Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 31

Thread: Realistic yet ambitious goal for a 40-year old weightlifter?

  1. #1
    Member Bee_Brian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    70
    Post Thanks / Like

    Realistic yet ambitious goal for a 40-year old weightlifter?

    What is a realistic but ambitious goal for a 40-year old NATURAL weightlifter?



    I'm 25 years old and I feel much wiser than I was when I was 19. But I don't feel any stronger. I've temporarily quit the gym because my low-calorie weight-loss diet just isn't compatible with my goal. So I resorted to high-rep kettlebell stuff. I know, I know. But enough about that...

    Here's the situation...

    I have all the time in the world to train. I have the ambition and the wisdom to reach my fullest potential. Assuming that EVERYTHING goes right and I don't suffer any debilitating injuries, what would be an impressive but realistic goal for me AT AGE 40?

    Here are my historical stats...

    Clean and Jerk, Age 19, bodyweight 190 pounds = 205 pounds

    Squat, Age 25, bodyweight 230 pounds = 405 pounds

    Front Squat, Age 19, bodyweight 190 pounds = 315 pounds

    I'm 5-feet 6-inches tall. Currently weighing in at 215 pounds at a weight-loss phase. I have no plans of stopping my weight-loss phase until I hit 180 pounds. And when that happens, I'm willing to go up to 200 pounds MAX. Even if I can be stronger at a heavier weight, I simply won't go up above 200, mainly because I'm genetically predisposed to high-cholesterol and heart attacks. It's in my family's history and it has been confirmed by my doctor. I'm 25 years old as of this post.

    What would a realistic yet ambitious snatch weight be?

    What would a realistic yet ambitious jerk weight be?

    Thank you.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    30
    Post Thanks / Like
    You're only 25 why set a goal for 40 chances are you'll be weaker then than you are now

  3. #3
    Member Bee_Brian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    70
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by renlok View Post
    You're only 25 why set a goal for 40 chances are you'll be weaker then than you are now
    Sorry if this sounds rude.

    I did not post this thread to have my judgement criticized. I posted this thread with a specific question for a specific answer.

    Please stay on topic.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    119
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, if you look up recent results from the Masters World Championships for the M40 age group, it looks like a 255 kg total would put you top 5 in the world most years in the 85kg (187lb) class or even the 94kg (207lb) class. That would be a 115kg (253lb) snatch and 140kg (308lb) clean & jerk. Sounds pretty ambitious yet realistic to me unless you are terribly unathletic or physically unable to perform the lifts properly.
    Last edited by Edmund; 04-22-2017 at 10:53 AM.

  5. #5
    Member Bee_Brian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    70
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmund View Post
    Well, if you look up recent results from the Masters World Championships for the M40 age group, it looks like a 255 kg total would put you top 5 in the world most years in the 85kg (187lb) class or even the 94kg (207lb) class. That would be a 115kg (253lb) snatch and 140kg (308lb) clean & jerk. Sounds pretty ambitious yet realistic to me unless you are terribly unathletic or physically unable to perform the lifts properly.
    Those numbers seem really low even for a man in his 40s...

    I was thinking, and please correct me if I'm wrong, that if I had a 500-pound squat and had excellent technique and sufficient upper-body strength, I'd be able to snatch at least 315 pounds.

    A 500 squat is VERY achievable for me. My squat went from 335 to 405 in less than 3 months. I estimate a 500 squat would only take 5 total years tops...

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    119
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, the world records for a 40 year old 94kg lifter are a 138 (304lb) snatch, a 171 (376lb) clean & jerk, and a 309 (680lb) total. Sounds like these should be easy for you! We'll look for your name in the record book in 15 years!

  7. #7
    Member Bee_Brian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    70
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmund View Post
    Well, the world records for a 40 year old 94kg lifter are a 138 (304lb) snatch, a 171 (376lb) clean & jerk, and a 309 (680lb) total. Sounds like these should be easy for you! We'll look for your name in the record book in 15 years!
    lol. No way man. I must be missing out on something...

    I can't really fathom myself breaking any world records. My mind can't comprehend it. At least not yet.

    There's something wrong with my logic, it seems.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    136
    Post Thanks / Like
    Progress isn't always linear like that. And doing it at 180 will be harder than 200. I'm 32 and 180-190. I started dedicated strength training instead of crossfitting at 28. BS 395, FS 355, DL 415. (180, 162, 188)

    I'm still able to add strength and PRs on those numbers with dedicated training. I suspect I have higher than average potential that I didn't fully exploit in my younger years.

    Your late age potential is dependent on how high your early age potential was and what your athletic background was. One thing working for you is that as you go up weight classes, athletes tend to peak later. Especially doing it naturally, it takes a long time to add a large amount of strength.

    I'm a fan of the Russian program and it usually takes me 8 weeks to add 7%. But I'm not sure how sustainable that is to do back to back. I did nearly 3x in a row once and my squat went from 300 to 380.

    500 is what some elite American 85s squat. If you can do that at 180 you'd be special. Angelo has done 245kg (540) as a 77

    My goals 400 FS 500 DL and 300lb clean and jerk in the next couple of years. I don't BS anymore due to injury. Getting hurt will be your biggest impediment to making straight line projections of what your strength should be. Good luck

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    136
    Post Thanks / Like
    There are some older elite Americans. Colin burns, Jason starks.

    If some of the current crop sticks with it I'd think those masters records go up.

  10. #10
    Member Bee_Brian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    70
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogie roll View Post
    Progress isn't always linear like that. And doing it at 180 will be harder than 200. I'm 32 and 180-190. I started dedicated strength training instead of crossfitting at 28. BS 395, FS 355, DL 415. (180, 162, 188)

    I'm still able to add strength and PRs on those numbers with dedicated training. I suspect I have higher than average potential that I didn't fully exploit in my younger years.

    Your late age potential is dependent on how high your early age potential was and what your athletic background was. One thing working for you is that as you go up weight classes, athletes tend to peak later. Especially doing it naturally, it takes a long time to add a large amount of strength.

    I'm a fan of the Russian program and it usually takes me 8 weeks to add 7%. But I'm not sure how sustainable that is to do back to back. I did nearly 3x in a row once and my squat went from 300 to 380.

    500 is what some elite American 85s squat. If you can do that at 180 you'd be special. Angelo has done 245kg (540) as a 77

    My goals 400 FS 500 DL and 300lb clean and jerk in the next couple of years. I don't BS anymore due to injury. Getting hurt will be your biggest impediment to making straight line projections of what your strength should be. Good luck
    Thank you for the insight.

    I think I'll hit a 500 squat in about 3 years of consistent training. Like I said, I have all the time in the world.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •