Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 49

Thread: LSUS 10-5-3 Program by Dr Kyle Pierce

  1. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    169
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FFF View Post
    That was intentional. IMO there is too much heavy deadlifting in this program, so that's a way to limit it.
    Good call. On week 1 and I definitely felt like I could go way heavier but limiting it sounds smarter. They felt crisp and fast this way, perfect positions.

  2. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    178
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FFF View Post
    That was intentional. IMO there is too much heavy deadlifting in this program, so that's a way to limit it.
    This is exactly what should be done. Especially in 10's. You are supposed to work up to 10RM snatch grip deadlift, then thursday do clean grip 3-5x10 at 90% of your 10RM snatch deadlift.

  3. #23
    AKA Tony Arkitect FFF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    4,166
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Hutchinson View Post
    This is exactly what should be done. Especially in 10's. You are supposed to work up to 10RM snatch grip deadlift, then thursday do clean grip 3-5x10 at 90% of your 10RM snatch deadlift.
    Glad I got it right then!

  4. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Bethesda MD
    Posts
    13
    Post Thanks / Like
    Does anyone have advice for a 56yr old master following this program?
    I’m finding the 10’s brutal. To be fair it’s been a long time since I’ve done any high rep work so this is to be expected. Still… I’m beginning to wonder if I’ve bitten off more than I can chew.
    My adjustments to make this somewhat feasible are:
    -Adjust the 5x/wk program into a longer period (day1-2, rest, day 3-4, rest, day5, rest. Then repeat).
    -Drop the lunges and pull-up and change the military press to two sets of moderate DB pressing.
    I’m in the second wk on day 3 and worn out and waiting/hoping to acclimate.
    Also one issue I have spreading the program out is I end up squatting less than 3x per wk.
    Any thoughts to help my LSUS 10-5-3 program experiment be a successful one?

  5. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    178
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JMS View Post
    Does anyone have advice for a 56yr old master following this program?
    I’m finding the 10’s brutal. To be fair it’s been a long time since I’ve done any high rep work so this is to be expected. Still… I’m beginning to wonder if I’ve bitten off more than I can chew.
    My adjustments to make this somewhat feasible are:
    -Adjust the 5x/wk program into a longer period (day1-2, rest, day 3-4, rest, day5, rest. Then repeat).
    -Drop the lunges and pull-up and change the military press to two sets of moderate DB pressing.
    I’m in the second wk on day 3 and worn out and waiting/hoping to acclimate.
    Also one issue I have spreading the program out is I end up squatting less than 3x per wk.
    Any thoughts to help my LSUS 10-5-3 program experiment be a successful one?
    I would probably modify this program for sure. Maybe consider condensing it down to your most important lifts and scaling back to maybe 3-4 days a week.

  6. #26
    Member Blairbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    3,413
    Post Thanks / Like
    As a master, use the beginner/intermediate version of 10-5-3-Pierce Sean posted up once long ago. It's 4 days with a day off in between. Of course that means never training the Sn&CJ in the same day.

    Or you would do something like D1, D2, rest, D3, D4, rest, D5, rest, repeat. Which would get really weird and offset. You'd have to have gym access all days of the week for it to work.

    Simple solution without changing the program would be to cutoff some of the backoff sets and exercises. DL one day a week instead of twice, CajunDL/RDL once instead of twice.

  7. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Bethesda MD
    Posts
    13
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Both Sean and Blairbob,
    I like making the DL and RDL a 1x/wk lift and easing the load. Simple and keeps the program largely intact

  8. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    3
    Post Thanks / Like
    is it true Kyle pierce follows the hatch method? Ive heard matt bruce mentioned it and i was wondering how close to the "hatch" method this may be.

  9. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    178
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cjguidry View Post
    is it true Kyle pierce follows the hatch method? Ive heard matt bruce mentioned it and i was wondering how close to the "hatch" method this may be.
    lol no...Kyle's program is based off the research he conducted with Dr. Stone who was his PHD professor. Nothing to do with Gayle Hatch at all.

  10. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    3
    Post Thanks / Like
    I mean i know the history of coach pierce i guess i worded it wrong. I'm curious how similar their programs were. I remember on commissioners of power they were talking about the similarities between the two. I've always wanted to see a sample of the hatch system. Im from the area, so ive always been curious about both programs in BR and Shreveport. To say both coaches didn't use results from each other to refine their program would be surprising. I know a lot of athletes spent time at both.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •