Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Injury Thread (Share your story, recovery methods, or ask questions!)

Post Thanks / Like

The Injury Thread (Share your story, recovery methods, or ask questions!)

Forum member Poobington suggested a sticky on this topic, so please share your experience. Some things to think about including in your posts:

-What and how you injured yourself
    -What you did to comeback from that injury
    -What changed about your training after the recovery

I'll start.

A little over a year ago, I dropped an 80kg snatch on myself. Very directly on my lower back. It was incredibly swollen for a few weeks, and as a result there wast a lot of gnarly tissue in there that caused a lot of pain. Up until about 2 months ago it was still sensitive to the touch! I'm not one to have lower back problems, but I couldn't do any kind of hip dominant work without being in pain the next day. I had some dry needling done which helped, but seemed more like a temporary fix. It would feel better for a few days and then go back to being painful. One thing that I found really helped was strengthening my glutes, particularly via leg abduction which hit the glue med really well. My favorite exercise is what I call a lateral leg raise.

This guy does a decent job of explaining it

The only thing I do differently is I like to point the toes downward slightly, I feel I get a better contraction of the glute that way.

So, what are your experiences? Let's make this into a great resource for those visiting the site!
    Currently reading: The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins

Just Finished Reading: City of Thieves by David Benioff

Friend me on Facebook

Give us a shoutout on IG by using #WLForums and we'll follow you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Injuries in weightlifting (general taxonomy)

-menisci tears
    -recalcitrant injuries to the non weight bearing elements of the knee, like the cartilage behind the patella, or degradation of the tendon complex itself.
    -spinal disc injuries of various types
    -wrist injuries
    a. fractures
    b. tendon&ligament damage
    -elbow dislocations (may include ligament tears)
    -ruptures like patella tendon rupture
    -hip or shoulder labrum tears
    -other shoulder degradation (not sure what)
    -abdominal tears & hernias
    -falls, slips and barbell collisions
    -muscle tears of varying severity
    -acl ruptures (rare)
    -calf or ankle pains -- can get pretty bad
    -hurt pride or ego (common)
    Last edited by nailsOnAChalkBoard; 12-15-2014 at 04:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    While I was (foolishly) training under the Bulgarian System, I was also playing in a beach volleyball league. I can't pinpoint an exact time when I got injured, but one day I could only manage about 10 degrees of hip flexion and extension before getting excruciating pain in my right glute (superior to the greater trochanter, inferior to the illiac crest). I tried a whole combination of stretching, foam rolling (incl lax ball), massage and some ART, all with very minimal help. Eventually I could get everything stretched out enough to train some hamstrings and found that to be extremely helpful. I found that the stronger my hamstrings got, the less my hip hurt.

Squats were out of the question, but I could deadlift off blocks pain-free so I did that one day per week (monday), and did a lot of leg curls another day (thursday). Eventually I was able to pull off the floor without pain, and I could do more hip extension exercises on thursdays on top of the leg curls. Around the time I got to a double bodyweight deadlift triple, I was able to squat the bar without pain, but still didn't program squats. For the next 6-8 weeks I did split squats and step ups on monday and continued with leg curls on thursdays. Afterwards, I was able to start squatting pain-free.

Once I started squatting again, I would work up to a reasonably heavy set of 5 on front squats at a 4010 tempo on mondays and on thursdays I would do doubles for 15-30 minutes with whatever weight I did for 5 on monday. This was a way for me to get a lot of volume done while lifting heavy. Eventually I was able to start doing the olympic lifts again, so I started programming them in slowly.

