Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 123 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2016 Olympics Discussion Thread (Rio de Janeiro 6th-16th August)

Post Thanks / Like

The 2016 Olympics Discussion Thread (Rio de Janeiro 6th-16th August)

Not long until the games now so I thought it might be a good time to set up a thread for discussing the build up and the games themselves. Despite the unfortunate retesting scandal and the possible suspension of Kaz, Rus and Blr I am still looking forward to this. Hopefully we see some tight and competitive classes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Stage

Post Thanks / Like
    This is very reminiscent of London when Klokov, Akkaev, and Aramnau all pulled out last minute. Definitely takes some wind out of the excitement sails.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FFF View Post
    This is very reminiscent of London when Klokov, Akkaev, and Aramnau all pulled out last minute. Definitely takes some wind out of the excitement sails.
    At least we have a month to get over it this time rather than a few days. I remember the disappointment of 2012 well.

At least Nurudinov is still likely to turn up and with a bit of luck maybe Russia will still be eligible participate.

Post Thanks / Like
    I wasn't into weightlifting in 2012, but I feel the same way. I was looking forward to seeing Ilya lift and probably set another WR, even though I knew he was gassed out of his mind the whole time. Did not really care about that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chunk1717 View Post
    I wasn't into weightlifting in 2012, but I feel the same way. I was looking forward to seeing Ilya lift and probably set another WR, even though I knew he was gassed out of his mind the whole time. Did not really care about that.
    I don't think Ilya would've been in a position to like WR's in Rio due to the improved drug testing anyway. I think this is why he choose to lift in the President's Cup in Grozny at the end of 2015 and set them there instead. I have a feeling none of the Kazakh athletes were tested at that event. Although I may be delving into tinfoil hat territory saying that.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm ok with Ilyin being a "casualty" if it means no more Podobedova and Kostova.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DylanJM View Post
    I don't think Ilya would've been in a position to like WR's in Rio due to the improved drug testing anyway. I think this is why he choose to lift in the President's Cup in Grozny at the end of 2015 and set them there instead. I have a feeling none of the Kazakh athletes were tested at that event. Although I may be delving into tinfoil hat territory saying that.
    It's not tinfoil hatting when the President's Cup has always been known to be a free-for-all with regards to PEDs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cormac View Post
    It's not tinfoil hatting when the President's Cup has always been known to be a free-for-all with regards to PEDs.
    as have been all the other IWF grand prix over the years!

I don't think the drug testing has killed my interest, in fact its probably increased it as its a touch more open with less obvious favourites. I will have a harder time getting a good bet accummulator down but I shall try!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CNL View Post
    as have been all the other IWF grand prix over the years!

I don't think the drug testing has killed my interest, in fact its probably increased it as its a touch more open with less obvious favourites. I will have a harder time getting a good bet accummulator down but I shall try!
    Well put, and I agree in principle: if it was a dealbreaker to us that lifters are on gear we wouldn't be able to watch the sport and cheer on lifters. It's sort of a self-selection bias inherent to being a WL fan that we have tolerance for the current state of Weightlifting.