Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: macros

Post Thanks / Like

macros

I've been tracking my macros for a while now, and the numbers are: fat is around 125 g/day (37% of my daily caloric intake), carbs is around 305 g/day (40%), and protein is around 175 g/day (23%). (By the way, I weigh around 75-75 kg). My question is if my fats are too high? If so, should I put those calories into more protein (which already seems sufficient) or more carbs? I'm asking because I've been reading that for athletes, 20 - 30% of their daily calories should come from fat. Those numbers equate to around 2875 - 2900 cals/day, which keeps my weight at around 75 kg. So, I don't know if I should just the fats and not add the calories somewhere else.

Not sure if it matters, but my fats mostly come from olive oil, butter, peanut butter, seafood, and some fats from meat (I tend to eat low-fat cuts like eye of round, top sirloin, etc.).

Post Thanks / Like
    Depends what your goals are with the diet, how much you train, how you feel.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's very individual. I respond well to a low carb/high fat diet, but you may be different. There is nothing universal about macros.

Post Thanks / Like
    IMO it should be a natural corollary to ask what phase of training are you in when considering diet. Periodising your diet should occur right alongside periodising the rest of your training.

Post Thanks / Like
    20-25% of calories from fat is on the low side and shows up with something like a 9-10% lower T levels. Tbh, that's not very significant if you go from 500 to 450.
    30-35% is what's in the literature for optimal hormone levels but it's more complicated as it also matters what kind of each kind of fats, etc

you can probably nip a little bit off your fat calories and transfer it to your carb intake.

if you really want to be sure, you'd need your bloodwork done besides tracking HR, BP and how you generally feel in training and during the day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry, I'm in a preparation phase (so more overall volume, but that extra volume comes from auxiliary exercises which are not all that dynamic -- presses, RDL, etc.). Also, not sure what I was thinking when I wrote the last sentence, but it should say that I don't think that I should just cut the calories from fat. Rather, I need around 2900 cals/day to maintain my weight at this current period in training.

From the responses, is it safe to assume that what I currently have is not out of the realm of what would be considered typical? Also, it wouldn't be unrealistic if I were to cut some fats and add in either more carbs or more protein (or both, depending upon how I respond)?

Thanks again for all the comments!

Post Thanks / Like
    You could try a bit less fat and more protein or carbs but for the most part you are probably fine unless you feel a bit gassed during training.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Blairbob View Post
    You could try a bit less fat and more protein or carbs but for the most part you are probably fine unless you feel a bit gassed during training.
    I have noticed lately that I have been a little more irritable. Do you think this could be a sign of not enough carbs or protein, or too much fat? (or maybe overtraining; not enough calories)?

Post Thanks / Like
    Could just be training stress and/or lack of sleep or calories.

Simple answer, are you hungry? How much sleep are you getting? Do you sleep like the dead or wake up throughout the rack time?

If you're not hungry, it's probably training stress or lack of sleep. If it isn't work or SO related.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Blairbob View Post
    Could just be training stress and/or lack of sleep or calories.

Simple answer, are you hungry? How much sleep are you getting? Do you sleep like the dead or wake up throughout the rack time?

If you're not hungry, it's probably training stress or lack of sleep. If it isn't work or SO related.
    I don't sleep as well as I would like (I tend to wake up at least once to urinate). And I am hungry...but I'm always freaking hungry . Most likely a combo of the two?