Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DHS 190kg Training Set Review - Bar, Bumper Plates, Change Plates, Collars

Post Thanks / Like

DHS 190kg Training Set Review - Bar, Bumper Plates, Change Plates, Collars

DHS 190kg Training Set Review

How I came to the decision of buying DHS
    Living in the bay area, recently moved to Austin, TX, and traveling frequent for work, I have trained at quite a few gyms through the US and a few in Europe. Which basically means I am frequently hunting around for places that have platforms/bumpers that will let me come in and lift. Through this, I have used some amazing equipment and I have used some absolute junk. Sometimes I will show up at at a gym and see the owner pull out the Eleiko bar just for me and other times I will see a pile of broken bumpers next to rattling bushing bars and try to find the best of the worst. In the end, weight is weight. You can or cannot. A bar will not make you better or worse, only you can change that.

Now that is out of the way, we all can and do have preferences of what equipment we like and don’t like. Which is the basis of all of this. A preference and opinion. If I don’t like a bar that you currently own, please don’t take offense.

I chose DHS mainly as a combination of factors. Quality, price, availability, durability. After using all the different kinds equipment I prioritized and focused on what I liked the most and what I can afford with the assumption I am not buying another bar for 10 years.

http://www.dynamicfitnessequipment.c.../htscm1900.htm

Bar: DHS 20kg and 15kg training bars.

As stated from Dynamic Fitness, the training bars are 100% the same as the competition bars in all manners, knurling, tensile strength, bearings, etc. The only difference is that the training bars never went through an IWF certification process so they may have some imperfections. Mostly it would be in the knurling but nothing affecting you as you accomplish a lift.

Whip
    Very whippy. Even at 120kg it has some bend to it but it snaps right back immediately.

Knurling
    Less than Eleiko, more than Pendlay. Even better once it gets chalk rubbed into it. What about without chalk you say…… I don’t know what life is like without chalk on my hands so I really can’t comment. Put chalk on your hands dammit!

Spin
    Smooth and I don’t feel any resistance on the turnover. Does the job well.
    Video of spin w/ 10kg plate. The sound you hear is the plate slowly moving away from the spin of the bar, not a weird bearing or anything

Overall -

For reference I also have used these bars (and some many different versions of them), some quick reviews of them and categorized into would/would not buy:

Would buy…….
    • Eleiko - A favorite right next to my DHS
    • Uesaka - The ones we have are old and rusty, but damn its still a solid bar with good knurling and a “slower” spin but a solid smooth spin.
    • Werksan - Its a good bar.

Would not buy…...
    • Pendlay (old and latest gen) - Nope and more nope. The old bars get rickety and loose and I don’t like the knurling on the new bars. Too many gyms have them when there are so many other options out there.
    • American Barbell - Meh and more meh. Just another barbell. Bearings seem nice but something about the bar feels kind of…. cheap. Side note: Their competition plates are awesome! Their training plates are lego smelling rubber pieces of junk that bend, bubble up, warp, etc.
    • Rogue Ohio Bar - Your average crossfit bar. Durable and will do the job.
    • York - Cheese grater of a bar and will tear your hands up. Feels cheap too. The ones we have also are “20kg” bars but all weigh somewhere between 19kg and 20kg.

Indifferent
    • Vaughn Bar - Not a bad bar, but not a great bar either.

Knurling Pic

Center knurling pic

Bumper Plates:

Build
    The construction is a metal center ring and a plate of solid rubber. No bolts, loose components, or anything that will break. It is a solid plate. All of the plates are the same width so if you are using the 10kg plates, they won’t bend or break.

Bounce
    More bounce than a pendlay plate. Never really out of control but definitely have a bounce to them that most probably are not used to.

Overall
    They are tight to the bar, stick will and don’t rattle. I have no concerns with long term durability at this point. I found a used 140kg locally for a good price so I am buying more if that says anything for a second platform/less swapping of plates during training/max squat days.

140kg DHS plates on the bar video - Rest day front squats
    http://instagram.com/p/uJr0gLFao-/?modal=true

Pic of bumper on rack

Change Plates
    When I ordered Dynamic Fitness was all out of the rubberized plates so they exchanged them for all metal.
    They are good quality plates but F#@$ me they are loud when taking them on and off the bar. God help you if you drop one on concrete. Its like banging a tuning fork on your temple….. it hurts your brain.
    I have talked with Dynamic about exchanging the 2.5 and 5’s for rubberized but the need isn’t overwhelming.

Video with some audio

Collars: Training collars
    I have the training collars but the only difference between these and the competition collars is that the competition collars are magnetic. Other than that, they are identical.
    These things are spectacular and by far my favorite 2.5kg collar I have used on any bar. The lock is easy to use and the rubber washer is durable and can tight up real good and creates a good solid lock with all the weights.

Training collar pic

———

I think anyone here that buys the DHS equipment would be happy with it and have no problems. I would buy them again and if I were outfitting a gym, I would look to stock their bars as awesome training bars.

+1 for DHS

Edit:

Video of Caffeine and Kilos offices with DHS equipment being used by Ford, Wilson, Hisaka, North.
    Last edited by Justin; 01-14-2015 at 04:24 PM. Reason: and video

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the fantastic review, Justin.
    Currently reading: The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins

Just Finished Reading: City of Thieves by David Benioff

Friend me on Facebook

Give us a shoutout on IG by using #WLForums and we'll follow you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FFF View Post
    Thanks for the fantastic review, Justin.
    x2. Perfectly done. The quality of info on this forum keeps improving. Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Killer. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    my club was all dhs errythang. real quality stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Concur. Got to lift on DHS at Max Aita's. One of our guys loved the DHS stuff though we did have a DHS competition bar at Midtown.

Post Thanks / Like
    Justin, I'm assuming you no longer own a Pendlay, ya?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by garagegyms View Post
    Justin, I'm assuming you no longer own a Pendlay, ya?
    Hahaha. Never owned a Pendlay, just used all sorts of them across many of the gyms I have worked out in. The opinion is strictly in the view of a new purchase at this point in time based on what I have used. I may have been a bit stingy, because if I had the choice to train with a Pendlay vs a Rogue/American Barbell/York bar, of course im jumping over to the Pendlay.

Post Thanks / Like
    We actually have a pretty decent york bearing bar I like at my gym. Locks up sometimes though and touch knurling.

Agree with pretty much everything in the review. The plates are sturdy but bouncy, should last you many years. Love DHS's stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe it's just the pictures, but is the center knurling much smoother/less aggressive than the rest of the bar?

After using some old York bars with center knurling and leaving the gym looking like I had been lynched I am afraid of the center knurling.