
    Europeans and African championships now post-poned, now outside the qualifying period...... what is the fairest adjustment to the qualifying regulations?

5 events and best 3 ROBI totals?

Post Thanks / Like
    This mess will probably kill a sport like Weightlifting.
    Its a two fold hit.

Its a very small and fringe sport; there are not many are interested in as fans.
    One of the main allures or whatever is International Competition aspect.
    A lot of interest among athletes will die IMO in countries like the USA, etc.
    Countries with big nationally sponsored programs, same thing....there is nothing to gain by only competing locally.

The whole point of the new Olympic qualification procedures was to make athlete compete in more 'big' events and get exposed to more testing ...err chances to be tested....so they couldn't hide out in their home countries.

Even if say a vaccine for this bug; it'll be another bug down the road.
    The problem is not even from the bug itself; the problem is with the over-reactionary panic.