Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IWF: 2020 World Championships for non-Olympic categories

Post Thanks / Like

IWF: 2020 World Championships for non-Olympic categories

"Just yesterday, the [IWF] Executive Board decided the three categories, which is three events for men and women, will have World Championships organised for them even in the Olympic year," Aján said.

"If we don’t organise World Championships, these three categories will slowly reduce and die," he added.
    https://www.insidethegames.biz/artic...mpic-divisions

That's going to be one weird competition.
    Last edited by erpel; 09-22-2018 at 10:29 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is stupid.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FFF View Post
    This is stupid.
    Wrestling has done it for years.

4. Likes Gary Echternacht liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJonty View Post
    Wrestling has done it for years.
    How many weight classes does Wrestling have compete at their world championship in the Olympic year?

I feel like they should do a full on Championship. Let the non Olympians in Olympic contested classes compete.

Post Thanks / Like
    How many weight classes does Wrestling have compete at their world championship in the Olympic year?

I feel like they should do a full on Championship. Let the non Olympians in Olympic contested classes compete.
    I just pulled it up on Wikipedia, and it looks like when only the women had to drop classes for the Olympics, they had a world championship with all the female classes (7 of them) and none of the men, but in 2016 both the men and women had to drop classes so they just had a championship for all of the dropped classes, of which there were six - two each of men's freestyle, men's greco-roman, and women's freestyle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Seriously... what kind ov head-injured fuck is making the decisions in the IWF these days...???

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Judas View Post
    Seriously... what kind ov head-injured fuck is making the decisions in the IWF these days...???
    Oh oh oh.... I'll answer this.

*ahem* (clears throat)

'A committee.'

Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn't mind that, but more so than wrestling weightlifting is rather objective with its numbers. I don't think the IWF wants to see the world champ lifting more than the Olympic champ for the same year.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJonty View Post
    I just pulled it up on Wikipedia, and it looks like when only the women had to drop classes for the Olympics, they had a world championship with all the female classes (7 of them) and none of the men, but in 2016 both the men and women had to drop classes so they just had a championship for all of the dropped classes, of which there were six - two each of men's freestyle, men's greco-roman, and women's freestyle.
    It just seems like a whole lot of work and money to put together a "World Championship" for so few athletes.

Quote Originally Posted by erpel View Post
    I don't think the IWF wants to see the world champ lifting more than the Olympic champ for the same year.
    That is a consideration I had not thought of, though I wonder in practice how much the OG would really care and/or would have that much control over. Is the IOC really going to bar the IWF from having their own world championship?

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe we would see lifters from the olympic categories who arent qualified for the olympics move into these classes for that year.