Likes Likes:  11
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's up Yall

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Tony. Keep the forum please. Thank You

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FFF View Post
    I know it's been a while! How's everyone doing?
    I'm doing. Mostly. Or something. It's been a time this past while.

• Do you still like the forum and want to see it go on?
    I mean, I enjoy the long form discourse when I have time to formulate a proper response (procrastinating work right now to compose this), but it seems this place is pretty dead nowadays, and the interest in the long form discussion just doesn't seem to be there for the most part.

• Do you want to take it over?
    Oh fuck no.

• Am I an asshole?
    I can't rule it out, but you've been pretty civil on here from what I can remember, even when we've disagreed on things.

• What do you think the future holds for Weightlifting itself?
    Pain, lots of pain

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkpeter View Post
    No doubt its tough for any sport when there isn't much active competition going on.
    Even the Super Bowl felt weird this year, and all they really missed was the preseason and the fans in the stands during the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkpeter View Post
    I'm not sure why Reddit has prevailed as the centralized discussion space for so many things, not just sport, but indeed traditional forums have become quieter.
    I've seen Reddit described as social media for people who hate social media. It does seem like it's kind of a midway point between forums like this and things like instagram/facebook/twitter/youtube/etc., except it feels easier to stretch your interests as there seems to be a subreddit for everything (I used to be subscribed to the subreddits for mechanical keyboards, headphones, and fountain pens, as well as one for fans of all three). The Reddit experience can also differ widely depending on which subreddit you're in; plenty of them are full of nothing but memes and shitposting (a number of subs about video games come to mind), while others can actually have some lengthier well-written responses in the comments (the philosophy subreddit comes to mind).

Granted, I'm saying this as someone whose only gilded Reddit post was a one-liner video game reference on a post in r/medicine of a COVID nurse anonymously pouring his/her heart out, but still
    Last edited by TheJonty; 02-10-2021 at 03:32 PM.

3. Likes Hawkpeter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is this the get off my lawn thread? Yes it is.

In general I like discussion forums and dislike social media which is always about self promotion, either of an individual or a business.

However, I understand lack of motivation. I have no strong feelings either way, if it's time to move on so be it.

5. Likes Blairbob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the feedback everyone! Nice to hear from you, as most of you have been here since the beginning.

Regarding Reddit: I think the reason why Reddit has succeeded is twofold. Firstly the ability to create your own subreddit is a big component. You already have a built in audience because it's Reddit...but you get to carve out your own little slice of it and take ownership.

Secondly, I think almost all technologies collapse into one eventually. We'll likely see 1-2 major streaming services take over all streaming in the future. Sirius combined with XM. Major motor corporations combined all the smaller brands into one, basically. Google bought Youtube, Facebook bought IG...it's just the nature of the world.

Anywho...let me take some suggestions under consideration and make a decision. Ultimately it's not really that much of a hassle to just keep this thing planted on the internet, however, when it comes to the internet, if you're not growing, you're dying.

7. Likes Hawkpeter, Blairbob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the feedback everyone! Nice to hear from you, as most of you have been here since the beginning.

Regarding Reddit: I think the reason why Reddit has succeeded is twofold. Firstly the ability to create your own subreddit is a big component. You already have a built in audience because it's Reddit...but you get to carve out your own little slice of it and take ownership.

Secondly, I think almost all technologies collapse into one eventually. We'll likely see 1-2 major streaming services take over all streaming in the future. Sirius combined with XM. Major motor corporations combined all the smaller brands into one, basically. Google bought Youtube, Facebook bought IG...it's just the nature of the world.

Anywho...let me take some suggestions under consideration and make a decision. Ultimately it's not really that much of a hassle to just keep this thing planted on the internet, however, when it comes to the internet, if you're not growing, you're dying.
    I think there will be more activity here once the big comps start happening again. Even r/weightlifting is quieter since the comps stopped imo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Regarding the issue of regular content, perhaps deputizing a few posters to create a roster of posting a weekly subject of discussion instead of leaving it to be completely organic might keep interaction higher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Random thoughts on this:

I've been busy too and haven't been on much.

I like the forum, but I wish it was more active.

I basically just use the forum as a quick reference training log these days.

I still check the main area hoping for new posts.

Reddit is cancer.

There isn't much weightlifting news, because there isn't much weightlifting.

The slow down could be because the entire world has slowed down, but the forum was slowing down even before the virus.

I hope some of the members return when weightlifting returns.

