Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 58 of 58 FirstFirst ... 848565758

Thread: The LSUS Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Derksen View Post
    Questions for all ya'll Kyle pierce fans up in here.

Tl;dr: help me plan my competition year when I don't have perfect 15 week blocks between competitions.

I started LSUS this last week. It's a really minimal version, I honestly do 2 or 3 movements per day instead of 5 or 6. I can go over that another time if anyone's interested. I found twice a week in the gym wasn't happening because twice a week is not a routine so I often wouldn't make it the second day. So instead of 2 1.5-2 hour sessions I'm doing 5 30-40 min sessions and so far it's been awesome. Much easier to get in the gym for a short workout and the frequency keeps interest high and helps it feel routine.

Anyways, my question is regarding competition timing and working out a plan for peaking and all that. Here are the next 3 competitions in my province:

Oct 1: open championships
    Nov 26: jr and sr provincials
    Feb 12: some French festival competition

I would like to do all 3, but I could just do 2 if it makes me better prepared. I really want to do the November 26 one because last year I was the provincial champ in my weight class and I want to repeat. LSUS is a 16 week program fully run through. If I take all 3 peak weeks and fit in one deload week I can peak for the October one. Then I take a week off and I have 7 weeks until November 26. So I could get two 3 week cycles and one deload week. Then I take a deload week and I have 11 weeks until feb 12. So I could get in 3 three week cycles and two peaking weeks if I don't deload at all. My question is what I should do during those cycles. Do I run 3's and peak again right away for November? Do I run 5's then 3's then compete without peaking? For the last one I can run 10/5/3 and then just shorten the peaking cycle to two weeks. But then I get no deloads. I may not need them however because I'm doing a very minimalist style of the program. But if I need one it's better to take one then burn out.

What do you guys think? I've never had to actually plan my competition year before because I've always ran programs where I'm 3 weeks away from competing. I am however an intermediate now and after running juggernaut I really bought into periodization and proper planning. LSUS is so similar in style it was an easy choice to just jump on one of the best overall weightlifting programs imo. I'm excited to see where it takes me, just need to figure out the planning part and I want your guys input on that.
    We used to try to "peak" for every competition but now I just train through and peak for the important ones. If all 3 of these are important to you that might be difficult to adjust to. I'd just say train through the comps you don't care about or aren't as important and focus on 1 major competition. You can deload the week of the other comps but just continue on with your training as is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Train through the first, peak for the last 2. Hell, since you only train maybe 4hrs a week, you might be able to go decently big on the first and bigger on the 2nd and definitely the 3rd.

BCrawford plan is pretty decent. 8's sound just as bad as 10's but it works.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just in case y'all are all thinkin to yourselves, 'self, no big deal I'll just take a few weeks to a month and a half off. Ya I'll be a bit behind but it comes back quick no big I'll just be lazy.'

Don't. Lies. Damn lies.

On week 3 of 10's right now. Today I struggled with 125x10. Ya in the past I've done 125x20. My best set of 10 is at 155 cause why not. Just before I took the break leading up to starting LSUS I was doing a 10's phase on juggernauts program and my last week I hit 125x18. So it's not like my best numbers are way past in another era of my life. Breaks longer than 2 weeks except for injury rehab purposes just aren't a good idea me thinks. I should have kept squatting at least once a week to keep some strength.

Post Thanks / Like
    I can't backsquat at the moment, haven't done any for 5 weeks, knee doesn't like it at all (but it's really because of my calf). I'm scared of going back to LSUS...
    charge a needle through the eye of a punching rhino - Donny Shankle

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone added a phase of 8's to this? I'm in week two of 10's and considering it as I could use the volume right now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmm...my concern would be that it's not a different enough stimulus from the 10s. I mean, I use sets of 8 with athletes all the time, just never in a linear periodization when we were doing 10s previously.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dholtsberry View Post
    Anyone added a phase of 8's to this? I'm in week two of 10's and considering it as I could use the volume right now.
    Check out my ideas on the previous page.

http://wlforums.com/forums/showthrea...ll=1#post56030

It would go 10-8-5-3, which is basically the Juggernaut Method.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BCrawford View Post
    Check out my ideas on the previous page.

http://wlforums.com/forums/showthrea...ll=1#post56030

It would go 10-8-5-3, which is basically the Juggernaut Method.
    Does the juggernaut method follow more of an LSUS style with 10rm and then drop sets or is it similar to the Texas method where you do reps on mon/wed with bs/fs and then 10rm on Saturday? My body just can't handle the sets of 10 with stop sets anymore without feeling completely overtained. I've tried the Texas method before and loved the rep scheme but I also like the deadlift movements and the pressing that's included in LSUS. I need a combo of the two.

Post Thanks / Like
    Juggernaut is % based off a training max just like 531. The classic method is doing 5x10, 3x10, then 10+ in the 3 weeks respectively going for a amrap set on the last set each week. Intensity increases as volume decreases.

LSUS is a training style that needs to be worked up to over the long term, most people cannot handle constantly hitting new RM's every week while doing in total 6-10 drop sets based on the new RM. in this case rather than volume decreasing to compensate for increased intensity volume and intensity increase every week due to increased load. It's really really hard on most people to increase both at the same time. Often if you want to increase volume then intensity should stay the same.

I would propose for the average person especially during the first few times through to not hit a new 10RM or whatever every week, but to have a training max you base your training off and go 65,70,75% for the 10RM each week. Or if you have a current 10RM then every cycle start below that, then hit it 2nd week, then set a new one week 3 with a slight drop in volume every week. Or you could keep load the same and build volume up over the 3 weeks so the last week you do the full amount of sets of you want a more hypertrophy bent to it.

In any case, for people new to the program there needs to be some control to keep most trainees from going hog wild with RM's.

Post Thanks / Like
    Does juggernaut incorporate pulls, deadlifts, or olympic lifts as well or just the squatting?

In doing LSUS I've always ensured to have my 10rm, 5rm etc be a hard but doable set. I don't grind out reps and the last 1 or 2 are usually hard but doable.