Likes Likes:  485
Dislikes Dislikes:  10
Page 319 of 322 FirstFirst ... 219269309317318319320321 ... LastLast
Results 3,181 to 3,190 of 3217

Thread: The Sanctions Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Forgive my ignorance but does anyone know what the reference to the UK case referred to at point 46
    maybe some kind of asthma meds or adhd meds?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wigan View Post
    An interesting read for sure. Forgive my ignorance but does anyone know what the reference to the UK case referred to at point 46 (below) is all about??

The fact that the FRH or Romania never practiced a sponsored doping activity
    such as Russia’s and was also never involved in “a program regarding the use
    of a grey area substance as is the case concerning United Kingdom that starts
    to take shape”
    I can only speculate. But 'grey area substance' usually refers to medicines which have a legitimate medical use but also create 'helpful' side effects.

Meldonium used to be widely prescribed and used (though it has now been added to the WADA prohibited list). Another example is levothyroxine which is commonly prescribed for thyroid problems but can be used to manipulate metabolic activity (which makes it useful for controlling body weight). Then there's methylphenidate which is prescribed for ADHD conditions but is known to boost endurance and stamina.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleddau View Post
    I can only speculate. But 'grey area substance' usually refers to medicines which have a legitimate medical use but also create 'helpful' side effects.

Meldonium used to be widely prescribed and used (though it has now been added to the WADA prohibited list). Another example is levothyroxine which is commonly prescribed for thyroid problems but can be used to manipulate metabolic activity (which makes it useful for controlling body weight). Then there's methylphenidate which is prescribed for ADHD conditions but is known to boost endurance and stamina.
    Yeah, I get the 'grey area substance' part it was the reference to the United Kingdom I didn't understand; wondered whether anyone knew of the "case concerning the UK" specifically they were referencing.

Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn't put too much thought into it as they engage in pure what-aboutism. I doubt they read more than a headline about a British cyclist or Mo Farah.

---
    What's interesting to me: it seems like the banned team of 4 from London 2012 didn't try to challenge their ADRVs at all, they appear to have not even responded. From the timeline it's clear the federation itself went into deny/delay mode quickly. So, did they unintentionally speed up the process by not requesting hearings for the IOC re-tests? Maybe.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is a big one:

Tamas Ajan, Nicu Vlad and Hassan Akkus (EWF President) charged with ADRV.

And LOTS of updates...

https://ita.sport/news/the-ita-concl...iwf-officials/

https://ita.sport/uploads/2021/06/IT...ort-on-IWF.pdf

edit: there's so much

17 Turkish ADRVs from 2012 were tampered with/swept aside but will now have consequences for the federation as they were actually IWF tests
    Roxana Cocos ROU had two open ADRVs when she was allowed to compete at London 2012
    Thailand had 93 (!!!) internal positives for steroids in 2011-2012
    Nijat Rahimov provided fake/clean urine 3 times before Rio 2016: March, June and July!
    Last edited by erpel; 06-24-2021 at 03:45 AM.

6. Likes Hawkpeter, Blairbob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is how the sausage was made - we all knew that the corruption had to be like this, but when you see the details its still shocking.

I have no idea on where to start in terms of sanctioning this but some life time bans surely are warranted. Thank goodness this came out and was published before Tokyo and before the Congress.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    You'd have to think that Russia would be looking that this and expecting some Federations to face the kind of repercussions they have.

Post Thanks / Like
    You have to wonder what the end game for the Azeri debacle was.

Unlike the Turkish cases the intention seems to have not been to disappear the positives forever. They were delayed for half a year, some of the Azeri lifters won medals at the WWC. So far, so bad. But then a few months later all of them were banned anyway and the results were deleted.

It seems clear that Ajan and the AWF President were friends (or maybe "business partners") and the collusion happened there. But Ajan told them WADA was on his ass, he couldn't delay these cases forever and they had to come up with a satisfying solution to all parties.

It just seems so... pointless?
    2013 is the year of Azeri weightlifting! Yeah! We're great!
    Oh wait, all of this was for naught.

And it's not really akin to say Kazakhstan were this unraveled many years later, it was almost immediately after the 2013 WWC.

Confounding and to me just dumb.
    Last edited by erpel; 06-25-2021 at 05:04 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Blairbob View Post
    The document is written in such a great, dry tone. The note to the Thailand cases says the names are in Thai (script?) and the ITA doesn't really know who any of these people are. Sorry, but that's funny!

93 sounds comical at first and people embellish and nations want to be the greatest, but this is doping so why would you provide such documentation if it wasn't authentic? Of course you wouldn't.