Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Need help?

Post Thanks / Like

Need help?

So I lifted in the Romaleos 2’s for about 3 years with a .75 inch insert making the heel height 1.5 inches. As a tall guy with long limbs it was helpful and felt good. I switched to the Leistungs (which are 1 inch heels) but have been unable to reach even 90 percent in any of the Olympic lifts or squats despite even gaining about 3 kilos over the course of 5 months. My question is, could a half inch make that much of a difference in leverages that my strength just hasn’t been able to recoup. Again it’s been 5 months, should I switch back?

Post Thanks / Like
    It might, but just about everyone has other efficiency improvements to make. You'd have to really look at your lifts and determine if ankle mobility is really the main constraint. How are the Leistungs holding up? I've seen a few pairs fall to pieces pretty quickly.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think they are built just fine, no issues or concerns there. They are great looking too! I just think it’s weird that it’s not only my squat but my pull too and I’m just wanting to know if a half inch difference in heel height could make that much of a detrimental difference to my lifting as a whole. Like I said it’s been 5 months and I’m not even touching 90% in any of the lifts. I’m an 81kg lifter who has snatched 110kgs and clean and jerked 137kgs. My head tells me it’s simply a coincidence but my gut tells me it’s the shoes.

Post Thanks / Like
    You would need to eliminate other factors. As far as the squat goes, a simple test would be to trying standing on a very thin shim to squat and pay attention to whether the change in geometry felt better.

Post Thanks / Like
    It without question feels better. But does feeling better necessarily equate to that much of a difference in potential for load moved?

Post Thanks / Like
    My .02 on this, as I have been messing with heel height recently. For me, it's mainly to take stress off the shoulders in the OHS position catching snatch (left shoulder is dealing with some issues I'm working on). I currently lift in Rom 1's with an additional 0.25"+, probably close to 1.05" or so total. I recently moved back down by 0.125" and it changed so much, and I tweaked my left shoulder. Immediately went back up.

So, in my opinion, yes it absolutely can. I don't know if you're last comment meant that the higher heel height felt better or lower. I would start by putting a 0.25" lift in the Leistung's and see how that feels and such. Then go from there whether you want to continue to reduce or go back to the full 1.5".