Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mr. Weightlifting: Norbert Schemansky by Richard Bak

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you so much for doing the leg work on this, I'll definitely plug my way through this book! Many thanks to Rick as well!

Totally random aside, but when you mentioned how Norb had a long career without using advanced training or recovery methods that are common today it made me laugh. I recently started watching an anime called one punch man. It's a hilarious parody of anime in general. In the show many of the supporting characters are trying to augment or evolve in any way possible to be more powerful. The main character just does a simple workout daily that is laughable. That and a few other lifestyle choices to harden himself up allows him to be able to kill anyone with one punch. He gives away his 'secret' freely and no one ever believes him. I find it a hilarious satire of the world we live in; even regarding our little bubble of weightlifting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you FFF for preserving weightlifting history.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Derksen View Post
    Thank you so much for doing the leg work on this, I'll definitely plug my way through this book! Many thanks to Rick as well!

Totally random aside, but when you mentioned how Norb had a long career without using advanced training or recovery methods that are common today it made me laugh. I recently started watching an anime called one punch man. It's a hilarious parody of anime in general. In the show many of the supporting characters are trying to augment or evolve in any way possible to be more powerful. The main character just does a simple workout daily that is laughable. That and a few other lifestyle choices to harden himself up allows him to be able to kill anyone with one punch. He gives away his 'secret' freely and no one ever believes him. I find it a hilarious satire of the world we live in; even regarding our little bubble of weightlifting.
    This actually sounds amazing. Will check out.

I'm glad people are taking advantage of this manuscript being put out on the web, and I hope people do check out Rick's other works as well. He mentioned a WWII piece he's currently working on , so I'm really looking forward to that one when it comes out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you, Tony. I became a fan of Schemansky when reading Tommy Kono's stories featuring him.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FFF View Post
    This actually sounds amazing. Will check out.

I'm glad people are taking advantage of this manuscript being put out on the web, and I hope people do check out Rick's other works as well. He mentioned a WWII piece he's currently working on , so I'm really looking forward to that one when it comes out.
    I actually read his Ty Cobb book in grade school, I think.

Post Thanks / Like
    Been on vacation in Mexico for the last week and this has been a solid read. Definitely interesting to see how the old time greats did things back in the day. I'm a sucker for biographies too so this was perfect vacation reading. Can't wait to get home tomorrow and hit the iron and hopefully some PR's! (I think I'm a 105 now after this vacation lol)

Post Thanks / Like
    How do I become a "member?" I can't find the member's only section. Strong first post I know. Love the forum just don't have much to add.

Post Thanks / Like
    One of my best memories was lifting in a local meet with the Schemansky. It was in 1967 or 1968. Larry Hanneman was the meet organizer and he had invited both Bill Starr and Norbert Schemansky. Both came, staying with Larry at his house. These were the days when a warm-up room had only one or two platforms. What I remember is how he began his warm-ups when the lesser weightlifters began their warm-ups and made minimal jumps between warm-ups. I don't know how many warm-ups he took, but it had to be triple the number the better weightlifters took. He also had a slight injury to his triceps and I remember a doctor suggesting that he do some curls regularly to balance his triceps strength.

Everyone watched Schemansky's lifts. He was on the downside of his career and slightly injured. When he did his snatches and cleans, his split was not as deep as it had previously been. Schemansky didn't do his best, but we were all impressed with what he did anyway.

The meet itself wasn't the highlight. The highlight came the night of the meet. Several lifters gathered in Larry's basement to share a brew and socialize with each other, but mostly with Schemansky. Chairs were set up theater style with Schemansky on stage. With a good supply of Budweiser Schemansky held court. Story after story came out. He was in his element and enjoying every minute. His audience remained quiet, laughing in all the right places. I think the performance broke up at something like 3 AM. It was wonderful. Everyone in that basement regarded Schemansky as a hero after that night.

Just after I got married in 1968, my wife wanted a cat. I was opposed, but we wound up with the cat anyway. I got to name the cat. The cat turned out to be a great cat. I named him Norbert Schemansky.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by celicaxx View Post
    I actually read his Ty Cobb book in grade school, I think.
    ha that's kind of funny. Small world.

Quote Originally Posted by MPhelps View Post
    How do I become a "member?" I can't find the member's only section. Strong first post I know. Love the forum just don't have much to add.
    You just did my bro.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Echternacht View Post
    One of my best memories was lifting in a local meet with the Schemansky.
    Damn. I'm mad jealous, Gary. Wish I had the chance to meet the man.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FFF View Post

You just did my bro.
    Thanks FFF!