Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Ilya Ilyin has retired.

Post Thanks / Like

Ilya Ilyin has retired.

I'm sorry I couldn't find the link when I came to post this. But he has announced his retirement from weightlifting and will now be some sort of executive for the sport in Kazakhstan.

I know he is just a shell of his once former championship self, but I had hoped that the 1 year delay of the Olympics would give him time to make a stronger comeback. But instead, he's just done.

Perhaps he knew he could never truly compete at his former level. Perhaps he knew he couldn't pass a competition drug test. Maybe he's injured. Nobody but he actually knows. Regardless, I'm going to miss him.

No matter what you think of his positive tests and the stripping of his medals, you have to admit he was amazing and put on a hell of a show!

Post Thanks / Like
    In a weird way, it hasn't exculpated him from being the poster boy of the re-tests, but his attempt to participate again, seemingly as a clean lifter, and with it have to go through the torture of frustration of not getting better - its almost a kind of penance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah I think him standing up, coming back, competing, being trash compared to before, says more than if he just disappeared after getting popped and saying his girlfriend drugged his food or something.

4. Likes Hawkpeter, strapping liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I found this interview with Ilya Ilyin. U was surprised by his English. I had never seen an interview with him in English before.

https://www.weightliftinghouse.com/2...on-of-the-iwf/

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CNL View Post
    Yeah I think him standing up, coming back, competing, being trash compared to before, says more than if he just disappeared after getting popped and saying his girlfriend drugged his food or something.
    The weak ridiculous excuses seem to be a very American thing to do. If it isn't drugged food, it's taking creatine from a stranger that turned out to be a steroid, or it's through sexual intercourse, or their boyfriend spiked their supplements out of jealousy to try to take their coach down. For whatever reason we Americans never seem to come out and say "ya, I did it, ya got me fair and square. I wanted to be the best, so I took my chances." Everyone wants to be the victim. Of course it doesn't help that it seems there are plenty of Americans who will believe and support these people.

7. Likes Blairbob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KrisG View Post
    The weak ridiculous excuses seem to be a very American thing to do. If it isn't drugged food, it's taking creatine from a stranger that turned out to be a steroid, or it's through sexual intercourse, or their boyfriend spiked their supplements out of jealousy to try to take their coach down. For whatever reason we Americans never seem to come out and say "ya, I did it, ya got me fair and square. I wanted to be the best, so I took my chances." Everyone wants to be the victim. Of course it doesn't help that it seems there are plenty of Americans who will believe and support these people.
    yeah, I don't know if that's an "American thing".

There are plenty of athletes outside of the US who have given excuses for their positives.

I think even the sexual intercourse one you mention above was orginally a Canadian thing.
    (and I don't mean the current story, I mean the one from about 6 years ago)

"Conspiracy" seems like a common one.
    Or, "my country/team doctor was giving it to me and I didn't know what it was".

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mbasic View Post
    I think even the sexual intercourse one you mention above was orginally a Canadian thing.
    (and I don't mean the current story, I mean the one from about 6 years ago)
    Which one are you referring to here?