Likes Likes:  60
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
Page 98 of 98 FirstFirst ... 4888969798

Thread: Jon North thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BuSIp56H...=1faazrfkitnwb

Now 33, he returned to USAW yesterday with a 141 / 159 effort at 89kgs to qualify for Nationals. He’s working full time at this stage so things are a bit different than they used to be. Comp lifts in and around his recent training bests, on the off chance anyone cares at this stage!
    It is nice to see him coming back, especially after a major health problem. He's definitely not going to win much in the way of national medals (or have an Olympics slot), but I'd hope he talks about his journey more as a cautionary tale than anything else.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's cool to see Jon back but he'd have to beat Cantrell whose numbers are right around Jon's best at 94. Or even Downey or Blackwell for that matter.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think it’s highly unlikely he could win at nationals this year. I think he has a good shot at a 320kgs total if he can train consistently and stay injury free based on his instagram content over the last year. 150 / 170 certainly realistic.

But I’m delighted he’s back competing. He looks great, family seems to be doing well and he seems to have found a career that works for him. All positive vibes. Lifting on an A platform at nationals and maybe grabbing a medal in the snatch would be a nice end to the story that is this thread!

Post Thanks / Like
    I think it’s highly unlikely he could win at nationals this year. I think he has a good shot at a 320kgs total if he can train consistently and stay injury free based on his instagram content over the last year. 150 / 170 certainly realistic.

But I’m delighted he’s back competing. He looks great, family seems to be doing well and he seems to have found a career that works for him. All positive vibes. Lifting on an A platform at nationals and maybe grabbing a medal in the snatch would be a nice end to the story that is this thread!
    What's his career?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FFF View Post
    What's his career?
    Sales manager/recruiter of some sort. He talked about it on his podcast a while back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bauernetics View Post
    Sales manager/recruiter of some sort. He talked about it on his podcast a while back.
    . . . he's off to "run the Denver office". . . or so seems the story one can loosely piece together from his Instagram posts and his new podcast (Red Circle Radio -- hey, don't hate me, irritating can be damn entertaining; and I need something entertaining, simple, and largely non-cerebral to listen to on long drives). Perhaps some troll can go apply for an entry-level telemarketer job in the Denver office and we can see some video of Jon running it like an old-school, North training session: "ahhhhh. . . .GET TO DIALING, DEALING and SLAMMING THOSE PHONES!! SHANKLE!!!". It'll be like the Wolf of Wall Street for telemarketing/tele-recruiting, but on youtube and in real-life: I don't know if there will be any midget-throwing or cocaine (Jon's religious predilections and his drug/heart history may eliminate those possibilities), but there will be plenty of Bang (sorry, just the energy drink, not "banging") and shit will be slammed, be it phones, bars, or desks. There will be a lead character (protagonist) with a greased-back cut and maybe, instead of Jonah Hill, we'll get an oversize appearance by his red-white & jacked podcast co-host Russell Jordan.

Anyway, between his posts and his old & new podcasts, it seems like he's been through quite a bit over the past 3 or so years. I'd like to think that, despite some not-so-popular perspectives (on WL, training, and socio-political goings-on), he's actually graduated to adulthood. . . just in time to hold on to that new 89-total for 1-2 years and take it to Master's Worlds for a shot at a 35-39 podium finish.
    Last edited by mb_here; 02-28-2019 at 10:54 AM.

7. Likes Hawkpeter, Blairbob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Prediction, Jon North World Masters Games 2021 in Kansai, Japan. Its not Tokyo 2020, but its the next closest thing, and that competition only happens every 4 years.

9. Likes Blairbob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    ^^ yep mentioned that to a buddy. he could wipe up as a 39yo 89. Burns would have as a 96. Bonnick should just for the hell of it.

Post Thanks / Like
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BuSIp56H...=1faazrfkitnwb

Now 33, he returned to USAW yesterday with a 141 / 159 effort at 89kgs to qualify for Nationals. He’s working full time at this stage so things are a bit different than they used to be. Comp lifts in and around his recent training bests, on the off chance anyone cares at this stage!
    i don't wanna dig too deep so i wonder if anyone can tell me what he does for a living now?

nevermind--read above.
    Last edited by thatmoutain; 03-02-2019 at 12:24 AM.