11. Likes mbasic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    *Do you still like the forum and want to see it go on? Yes. I haven't been posting as much as I would like in the last year. I think the bot invasion really killed off a lot of the userbase that never returned like Mr. Wittmer and such.

*Do you want to take it over? Not really. I would hate to see it disappear. There is one coach on reddit/Instagram named Ted Lim from Texas who had mentioned something that he would hate to see it disappear when it went down for some technical work. To the point, he might have thought about taking it over if need be. By all means, you could post to the subreddit and see if there were any interested parties.

1. I would hate to have to backup and find somewhere else to log my stuff though I suppose I could just in notepad though that's a mess or googleDocs. I could use a notebook but I actually prefer typing to writing and I don't have to worry about misplacing my notebooks.

2. I prefer the higher level discussion here, particularly among adults and not the Under18 crowd though sometimes the under21/25 crowd are equally as much of a problem.

*Am I an asshole? Nah. From what I get, I think you are a bit burned out on the sport. Maybe you're a bit burned out for coaching it because I have definitely felt that way since mid 2019 to the point of I don't care if I ever coached again unless it was my kid or something. I'm perfectly content just dropping into gyms and training and being that guy people know used to coach and is just doing his own thing. I love watching and looking at the technical side but I definitely don't want to be near the day to day duties of coaching ever again (pretty much same for gymnastics but for different reasons like I would prefer to be doing different things with my time).

While everyone had suspected the doping that was going on and some of the corruption but just not on the level that is has been. Maybe that also is part of your disinterest in the sport these days.

Also, maybe fitness for the general population became more of a priority than WL at the local or regional sense for you. It's very hard to keep a club going. Even in Sacramento, 2 clubs have disappeared in the last few years and a few other WL spots that had some WL. 3 that I could name. And that's in a city of 2 million people (metropolitan area). I can remember when I could count 37 CrossFits in the area and that didn't include all the "S&C# gyms in the area besides that. I just counted 24 besides a few in Davis/Woodland/ElDoradoHills. There are more S&C gyms now and I don't know if that reflects any that might have deaffiliated in September (where as some may have just decided to not renew their affiliation when it comes up)

*What do you think the future holds for Weightlifting itself? Fuck if I know but at best I don't think it will ever much more than a niche sport. Hopefully it stays even if it shrinks because the base format is very primal. Lift a heavyass weight above your head, lift more than anyone else. It would be like Wrestling or Boxing or Gymnastics disappearing. Very old sports that date back to Greece in a way.

WL news definitely has slowed down since Covid though the IWF drama has sometimes been the only thing new besides stuff like Pat's book and the McClaren report. They finally figured out how to do some online international competitions so that's kinda cool but it's right on the level of watching the streamed USAW competitions with lower production quality. Still, it's very interesting to see them compete in their training gyms or garages at some level.

I wish more redditors would come over here for higher level discussion but that doesn't seem to be the case of the younger participants who don't walk around with their heads up their asses a significant portion of the time. They are perfectly content to keep their discussion there even if they mostly interact with reddit on their phones.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Blairbob View Post
    *Do you still like the forum and want to see it go on? Yes. I haven't been posting as much as I would like in the last year. I think the bot invasion really killed off a lot of the userbase that never returned like Mr. Wittmer and such.

*Do you want to take it over? Not really. I would hate to see it disappear. There is one coach on reddit/Instagram named Ted Lim from Texas who had mentioned something that he would hate to see it disappear when it went down for some technical work. To the point, he might have thought about taking it over if need be. By all means, you could post to the subreddit and see if there were any interested parties.

1. I would hate to have to backup and find somewhere else to log my stuff though I suppose I could just in notepad though that's a mess or googleDocs. I could use a notebook but I actually prefer typing to writing and I don't have to worry about misplacing my notebooks.

2. I prefer the higher level discussion here, particularly among adults and not the Under18 crowd though sometimes the under21/25 crowd are equally as much of a problem.

*Am I an asshole? Nah. From what I get, I think you are a bit burned out on the sport. Maybe you're a bit burned out for coaching it because I have definitely felt that way since mid 2019 to the point of I don't care if I ever coached again unless it was my kid or something. I'm perfectly content just dropping into gyms and training and being that guy people know used to coach and is just doing his own thing. I love watching and looking at the technical side but I definitely don't want to be near the day to day duties of coaching ever again (pretty much same for gymnastics but for different reasons like I would prefer to be doing different things with my time).

While everyone had suspected the doping that was going on and some of the corruption but just not on the level that is has been. Maybe that also is part of your disinterest in the sport these days.

