Likes Likes:  13
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: European Championship Entry list - Provisonal list

Post Thanks / Like
    I had forgotten about the geo-political elements at play in these European championships.

102's had Armenia 1st and 2nd, Azerbaijan 3rd - no love lost between those countries that just had a border conflict last year. Meanwhile Dmitry Chumak had a spicey post on IG that got a rise out of the Russian Weightlifting IG page.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by erpel View Post
    Last year their junior Yordanov was banned for exogenous test, however he lifts for a German club so it's possible the sample was taken there.

As for the young Genchev, do you know if he's the son? It's a common Bulgarian surname I think.
    He looks exactly like Angel when he shaved his head in 1987, I'm just making a strong association between lifting and the name. I wonder if Hristov in the 109s has any relation to the Hristov from the 70s. It could just be coincidental.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkpeter
    I had forgotten about the geo-political elements at play in these European championships.
    Parroting my post from Reddit: I assume it's very personal for Chumak because his hometown (Skadovsk) is spitting distance from Crimea. There has been tensions well before and after Russia decided invade. I remember in 2013 when I was there for a wedding there was a woman selling USSR paraphernalia at an outdoor shop and screaming off customers with words such as "Death to Ukraine!"
    Last edited by b_degennaro; 04-11-2021 at 08:33 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Out of twelve "SHW" women here, six are clearly W87 lifters.

4. Likes Blairbob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is Lasha the greatest ever? His mobility and movement at 176kgs is genuinely insane.

Post Thanks / Like
    Definitely the best ever Super, both in weights lifted and how he moves

Anyone putting a bet on seeing a 500 total from him in Tokyo? He looks capable for sure..

Post Thanks / Like
    Talakhadze's positioning with the barbell and the consistency thereof is certainly the main reason why his total is now 485. If he had the sloppy technique of Chemerkin et al. his numbers would be 10kg+ lower.

---
    More post-Euro thoughts:

Russia has a good women's team now and I believe them to be clean (though some of them weren't in the past).

Bulgaria has 2+2 spots for Tokyo, however they didn't enter their only woman who's in the running (Pandova W49). Weird.

All of the totals in the Olympic categories with the exception of 109+ will be dwarfed by the Asian results.
    Last edited by erpel; 04-14-2021 at 11:00 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by b_degennaro View Post
    He looks exactly like Angel when he shaved his head in 1987, I'm just making a strong association between lifting and the name. I wonder if Hristov in the 109s has any relation to the Hristov from the 70s. It could just be coincidental.
    There's also Vasil Marinov who competed at 102 here, he could be the son of Sevdalin who won in Seoul at 52 (which would make this a bit funny).

And since we're on the topic of family relations:

I'm about 70% sure Arsen Martirosyan is the younger brother of Simon, he's like a more handsome version of him.
    And I'm 90% sure Kakhi Asanidze is the son of Georgi, he looks exactly like his possible father did in the 90s.

9. Likes Blairbob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by erpel View Post
    And I'm 90% sure Kakhi Asanidze is the son of Georgi, he looks exactly like his possible father did in the 90s.
    I believe K. Asanidze is Georgi's son as well as another brother who lifts (Saba).

11. Likes Blairbob liked this post