Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Whelp, Paris.

Post Thanks / Like

Whelp, Paris.

This probably demands a new thread.

We're staring down the barrel of a reduction to 5 classes per gender in Paris. My first reaction isn't actually that this sucks - that's my second reaction. My first reaction is that 'we' might have dodged a bullet because I was wary of total exclusion..... and that might still happen. But this announcement does read as communication to the IWF that you can stay in with this penalty if you clean up your act NOW!

Arguably this will lead to another weight class re-shuffle for the 2024 quad - or at least half of it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I do think there is some kind of pussification-accceptance though to all this.
    And the IWF wrote their own death warrant to help the IOC out.

Track and Field is dirty as all hell .... and they "reduce" WL (roid problem; women lifting weights is still considered weird by countries) and Boxing (barbaric combat sport) the most? Yet those two sports have quite the International flair to them, even poor countries do well at times as opposed to figure skating, etc.

lolz at the idea of a macro-reason to reduce overall athlete and sport count because of economic/feasibility reasons when they are trying Breakdancing, Sport Climbing, Skateboarding, etc. Makes no sense.

Fukc the IWF and fuck the IOC.

EDIT: I'd rather have the full wholesale cancellation for a quad...than this fuck-how. % weight classes. If you're a SHW you're probably OK. Just fuck.

I'm afraid this is going to give the wrong idea to the current IWF leadership ... "look guys, we're still in it !!". And they won't make the hard choices to fix the problem. Its a kick the can down the road thing. Nth chance, again.

Imagine being someone like a Martha Rodgers .... hopping all over the fucking place.

And who is to say we even have a Tokyo2021 yet .... better pray to god that vaccine works.
    Last edited by mbasic; 12-07-2020 at 05:11 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    My heart says, IWF and National fed leaders will heed the warning THIS time.... surely.

My head says, 'they' will take a gigantic dump on this and go right back to what they know.

4. Likes Blairbob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Understandable and glad it isn't out of the Olympics.

6. Likes Hawkpeter, Blairbob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't mind the fewer weight classes, but the fewer participating lifters is a bad thing.

My predictions for weight classes are that they'll make it more of a grand prix type format with much larger weight classes. I'd say something like:
    Mens:
    >67, 67-81, 81-96, 96-109, 109+
    Women:
    >49, 49-59, 59-71, 71-81, 81+

A lot of lifters are going to have to make a big weight change. They'll either have to go through some extreme cuts or some extreme bulks.

The IOC can claim that it's because of doping, but let's face it, they've wanted to get rid of strength sports in favor of stupid BS for a long time. Wrestling, weightlifting, fencing, judo, boxing, and any type of tests of strength or skill are always on the chopping block. The Olympics are adding another ridiculous non-sport hobby in break dancing. What a joke. It won't be too long until track and field are removed because they're traditional measures of athleticism.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think it would be easier if they don't create new weight classes and then you dont really have to change the qualification system though obviously some IWF nations hate it. The IOC likes it though.

But something like 61, 73, 89, 102, Supers. The 109s could lean out and most aren't that lean at all. The 81s can put on some mass and most 96s arent that lean either. 61 doesn't abandon all the little guys like making 67 the first class. No 89 means 81s would have to move to 73 which is tough as most 81s are still damn lean. 89 or 96, 102 or 109 are fine by me.

As for the gals, start out 55 which means the 49s could gain some mass or not have to cut so hard. Jump to 64 meaning 59s could either go down or move up. 71 becomes relevant again and insert 81 meaning 76 can beef up or 89s can try to lean out or just go all-in as a super. or just 64 to 76, then 87 and supers. Personally, I'm ok if the scrap 87 and go 81 to supers. That means you probably have to go 49, 59, 71, 81 then supers.

9. Likes Hawkpeter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Eh, they changed the qualification from 2016 to 2020/2021, and with individual qualification I'm not sure it would be that much work to adapt it to different/fewer weight classes.

Then again, I'm not a fan of the current weight classes and the way they drop from 10 to 7 anyways; taking the existing weight classes and now going from 10 to 5 will look like hell no matter which ones you pick. Or we create new weight classes and re-write the record books, ah-gain.

If we were to recreate the weight classes, because I have nothing else to do with my time apparently, I'd put forth something like:
    M - 60, 73, 87, 103, 103+
    W - 50, 57, 65, 74, 74+

I dunno. I am firmly in the camp that institutional change is needed for the long term health of the sport, and that's not going to come unless the IOC either drops weightlifting from 2024 or throws the IWF in the shitter like they did with amateur boxing's governing body.