Also, maybe fitness for the general population became more of a priority than WL at the local or regional sense for you. It's very hard to keep a club going. Even in Sacramento, 2 clubs have disappeared in the last few years and a few other WL spots that had some WL. 3 that I could name. And that's in a city of 2 million people (metropolitan area). I can remember when I could count 37 CrossFits in the area and that didn't include all the "S&C# gyms in the area besides that. I just counted 24 besides a few in Davis/Woodland/ElDoradoHills. There are more S&C gyms now and I don't know if that reflects any that might have deaffiliated in September (where as some may have just decided to not renew their affiliation when it comes up)

*What do you think the future holds for Weightlifting itself? Fuck if I know but at best I don't think it will ever much more than a niche sport. Hopefully it stays even if it shrinks because the base format is very primal. Lift a heavyass weight above your head, lift more than anyone else. It would be like Wrestling or Boxing or Gymnastics disappearing. Very old sports that date back to Greece in a way.

WL news definitely has slowed down since Covid though the IWF drama has sometimes been the only thing new besides stuff like Pat's book and the McClaren report. They finally figured out how to do some online international competitions so that's kinda cool but it's right on the level of watching the streamed USAW competitions with lower production quality. Still, it's very interesting to see them compete in their training gyms or garages at some level.

I wish more redditors would come over here for higher level discussion but that doesn't seem to be the case of the younger participants who don't walk around with their heads up their asses a significant portion of the time. They are perfectly content to keep their discussion there even if they mostly interact with reddit on their phones.
    pretty good synopsis here ^

1st off, the huge momentum Crossfit had given O.W.L. has substantially stalled I think (see: Rebok/noBull sponsoring The Games).
    Its taken a decade or so .... but that time has come it seems.

Also, I'd +1 that I've lost interest in the sport due to lack of comps (C19) and the whole IWF/Drugs fiasco ordeal.

TBH, the whole Ajan/PEDs/IWF-cant-get-out-of-their-own-way thing is the only reason I paying attention really anymore. Just want to see what it looks like when this slow motion train wreck finally comes to a stop.
    Its not about the lifting anymore.

Sure, everyone knew there was likely a lot of drugs in the sport.
    But all of the collective recent garbage that has come out, in its entirety, how wide spread and/or "juvenile" it all is (simple bribes, doppelgangers, stealing samples out of labs, etc) .... is making it all disinteresting. Hard to stay focused for a fan/spectator when "your guy", who is only going to finish 6th overall, is getting displaced a place or two down by a drug user who would otherwise be a B or C group lifter.

Watching Ilya, Rahimov etal wilt into shell versions is kinda off putting.

No one can really beat China, except supers.
    (NorKor gives them a run for their money, lolz)
    The only way is to limit/reduce their spots in meets.
    Its like how the Warriors/superteams made the NBA kinda bleh to watch.
    Imagine that going on for decades(WL) instead of 2 or 3 seasons (NBA).

Young juniors getting busted for anabolics ?
    Young girls on test?
    ~40 y.o. M-t-F dude-bro getting regional Golds and in the conversation of getting a Olympic spot in a strength sport?
    JFC ^

Olympics / IOC is turning into a big ol' joke now in general.
    Some of sports they let in are ridiculous, and the foolishness displacing some legit ones.

----------------------------

The sport will die a slow death IMO.
    I'd totally understand if the WLForum site got s-canned.
    Just let it die. Not worth it man ...

God bless that Seb guy at WLHouse for staying with it...

14. Likes celicaxx liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Another thing I've mentioned here before, (if you want more traffic here and/or to 'save' the site)
    we/you need a whole sub-forum(s) for technique checks.
    Lumping all of entirety of technique checks into one thread is no bueno.

...seems like this would be a good utility for this place.
    That's a lot of what the reddit WL sub is, but reddit doesn't lend it self to long drawn out conversations/threads.
    Say a guy posts a snatch, and has a problem with X.
    Suggestions are made by the other members.
    Two months later reposts another video, showing the progress or lack thereof, or now its problem Y.
    More suggestions are made and so on.
    ....seems a BB format like this is better for that than reddit or facebook.

Maybe a subforum for cleans, one for jerks, and one for snatches (and one for 'other': squats, acc's., etc) ...

Each of the Lift-subforums headed up with a sticky-post full of standard/common correctives exercises for common problems for that particular lift.

People can search through there, or browse, and maybe diagnose their possible problems by seeing what other people did... "man, i bump the bar out really bad ... oh hey, look this guy had the same issue...<click>..."

16. Likes Hawkpeter, Blairbob liked this post