Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to get twice as much value from hookgrip's Russian Knee Wraps

Post Thanks / Like

How to get twice as much value from hookgrip's Russian Knee Wraps

I ordered a set of the Hookgrip Russian Knee Wraps and they arrived yesterday. The first thing I noticed, which I was warned about, was that they are long. Like 12 feet long. So I decided to cut them in half and make a second pair.

So one end has velcro on it. When I cut them in half, the first thing to do was to hem the end of the halves with the velcro on it so they didn't come apart. This took a simple stitch. I made two rows of stitching to keep it in place.

Then, I went to work on the other halves. I folded in each corner, and laid a piece of the hook side of velcro over it. I got the velcro for a few bucks from Michael's.

I sewed across the folds and the velcro a total of 5 times. I think they only stitched across 4 times in the manufacturing process, but I wanted to make sure these stay put. Again, simple stitch across will do.

After that, I put the soft side of the velcro on the wrap itself, roughly in the same position it is on the original wrap. I sewed around the soft velcro twice.

After that, the machine part of the sewing was done. I just had to clean up the ends that were sticking out. I took a hand sewing needle and wove each thread in-between the folds of fabric, or between the fabric and the velcro. All in all it took me about an hour or two to finish. And I now have two pairs of knee wraps that are a much saner length, for the price of one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome, can't tell you the last time I've seen a sewing machine in person.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice guide!

Really jwm? Thats bizarre.

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome! This is fantastic. I will probably link to this soon. The reasons we get them in such long lengths is basically as follows:

1. It's not too difficult to cut them wherever you'd like to and then sew up the end (which you don't need a sewing machine for). Obviously adding velcro is another level but if you plan on cutting them in half, that is a good idea too. This makes them very customizable to fit everyone from 48 to 105+.
    2. Exporting from Russia to the US is a pain in the butt and if we carried 3-4 sizes of them we'd have a much harder time keeping things in stock. Plus people would order the wrong size, there would be returns/exchanges, etc. This way everyone has something that will work for them with a few minutes of work.
    3. They were basically the same price. If half length was half price, we would have gotten some of those. But they were all basically the same so there was no incentive to get shorter.

Glad you were able to do this!

Post Thanks / Like
    Im definitely doing this with my pair

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hookgrip View Post
    Awesome! This is fantastic. I will probably link to this soon. The reasons we get them in such long lengths is basically as follows:

1. It's not too difficult to cut them wherever you'd like to and then sew up the end (which you don't need a sewing machine for). Obviously adding velcro is another level but if you plan on cutting them in half, that is a good idea too. This makes them very customizable to fit everyone from 48 to 105+.
    2. Exporting from Russia to the US is a pain in the butt and if we carried 3-4 sizes of them we'd have a much harder time keeping things in stock. Plus people would order the wrong size, there would be returns/exchanges, etc. This way everyone has something that will work for them with a few minutes of work.
    3. They were basically the same price. If half length was half price, we would have gotten some of those. But they were all basically the same so there was no incentive to get shorter.

Glad you were able to do this!
    Thanks for the comments!! You definitely can hand sew every part of this together, and if you weren't too fussed about the velcro you could just sew up the ends by hand in no time.

I also thought of another option - that if you wanted the knee wraps a bit longer, you could use the shorter leftover bit for wrist wraps. The material works just as well on your wrists.

Post Thanks / Like
    FYI - I used these last night for the first time. Absolutely love them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bofhgirl View Post
    FYI - I used these last night for the first time. Absolutely love them.
    Awesome, glad you like them!

Post Thanks / Like
    My wife sewed mine this past weekend and I've used them a few times so far. I really like them, the length is perfect

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by daggon88 View Post
    My wife sewed mine this past weekend and I've used them a few times so far. I really like them, the length is perfect
    sweet!