For a timeframe, I started squatting again about 12 months ago now, and I still have a huge bias towards strengthening the hamstrings as knee flexors (leg curls and glute ham raises). The trick for me is eccentric knee flexion strength. The stronger I get there, the better my hip feels and the more I lift in training. As a Poliquin trained coach, I've been taught the following ratio for knee flexion strength in comparison to an olympic squat:

Squat in kilos = 1.5x leg curl in pounds (ex 100kg squat for 5 = 150lbs leg curl for 5, both with 4 second eccentrics)

Post Thanks / Like
    Kept pulling a muscle in my low back and I have spent the last 8 or so months almost exclusively fixing my posture and my squat form (glute activation, core strength, for which I have some awesome exercises I've been taught, and upright posture). I'm finally getting to the point where I'm squatting/front squatting over 95% of my lifetime PR, form MASSIVELY improved, and drastically reduced pain and frequency of injury. I'm hoping to actually make some real progress in 2015 now that I've spent a good amount of time fixing my imbalances. My seated posture has drastically improved as well and back pain from just normal life is almost non-existent now.

That wasn't a serious injury, just repetitive, but I did have shoulder surgery in high school from tearing the capsule a bit due to overly tight pec, pec minor, anterior delt, etc from too much bench press, next to no mobility work, and inhibition of some of my upper back muscles, coupled with the collisions you get playing/practicing football. Pull ups, Snatch Press, face pull, and external rotations with a cable machine have been the most effective for rehabbing and strengthening my shoulders. The next most important thing has been soft tissue work with a lacrosse ball. These days, my shoulders feel pretty good and it's rare that I get any specific pains.

Post Thanks / Like
    4 months ago I had surgery in my left shoulder to repair a 1.2cm hole in my supraspinatus tendon. Prior to that, I was unable to make any gains in my lifts. I've just finished physical therapy as of today, and am looking to start slowly easing myself into lifting again.

The surgery itself was a huge success, and my mobility is all but fully returned. Strength, however, is lacking, and I'm unsure what direction my training will go in. I need structured programming, and a dedicated coach willing to work through my injury with me. The search begins.

Post Thanks / Like
    medial meniscus tear in right knee (no surgery, symptom free)
    Lateral meniscus tear in left knee (PRP injection, has relieved most symptoms)
    bilateral hip impingement (congenital defect)
    mild tendonosis of the supraspinatus tendon in my right shoulder.
    bilateral tendonosis of the quad tendon.

So with the hip impingement: I had surgery to correct the structural issue (head of femur and acetabulum were malformed, and thus greatly limited my range of motion in my left hip). That was 7 months ago. The surgery also repaired some damage to my acetabular labrum caused by the grinding of my femur and acetabulum. I had 4months of physical therapy and was cleared to begin lifting at 3months post op. I've been lifting since. at 6months post op I had xrays and an MRI which showed good results and a hip which almost resembles a completely normal hip structure. It still get tight when i lift too heavy or catch a snatch or clean funny. So I regularly do hip distraction with a band and lots of rolling on a lacrosse ball.

quad tendonosis: Actually, this was 10 months of hell that got resolved through finally just resting (and 100% resolved through a cortisone injection). I recommend that anyone who has any lingering tendon pain stop stressing it immediately and give it a break for 3 weeks. If it comes back, get a cortisone injection and do some rehab. if it comes back again, get PRP. PRP cleared mine up (which i got it again just recently after coming back from surgery) in about 24hrs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bofhgirl View Post
    4 months ago I had surgery in my left shoulder to repair a 1.2cm hole in my supraspinatus tendon. Prior to that, I was unable to make any gains in my lifts. I've just finished physical therapy as of today, and am looking to start slowly easing myself into lifting again.

The surgery itself was a huge success, and my mobility is all but fully returned. Strength, however, is lacking, and I'm unsure what direction my training will go in. I need structured programming, and a dedicated coach willing to work through my injury with me. The search begins.
    Shoot me a p.m. I just helped a woman avoid shoulder surgery thru training

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FFF View Post
    Shoot me a p.m. I just helped a woman avoid shoulder surgery thru training
    Sent you a message. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    damn, i was literally going to make this thread today. I will spent most of my time here

Post Thanks / Like
    What and How-

Shoulder injury- Supraspinatus tendon and torn postero-inferior labrum ??

What did you do -

Still rehabbing,electrotherapy/massage/ice,inflammation almost gone but shoulder with crepitus/instability

What changed about your training-

Can't snatch,jerk,bench press..