Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  1

Thread: Powers = early arm bend?

Post Thanks / Like

Powers = early arm bend?

Anybody have an idea why only on power snatches or power cleans I have this ugly early arm bend at the heavier weights and it throws off my whole timing? It’s too the point I’m scared it’s gonna make me develop bad habits and am considering doing away with powers altogether. Any thoughts on why this might be the case? And do I necessarily even need to do powers? I know I didn’t send any videos I’m just asking in general, is there a higher likelihood for early arm bend in powers and if so why?

Post Thanks / Like
    You could be too focused on trying to pull the barbell higher as the weight increases. With the rising weight your receiving position should slowly begin to get lower and lower. What percentages are you attempting your powers at and what percentages are you seeing this arm bend come up? You may be just using too much weight for the powers. I don't think heavy powers have much of a place in a lifter's training due to technical deviations that occur such as an overemphasis on pulling the barbell higher instead of changing directions quickly.

Post Thanks / Like
    IMO the most likely cause of this is that you're rushing and you just need to slow tf down

Does this happen only on "heavier" powers , or would this happen if you were snatching idk like 40kg

High snatch doesn't mean that you suddenly need to go super fast, just focus on controlling the bar, and extending/catching high

Post Thanks / Like
    Who knows many possible reasons. Some general thoughts on power movements. For programming I divide power snatch and power cleans into two BASIC zones; power with light wts 50-70% and power with heavy wts 75-85%. I rarely prescribe power with heavy wts. You may do well as you say with not doing them at all.

The problem may be that you are trying to use the arms in an effort to get the BB higher, forgetting that the legs/back are almost exclusively the drivers of upward vertical olylifting force, it matters NOT whether the lift is power or full. The arms are for pulling the BODY down. Obviously the powers CAN cause the exact opposite and negatively reinforce of what IMO can be defined as good technique. One important point IMO with power movements is at the completion your feet should be in a position to NOW be able to squat easily and comfortably into the bottom of either a snatch or clean, so the STARFISH snatch or clean are definitely OUT, and serve no useful purpose. I see this a lot, but each to their own.

So well I do not typically prescribe heavy powers, I do routinely and frequently prescribe heavy FULL snatch and CJ. For example this past Friday the lifter I coach started the working wts at 83% and finished at 93% intensity for TEN total sets of snatch DOUBLES. The skill in lifting is moving your body exceedingly quickly under a max wt that is by definition going to a lower height . Note this lifter has attended the last 2 world championships.

5. Likes Blairbob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Humble brag flex by Mr Macklem and his world champ guys!

7. Likes Blairbob liked this post
    Dislikes Helder disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Arguably he is the most qualified coach that frequents this forum.

9. Likes Helder, Blairbob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by b_degennaro View Post
    Arguably he is the most qualified coach that frequents this forum.
    I am not sure about that, but thanks.. I am an OK amateur coach. I have much to learn and there is room for much improvement. I put aside an hour or two every day to study weightlifting, I've been doing this routinely for some 6-7 yrs. Its what I do. I am not particularly clever, but I am persistent. I spend considerable time searching for certain information. I continually study other coaches ideas and philosophies. It is now 50 yrs since my 1st competition. I have probably made more mistakes as a lifter and coach than anyone. I have nothing to sell, just opinions on weightlifting. I like to think I can back up a lot with both empirical knowledge and sport science. I can smell wtl BS a mile away, of which there is plenty on the internet. The road has had plenty of ups and downs. There are days when I question my coaching abilities, but as just as the weightlifter does... you push on and move forward hopefully learning from your mistakes. If the lifter is to improve in ranking I must get better. I cannot remain where I am.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by robo View Post
    I am not sure about that, but thanks..
    Who else would you put up there?

Post Thanks / Like

no arm bend

heavy power clean no arm bend (few days ago)
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CB_O-FPgCD0/?hl=en
    an essential "heavy" exercise = front squat (which followed the above exercise pw cl+jk)
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CCAHh9wAtCD/
    Last edited by robo; 06-29-2020 at 11:31 PM.